A Question That Has Haunted Me - What If 2017 Draft Was Different By That Trade Back ?

T master

Okay let me first say that i am ecstatic that we have Josh Allen as our QB he fits exactly what the Bills are in most every way a guy that had to work & is still working to be the best version of himself every year not only for the Bills but the community yet i have often wondered or had this question of what if ?

In 2017 the Bills got a really good player in the first round of the draft & i understand why they traded away there pick to the Chiefs to add draft capital to add other picks & even though Tre White has been a really good player taken in the 1st for the Bills just what would the Bills look like if they would have kept that pick instead of trading it & drafted Mahomes ? 🤔

Has any on else here ever wondered just what might have been if that would have taken place ? Also i wonder the thoughts of those in charge of that draft about Mahomes did they think he wasn't that good or was there something they heard in a interview that they didn't like ?

In 2017 that was the year before Beane came here correct ? Whaley was still the GM at the time or am i thinking wrong, i know we got Josh in 2018 which again i am very glad of he is a beast but this question has alway haunted me in some ways would the Bills now have 2 SB's under their belt if that would have happened ?

Or in part is the reason why Mahomes is so good is because of the leadership of the offensive guru that is Andy Reid ? I know this is a question that would only be answered if we had a crystal ball to see what the change would be like but was wondering if you all have thought this as i have .

I know we all have had thoughts in the past of why certain players were passed over & hind sight is definitely 20/20 to all the arm chair QB's in the Bills mafia but after seeing what Mahomes has been able to do in the relatively short time he has been in the NFL i ask the "What IF" question & wonder if any here have done the same ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

T, enough on the what if in 2017.  If you truly love Josh, moving on that’s it.  No rethinking every decision they’ve ever made and Whaley was fired the day after draft day and brake was hired immediately.  If you do t think beane was talking under the radar with McD who hand picked him, we’ll.

josh Super Allen is our leader and is who is best for Buffalo.  We have lots of other opportunities to improve and no argument from me.

it’s certainly not Josh as the problem.  I’ll take him over Mahomes anyday and that doesn’t mean I do t think Mahones is the best outside of Josh.

Josh will impress you but maybe 15 years will need you to be impressed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve thought about this as well. Mahomes has had the best start of any qb in the history of the league in terms of championships and individual records. With or without Reid he was going to be elite and taken any team to contention and probably a title. So of course Bills fans will wonder what if. But I truly think even if the Bills didn’t make that trade they wouldn’t have taken Mahomes at 10. They didn’t have the coaching foresight to see the talent in him. Not many did otherwise he’d went #1.

Edited by 90sBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

Whaley and monos have talked about mahomes and that draft at length on ty dunnes podcast a few times.  
terry loved mahomes. And as much as he may love josh. Everytime he sees mahomes im sure he thinks what if…

i know people here hate whaley but he and monos have been open about things and self deprecating on that pod. Good listens for sure. They dont try to pass the blame of what happened in their tenure with the bills. 

55 minutes ago, T master said:

Okay let me first say that i am ecstatic that we have Josh Allen as our QB he fits exactly what the Bills are in most every way a guy that had to work & is still working to be the best version of himself every year not only for the Bills but the community yet i have often wondered or had this question of what if ?

In 2017 the Bills got a really good player in the first round of the draft & i understand why they traded away there pick to the Chiefs to add draft capital to add other picks & even though Tre White has been a really good player taken in the 1st for the Bills just what would the Bills look like if they would have kept that pick instead of trading it & drafted Mahomes ? 🤔

Has any on else here ever wondered just what might have been if that would have taken place ? Also i wonder the thoughts of those in charge of that draft about Mahomes did they think he wasn't that good or was there something they heard in a interview that they didn't like ?

In 2017 that was the year before Beane came here correct ? Whaley was still the GM at the time or am i thinking wrong, i know we got Josh in 2018 which again i am very glad of he is a beast but this question has alway haunted me in some ways would the Bills now have 2 SB's under their belt if that would have happened ?

Or in part is the reason why Mahomes is so good is because of the leadership of the offensive guru that is Andy Reid ? I know this is a question that would only be answered if we had a crystal ball to see what the change would be like but was wondering if you all have thought this as i have .

I know we all have had thoughts in the past of why certain players were passed over & hind sight is definitely 20/20 to all the arm chair QB's in the Bills mafia but after seeing what Mahomes has been able to do in the relatively short time he has been in the NFL i ask the "What IF" question & wonder if any here have done the same ? 

Here's my take on this alt history scenario:

The Bill's draft Mahomes in 2017.  He plays behind Tyrod for a while but is then thrown to the wolves later that year.  The Bills squeak into the playoffs because of the Bengals miracle in Baltimore but they lose the playoff game as their rookie QB, without much help on the offense, struggles in his first layoff game.  In 2018 the Bills have to liquidate their offense and Mahomes struggles. Things get better over the next 4 years as DaBald and Bean add talent to the offense and Mahomes exhibits elite QBing skills.  But the SB eludes the Bills as they lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs a couple of times.

KC selects Josh Allen in 2018 with the idea that he will be developed behind Alex Smith.  Smith goes down half way through the season and Allen comes in and shines in Reid's O.  His rocket arm turns Kelsey & Hill into even deadlier weapons and his surprising running ability lead the Chiefs to the SB where they lose a close game to LA.  In 2019 Allen breaks out and directs a largely unstoppable Chiefs O that powers KC to SB victory's in 3 of their next 4 seasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Allen > Mahomes. Mahomes has arguably the greatest offensive minded coach in history, along with a top 5 tight end in history, and a really solid offensive line.

If Allen had Reid + Kelce + offensive line, then he would win MVP and the superbowl every year for the next decade.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s been pretty plainly stated that the Bills liked Mahomes but McDermott didn’t think it would send a good message to the roster if they picked him at 10. They were only taking him if they traded back and he was available. At least according to Tyler Dunne: https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-i-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Allen > Mahomes. Mahomes has arguably the greatest offensive minded coach in history, along with a top 5 tight end in history, and a really solid offensive line.

If Allen had Reid + Kelce + offensive line, then he would win MVP and the superbowl every year for the next decade.

Agreed.  But Allen also makes far more mistakes (INT,Fumbles) than Mahomes does.    We love Allen for what he has brought to Buffalo, but he needs to tighten his game if he wants to win championships.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Here's my take on this alt history scenario:

The Bill's draft Mahomes in 2017.  He plays behind Tyrod for a while but is then thrown to the wolves later that year.  The Bills squeak into the playoffs because of the Bengals miracle in Baltimore but they lose the playoff game as their rookie QB, without much help on the offense, struggles in his first layoff game.  In 2018 the Bills have to liquidate their offense and Mahomes struggles. Things get better over the next 4 years as DaBald and Bean add talent to the offense and Mahomes exhibits elite QBing skills.  But the SB eludes the Bills as they lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs a couple of times.

KC selects Josh Allen in 2018 with the idea that he will be developed behind Alex Smith.  Smith goes down half way through the season and Allen comes in and shines in Reid's O.  His rocket arm turns Kelsey & Hill into even deadlier weapons and his surprising running ability lead the Chiefs to the SB where they lose a close game to LA.  In 2019 Allen breaks out and directs a largely unstoppable Chiefs O that powers KC to SB victory's in 3 of their next 4 seasons.

Same way I see it… Mahomes and Allen are pretty much equal in talent, ITS THE COACHES!!!! Mahomes has one of the best play designers , and always seems to call the right play at the right time… guys wide open for walk in T.D in the Super Bowl. And Allen has Dorsey a rookie play caller. Who doesn’t know how to design plays. Look at our running backs for that evidence, I just hope Dorsey learned a lot last year or it might be two years wasted, and us finding a new OC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.