This might be the perfect WR class for the Bills to draft one in the mid rounds

18 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I agree that there are some darn good, even potentially elite slot WRs in this class, but personally I think that Shakir is also in that category.  I'm still in the mindset that you go with linebacker or OL UNLESS by some chance an amazing talent slips to us at WR.

In our TSW mock draft we selected Addison but then look what happened...  we went D-line??? with linebacker and OT still the biggest need.  I voted D-line too, but it was a "painted into a corner" pick.

Nah I'd rather do a minor reach for linebacker in the first, and then have more freedom to pick WR in round two.  The GREAT thing is that to your original point this draft is fairly deep with WRs that could make an impact (including second and third round prospects).

Again, it's one of the worst drafts at WR in recent memory. There are some folks you could consider later, but it doesn't negate the lack of quality at the position. I would actually consider trading up for JSN before I took a LB at 27.

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Again, it's one of the worst drafts at WR in recent memory. There are some folks you could consider later, but it doesn't negate the lack of quality at the position. I would actually consider trading up for JSN before I took a LB at 27.

I would trade up for Flowers…he’s just too explosive- a game changer…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I would trade up for Flowers…

I'm not as high on him as you, but a lot of folks like him. I'd consider him at 27, but I don't see him as a fella I would trade up for.

I've got a Dalton Kincaid fixation, so if it's between him and Flowers, I'm going with Kincaid, even though folks are skeptical that Dorsey would be willing and able to employ 12 personnel as a base formation.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not as high on him as you, but a lot of folks like him. I'd consider him at 27, but I don't see him as a fella I would trade up for.

I've got a Dalton Kincaid fixation, so if it's between him and Flowers, I'm going with Kincaid, even though folks are skeptical that Dorsey would be willing and able to employ 12 personnel as a base formation.

Love Kincaid- his play style reminds me of Kelce- very fluid hips, great hands, and excellent football IQ…One of my favorite players in the draft…

I could see him eventually bumping Knox to #2, but I don’t think the Bills will want to draft a TE in the 1st, especially considering how deep  the position is and the horrible Knox contract…

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Love Kincaid- his play style reminds me of Kelce- very fluid hips, great hands, and excellent football IQ…One of my favorite players in the draft…

I could see him eventually bumping Knox to #2, but I don’t think the Bills will want to draft a TE in the 1st, especially considering how deep  the position is…

If you think Kincaid is a young Kelce, you better take him in the 1st. If they pass on him, I am for going a different direction at the position and trading up from 59 to get Darnell Washington. Along with Matthew Bergeron, they are my three favorites in this draft.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

JSN actually has the best short area quickness of any reciever in the draft. 

Better 20 yard shuttle that Tyreek Hill even. 

He isn't consider elite bc he doesn't have top end speed, but I actually think he might be the best fit for this Bills offense. We're lacking the sure handed possession receiver that can move the sticks on any given play. Aka the security blanket. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

If you think Kincaid is a young Kelce, you better take him in the 1st. If they pass on him, I am for going a different direction at the position and trading up from 59 to get Darnell Washington. Along with Matthew Bergeron, they are my three favorites in this draft.

My biggest fear in the Bills trade up for Campbell…

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I could see him eventually bumping Knox to #2, but I don’t think the Bills will want to draft a TE in the 1st, especially considering how deep  the position is…

I would rather him over Flowers. This is a year where 3rd and 4th rounders will probably be looking like ones. Having 2 TEs don't mean we have to run 12.

I think Dorsey won a championship with Shockey and Winslow so I'm guessing he knows when to use it. I think Kincaid's gonna be a perennial pro bowler.

I wouldn't expect Knox to play every snap. I think that Kincaid would do more for the WR core and offense vs. a possible MacKenzie.

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

I would rather him over Flowers. This is a year where 3rd and 4th rounders will probably be looking like ones. Having 2 TEs don't mean we have to run 12.

I think Dorsey won a championship with Shockey and Winslow so I'm guessing he knows when to use it. I think Kincaid's gonna be a perennial pro bowler.

I wouldn't expect Knox to play every snap. I think that Kincaid would do more for the WR core and offense vs. a possible MacKenzie.

I really think this should be the play. If I am Beane, I would trade up a bit to make sure I get him.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I really think this should be the play. If I am Beane, I would trade up a bit to make sure I get him.

I'm not counting on it. It could be very slim pickens by 23 or so. I think it would cost to much to even go to 20. It would have to be a 2024 pick(s).

I actually like Campbell as possibly being the BPA.   27...31...what's the big diff.?  He's gonna be ready to go game one and most likely give us better all around play then Edmunds. Not many questions as to what he'll give us. He's already being trained up by McD's star protege'.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem is that it's a general consensus among OL coaches that most young OL are a liability until year 3.    Whoever the Bills draft in round 1 or 2 to play OL will likely be terrible and not be better than the veteran option on the roster in 2023.   There are exceptions but you have to be prepared to grade on a curve and as a SB contender we will not be down with that.    If they took Wright or Bergeron, for example, they would likely get a season out of them like they got from the injury-recovering Spencer Brown last season.   OL is a long term play.   Ideally whoever they take does not have to play much next season.

WR on the other hand........yeah they often take half a season to adjust but they can be more impactful as rookies.   Individually speaking I think a WR taken in round 1-3 is more likely to have a positive impact in year 1.

This WR class is just so underwhelming that I don't think given where we pick would be much of an upgrade of what we have right now.  Next year's class has to be better.  Right?  I'm thinking more long term with Josh anyways.  I'd prefer a tackle that can play both sides and push Spencer Brown for his job.  Maybe eventually take over for Dion Dawkins.  My ideal first three picks would be something along the lines of Wright in the first, Campbell or Sanders in the 2nd, and then maybe take a chance on someone like Mauch (assuming Avilia is off the board) in the 3rd.  Kick him inside to develop as a guard.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I'm not counting on it. It could be very slim pickens by 23 or so. I think it would cost to much to even go to 20. It would have to be a 2024 pick(s).

I actually like Campbell as possibly being the BPA.   27...31...what's the big diff.?  He's gonna be ready to go game one and most likely give us better all around play then Edmunds. Not many questions as to what he'll give us. He's already being trained up by McD's star protege'.

I understand. I have a feeling Beane is going to make a move up if an offensive playmaker gets in range, but that may be delusion. The other part of me thinks he's going to stick with D. I strongly disagree with you Campbellites, but I don't like to argue religious differences in a football forum so I'll leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This WR class is just so underwhelming that I don't think given where we pick would be much of an upgrade of what we have right now.  Next year's class has to be better.  Right?  I'm thinking more long term with Josh anyways.  I'd prefer a tackle that can play both sides and push Spencer Brown for his job.  Maybe eventually take over for Dion Dawkins.  My ideal first three picks would be something along the lines of Wright in the first, Campbell or Sanders in the 2nd, and then maybe take a chance on someone like Mauch (assuming Avilia is off the board) in the 3rd.  Kick him inside to develop as a guard.

One of the posters I find insightful @MrEpsYtown doesn't think Wright pushes Brown year one and is not a prudent pick at 27. @BADOLBILZ argues that OL normally take years to develop. I like Paris Johnson or even Broderick Jones in the first, but they won't be there.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He won’t be there @ 27

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I actually think in a weak draft it's more likely he trades up a few spots. We know Beane likes to come out of the draft with a legitimate 1st round graded player. It's why he traded up slightly for Elam last year. If a 1st round graded player drops to maybe 20, I think he goes up and gets him.

The name I keep coming back to is Quentin Johnston. Elite physical traits, fills a need, high football character. I'd be shocked if Beane didn't have a 1st round grade on him.

Last year Beane traded down several times in the 2nd round which indicated he had no 2nd round graded players left on the board. The year before he had a trade down in place in the 2nd round but stood pat and drafted Basham because their grade on him was too high to pass up. So I believe that if Beane does not trade up and there are no 1st round graded players left on the board, he will try as hard as he can to trade down before making a selection.

Yeah, you could be right. I just think that the Bills have too many needs to give up a draft pick. We only have 6 picks in this draft and trading up would make it even less. Beane always surprises, though. If there is a year where he doesn't make a splash trade up, IMHO, this is that year. A trade up would be a huge risk, because it could really screw up the remainder of the draft board. It's not like he has a lot of draft capital to work with.

16 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Interesting angle. But Shakir could be that guy and had pretty good scouting reports last year. So do we double down and draft someone just for the sake of slot competition with Shakir? Or did the staff suddenly lose faith in him after seeing him every day for a year.

I won't be against drafting a slot guy but I hope it's not with the first. Shore up the O-line and draft a slot guy in the third or fourth.

When a team drafts a guy in the 5th round, they generally hope he can develop into a good player, but they aren't counting on it.

I don't think the Bills "suddenly lost faith" in Shakir. 

I think they looked at him as a 5th round player - a guy with a lot of potential, who had played at a low level of competition, and who was gonna need time to develop.  He did some good stuff last season - made some excellent downfield catches - and he had some struggles.  He had some early inactive games and some early chances at significant playing time, and what he showed didn't bump him up the depth chart. 

He started getting more playing time towards the end of the season, but I don't think he ever got to a point where they were like "Yeah, he's Da Man" at slot.

I would absolutely support drafting OL early, but I think we've drafted enough late-round WR and we really need to make an early round investment. 

Among other things, I did an assessment a while back of, if a player became a solid starter in the NFL, how long did it take?  Of course individuals varied, but overall players who were drafted in the 1st-2nd round were usually starting by their 2nd season if they were going to start.  But, starting players drafted in the 4th round or later could take 3+ years to earn a starting shot.

• Like (+1) 1

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to This might be the perfect WR class for the Bills to draft one in the mid rounds
1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. But strong with those 2nd to mid round talents.

Do people think we only have 1 draft choice this year or something?

I think the folks you are calling strong 2nd to mid rounders only look that way compared to the weak top of the draft. It's not a good year to draft wr. I think your OP is just way off. I would take Hyatt, Downs, or Flowers in the second. Hyatt might be there at 59. 

I changed the title. I don't think many of you got my point.

There are 14 WRs ranked in the top 100 (Brugler). I think some of you are bizarrely of the belief that it's 1st round WR or bust because no one else will be worthwhile.

I think that's misguided 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the folks you are calling strong 2nd to mid rounders only look that way compared to the weak top of the draft. It's not a good year to draft wr. I think your OP is just way off. I would take Hyatt, Downs, or Flowers in the second. Hyatt might be there at 59. 

I disagree 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.