London Updated

corta765

1 hour ago, OGTEleven said:

Well, the Bills are a small market team performing well of late with a loyal long starved fan base.  Why not drive 6 hours and see another team like that with an intro like this:

I think St James's is my favourite stadium in England since they ruined Anfield. Brilliant atmosphere and being in Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night after they have won is like a non stop party.

But their recent improvement is not exactly a little guy done good tale so much as it is is a nation state buys a football club tale.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think St James's is my favourite stadium in England since they ruined Anfield. Brilliant atmosphere and being in Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night after they have won is like a non stop party.

But their recent improvement is not exactly a little guy done good tale so much as it is is a nation state buys a football club tale.

The hilarious one will be when Everton has to open their brand new harbor front stadium in the lower division. Yikes! 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! Thanks… I always forget about Crystal Palace. 

To be fair, Palace are quite forgettable (although I would say that, as a Brighton fan 😁). If the Bills trip to London coincides with a home game for Brighton then I'll be only too happy to advise on ticketing/travel. Depending on where you start from in London, you can get to The Amex in around an hour and a quarter by train. Brighton is a good option if you fancy seeing somewhere a bit 'different', and match tickets aren't completely unobtainable in the same way as the top London clubs. 

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

To be fair, Palace are quite forgettable (although I would say that, as a Brighton fan 😁). If the Bills trip to London coincides with a home game for Brighton then I'll be only too happy to advise on ticketing/travel. Depending on where you start from in London, you can get to The Amex in around an hour and a quarter by train. Brighton is a good option if you fancy seeing somewhere a bit 'different', and match tickets aren't completely unobtainable in the same way as the top London clubs. 

Thanks!

We always stay just above the park at Kensington. Near Bayswater station. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do tell. There’s gotta be a story connected to that. Sky diving? 

It was a hell of a bender. Basically flew the red eye overnight  got to Ireland the day of the rugby World Cup which was followed by the bengals game. I couldn’t fall asleep on the plan and basically they shut the lights out and everyone was asleep but me and it was free liquor on the flight.  The Irish won their rugby match that day which was wild and then we ran into a bunch of bills fans and we got smoked by the bengals which just kept it going. My girlfriend passed out and somehow I was wired and ended up at a strip club which is my last memory of the night. I walked in and I swear to god all the strippers were sleeping on the couches.  I asked the Bartender what happened and he was like the rugby World Cup wore em out! 
somehow I made it back to my condo as I have no recollection and I came in loud as hell and my now wife was in bed and im like let’s get it on and run and jump on the bed but jumped right over top of her bounced on the edge of the bed and back of my head on the night stand. I crawled to the bathroom and it was a murder scene. She’s a nurse so she like butterflied it for the night. I slept in the tub. 

I woke up the next morning with no idea what happened and what’s wrong with my head. She was like don’t be a ***** get ready we have to get on a train for Belfast. I kept asking her how bad it looks and she’s like you’re fine don’t touch it. We’re in line and I ask this lady how bad my head looked she goes Jesus ***** Christ what happened? She ended up super gluing it together lol

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Only time I’ve been to Brighton it was the Goldstone. 11am kick off on a Thursday morning.

The first game had been abandoned following on pitch protests by the Brighton fans. 

I was still at school so probably 1995/96 time. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Villa Park and Hillsborough for

me. 

10 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Villa Park and Hillsborough for

me. 

Ugh. I HATE Villa Park. It is like bottom of my list. Just something about the place. Hillsborough is good though. Although I haven't been for about 20 years. I was there the Di Canio day....

36 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

It was a hell of a bender. Basically flew the red eye overnight  got to Ireland the day of the rugby World Cup which was followed by the bengals game. I couldn’t fall asleep on the plan and basically they shut the lights out and everyone was asleep but me and it was free liquor on the flight.  The Irish won their rugby match that day which was wild and then we ran into a bunch of bills fans and we got smoked by the bengals which just kept it going. My girlfriend passed out and somehow I was wired and ended up at a strip club which is my last memory of the night. I walked in and I swear to god all the strippers were sleeping on the couches.  I asked the Bartender what happened and he was like the rugby World Cup wore em out! 
somehow I made it back to my condo as I have no recollection and I came in loud as hell and my now wife was in bed and im like let’s get it on and run and jump on the bed but jumped right over top of her bounced on the edge of the bed and back of my head on the night stand. I crawled to the bathroom and it was a murder scene. She’s a nurse so she like butterflied it for the night. I slept in the tub. 

I woke up the next morning with no idea what happened and what’s wrong with my head. She was like don’t be a ***** get ready we have to get on a train for Belfast. I kept asking her how bad it looks and she’s like you’re fine don’t touch it. We’re in line and I ask this lady how bad my head looked she goes Jesus ***** Christ what happened? She ended up super gluing it together lol

As Paul Harvey would’ve said…”and now you know the rest of the story”. (For a minute there we were headed into Penthouse Forum territory.)

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

As Paul Harvey would’ve said…”and now you know the rest of the story”. (For a minute there we were headed into Penthouse Forum territory.)

Lol it would have been…dear penthouse forum….I had whisky Dick 

14 hours ago, BritBill said:

Teams played in London last season and didn't have a bye week the week after. It's not an automatic given.

According to NFL schedule guru interview  it the team's choice whether teams take a bye then. 

Many teams have adjust to travel to England and do not feel they need a bye.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ugh. I HATE Villa Park. It is like bottom of my list. Just something about the place. Hillsborough is good though. Although I haven't been for about 20 years. I was there the Di Canio day....

When Winterburn ***** himself 🤣

Villa park was the first "other" ground I went to. Was about 1990/91. We'd played a game in Walsall and then went to Villa v Sheff Wed after. It finished 1-1. We were in the Trinity Road but at the Holte End side. I found the Holte End breath taking at the time. Went back late 2000s to watch England v Holland. Terrible game but still found Villa Park beautiful. 

12 hours ago, BritBill said:

Only time I’ve been to Brighton it was the Goldstone. 11am kick off on a Thursday morning.

The first game had been abandoned following on pitch protests by the Brighton fans. 

I was still at school so probably 1995/96 time. 

Yep, I was at that one (vs York City I think). Right in the middle of our 'war years'. If you'd have told me then that almost 30 years on, after three different home grounds, Brighton would be pushing for a European place in front of sellout 32,000 crowds in a state of the art new stadium I would have questioned your sanity. 

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

When Winterburn ***** himself 🤣

Villa park was the first "other" ground I went to. Was about 1990/91. We'd played a game in Walsall and then went to Villa v Sheff Wed after. It finished 1-1. We were in the Trinity Road but at the Holte End side. I found the Holte End breath taking at the time. Went back late 2000s to watch England v Holland. Terrible game but still found Villa Park beautiful. 

Yea and we lost 1-0 to 10 men with an injury time goal from their backup left back (think he was name Lee Briscoe?) 

I've just always found Villa Park very "meh". The atmosphere whenever I have been has ranged from "non-existent" to "toxic." I hate the tunnel in the corner thing, I don't think the view from the away section is all that great. I am normally a fan of the older grounds, I love Goodison despite the fact the facilities are atrocious, it smells, and it shakes... I just find Villa Park a bit soulless. 

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Yep, I was at that one (vs York City I think). Right in the middle of our 'war years'. If you'd have told me then that almost 30 years on, after three different home grounds, Brighton would be pushing for a European place in front of sellout 32,000 crowds in a state of the art new stadium I would have questioned your sanity. 

And be one of the best run clubs in the country. It is the great shift of the last 15 years in English football I think that it kind of didn't used to matter if a club was a bit of a basket case behind the scenes, you could stumble across a good manager, sign a few star players and be successful. I don't think you can do that now. You look at the clubs who are being successful (relative to their status) and it is clubs who have really nailed it off the pitch, have a club strategy and ethos and bring managers and players in that fit that ethos rather than building around a manager or star players. Brighton, Brentford, Luton etc... on the other hand Manchester United have outspent everyone since Ferguson retired but have lurched from half baked strategy to half baked strategy hiring big name managers without ever developing a clear sense of who they want to be. And then the Boehly experiment so far at Chelsea. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And be one of the best run clubs in the country. It is the great shift of the last 15 years in English football I think that it kind of didn't used to matter if a club was a bit of a basket case behind the scenes, you could stumble across a good manager, sign a few star players and be successful. I don't think you can do that now. You look at the clubs who are being successful (relative to their status) and it is clubs who have really nailed it off the pitch, have a club strategy and ethos and bring managers and players in that fit that ethos rather than building around a manager or star players. Brighton, Brentford, Luton etc... on the other hand Manchester United have outspent everyone since Ferguson retired but have lurched from half baked strategy to half baked strategy hiring big name managers without ever developing a clear sense of who they want to be. And then the Boehly experiment so far at Chelsea. 

Gunner…question for our English contingent: Why does Fulham’s brand new riverside grandstand appear to be mostly roped off when I see it on TV? Are they having a problem with the stadium or is it that they can’t fill it? 

Edited by SoCal Deek

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gunner…question for our English contingent: Why does Fulham’s brand new riverside grandstand appear to be mostly roped off when I see it on TV? Are they having a problem with the stadium or is it that they can’t fill it? 

I don't think it's quite finished yet. Delayed by the Covid. Ready for the start of next season by all accounts.

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I don't think it's quite finished yet. Delayed by the Covid. Ready for the start of next season by all accounts.

Thanks

On television it looks like fans are sitting in the two outer ends of the upper deck but not in the middle of the upper grandstand, while the entire lower deck is full.  It reminds me of how Jacksonville puts a tarp over a large portion of their stadium. I sure hope they’re not having a problem after the construction. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.