Way Way under the radar. MASON FAIRCHILD TE KANSAS - update, not entering 2023 draft.

Chaos

I want Darnell Washington for the Bills.  Hard to see how we get him though.  So looking through measurables and stats for TEs in the draft and came across Mason Fairchild TE.  Besides his football accomplishments Fairchlid was a NATIONAL high jump champion in high school. 

Here is the tale of the Washing vs. Fairchild Tape:

Stat Washington Fairchild
Height 6' 7"  6' 5"
Weight 267 261
40 time 4.64 4.85
Targets in 2022 43 ?
Catches in 2022 28 35
Passer Rating when targeted 2022 111.2 148.3
TDs 2022 2 5
Sacks Allowed 0 0
Pressures Allowed 0 1

are two inches of height and 2/10's in the 40 the difference between early second rounder and UDFA? 

Edited by Chaos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's likely an undrafted free agent when all is said and done.  Drafting a promising tight end and signing a guy like Fairchild are not mutually exclusive, but you don't wan to fail to draft a guy because you're counting on a Fairchild type player to improve your team.  Thinking like that will get a GM fired eventually.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’d say the 2” in height isn’t that big of a deal as long as wingspan is about the same. But the .20 of a second is absolutely a huge deal in the 40. Side by side it would be like 5-10ft difference most likely. 

Yep. Shorter and way slower.

• Chaos changed the title to Way Way under the radar. MASON FAIRCHILD TE KANSAS - update, not entering 2023 draft.
3 hours ago, Santana said:

Was Darnell Washington any good? I know his measurables are insane but is he actually a good TE? I watched a few Georgia games this past season and never even noticed him. All that I noticed was Brock Bowers lighting it up weekly.

Measurables are measurables.  Jonnu Smith always pops with athleticism, but it doesn't translate to the field.  I was pleasantly surprised with Morris tbh, he looked better than sweeney ever did anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Santana said:

Was Darnell Washington any good? I know his measurables are insane but is he actually a good TE? I watched a few Georgia games this past season and never even noticed him. All that I noticed was Brock Bowers lighting it up weekly.

I think the general opinion on him is that he was underutilized as a pass catcher.  He seems to have all kinds of potential both as a receiver and a blocker.  He is potentially a Rob Gronkowski type tight end, but until he does it on the field potential means a gamble.

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think the general opinion on him is that he was underutilized as a pass catcher.  He seems to have all kinds of potential both as a receiver and a blocker.  He is potentially a Rob Gronkowski type tight end, but until he does it on the field potential means a gamble.

Yep. IIRC Knox was also underutilized at Ole Miss. As well as on this team. I’d be willing to take that gamble on Washington.

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Bills have Knox so Washington doesn't make too much sense unless he falls into 3rd or 4rh round.

The only position where Buffalo doesn't have a player who could be labeled a starting caliber player is middle linebacker, and the value in the first round may not have a first round middle linebacker.  People are hating on Gabe Davis, but it can be argued that he is a starting caliber WR, even though he disappointed in 2022.  The same is true at right tackle in Spencer Brown and running back with James Cook.  I wouldn't be opposed to the Bills making their first round pick at any of those positions including TE.  If the pick were a tight end, I think it means the Bills tweak their offensive play calling a little to include more two tight end formations, sometimes lining a tight end up in the slot and maybe running the ball a little more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.