Scariest movie?

Success

I still get a panic attack if I go out in the ocean too deep to stand because of Jaws.

SyFy: Alien was the first space movie where you were just waiting for the next startling scare.

Slasher: the first Halloween.

Zombie: Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things. I made the mistake of watching alone as a teen in the dark.

Travel: Hostel; after seeing it I never want to vacation in Eastern Europe.

• Like (+1) 1

Do home movies count?  😋

I’m not a fan of things that make me uncomfortable. I still remember my sister (8 years older) taking me to see The Exorcist on Easter Sunday the year it came out. It left a mark that lasted a while, I assure you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The AMC channel did a ranking of scariest movies a few years back, and Jaws was the number one choice.

They asked Rob Zombie why he voted for that movie, and he said, “I’ll put it this way. When it came out, I was in middle school in Ohio. My parents took me to see the movie at the local mall. Afterword, we went into a York Steakhouse inside the mall, and I needed to go to the bathroom. I was afraid to sit on the toilet, because I thought a shark was going to come out and bite my ass off.”

I was 5 when I saw Jaws with my best friend and my mother.  It didn't faze me too much but my friend puked in a garbage bin as we exited the theatre. 🤣

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, jayg said:

I was 5 when I saw Jaws with my best friend and my mother.  It didn't faze me too much but my friend puked in a garbage bin as we exited the theatre. 🤣

I was around 10 I think.  I couldn't even go into a swimming pool after that.

In a way, that's the one that stuck w/ me for life.  I'll swim in the ocean - but I'm always checking around.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, jayg said:

I saw Alien,  The Thing and Hellraiser when they came out and they spooked me a bit.  I was 9 when Alien came out.  I don't what my mom was thinking when we saw Alien.  I think she thought it a Star Wars type movie,  ha!

Also, saw Alien when I was 9 years old. The difference is I wanted to see it. Bad move. It messed me up for years. But now I love everything about it.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do home movies count?  😋

I’m not a fan of things that make me uncomfortable. I still remember my sister (8 years older) taking me to see The Exorcist on Easter Sunday the year it came out. It left a mark that lasted a while, I assure you. 

Is that the sister you turfed down the stairs? 🤔🤨

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is that the sister you turfed down the stairs? 🤔🤨

Paying attention, huh? 😋

Since the statute of limitations has long since past, that was the other sister. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I still get a panic attack if I go out in the ocean too deep to stand because of Jaws.

I feel like at least once each summer I’ll see a picture or video of some popular beach from overhead, where you can see the swimmers and a silhouette of a shark nearby.  

Like this one from last year

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Misery

2 of the scariest scenes I've seen in my life:

When Paul is rushing back to his bed after wandering in Annie's area when he can hear her driving home

The scene where he awakes tied to the bed staring at Annie 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 7

45 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I feel like at least once each summer I’ll see a picture or video of some popular beach from overhead, where you can see the swimmers and a silhouette of a shark nearby.  

Like this one from last year

Hysterical! I was flying home to Sarasota, FL one time and the girl in the window seat was a college kid. She was going to see her grandma for spring break and hit the beaches. The airport is very close to the shore, and we got a view almost like that. Not as swarming at all, but clear enough to see all the little dark dots moving around close to shore. “Hmm, what do you think those are?”, I asked. 😋  She audibly gasped! She then made a Mr Bill Face, and shortly thereafter she started breathing again. 

I doubt she went in deeper than her ankles on that trip! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

earliest was exorcist. that was a trip. then jaws. the omen/damien stuff gave a chill or two. as I got older nothing really scared me when it came to horror. I laugh at it, no joke. the last horror movie I watched that gave me a good chuckle, was terrifier 2.

I'll go with the exorcist.

3 hours ago, T&C said:

The Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal was a solid follow up for sure. After that it was garbage.

Exorcist is right up there for sure. Same with Rosemary's Baby.

As a kid... The House of Wax with Vincent Price, scared the ***** out of me.

I remember when Willard came out... a bunch of cousins were going but my parents wouldn't let me go. After I finally saw it it was "ok".

saw it when it came out as well, it was a good one. rats, so many rats.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The Exorcist 3.  I think I was in like 5th grade when I watched it.  Amazing what our parents let us do back in the 90s.  I didn’t sleep for like 3 nights afterward.  Kept envisioning the demonic nurses crawling around on the ceiling with trails of blood behind them.  😱 

YEP the creepy bug crawling on the ceiling nurse with the gray hair is my favorite scary movie moment ever..... BRILLIANT

I want to add to the Sinister commentary here. When I say the ending of that movie is not only CREEPY off the charts, but it is bone chilling holy crap wtaf omg.....they went THERE holy crap Im gonna hurl that is the WORST

I am sure there are more vile sick horror scenes out there. But for sheer evil I think Sinister is right up there.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

I was around 10 I think.  I couldn't even go into a swimming pool after that.

In a way, that's the one that stuck w/ me for life.  I'll swim in the ocean - but I'm always checking around.

I get it.  I get slightly  spooked at times but I grew up going to Virginia Beach and the outer banks of North Carolina and then spending a lot of time in Hawaii. I love the water so much.  But any little tickle on my foot in the water and..... hahaha  buh duh , buh duh...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jayg said:

I get it.  I get slightly  spooked at times but I grew up going to Virginia Beach and the outer banks of North Carolina and then spending a lot of time in Hawaii. I love the water so much.  But any little tickle on my foot in the water and..... hahaha  buh duh , buh duh...

To add to that. My best friend from Hawaii will not swim in any ocean where the water isn't clear.  She lives with me and we live in Virginia.  She's  terrified! 🤣🤣

20 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Exorcist.  The Omen.   I love the "slasher" type movies but they don't scare me as much as possession, satanic type movies.  

I have also rated "The Exorcist" as no. 1 scary movie...but I stayed up late one night, against parents' orders, and watched the entire thing unedited on cable TV when I was like 10 years or old or something.

I still very much remember that!  I swear to God, I had trouble falling asleep for nearly a week afterwards. I wasn't comfortable lying in bed in a dark room.

Would I still think so now?  Not sure, haven't seen the movie in a very long time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.