Tyreke Hill vs. Ja'Marr Chase vs Justin Jefferson - Contract management

Chaos

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

Disagree with this take. The Chiefs situation with Mahomes, Kelce and Reid is entirely unique and letting an elite receiver go is not a winning formula. Additionally, Hill was MUCH closer to the end of his career than Jefferson or Chase, the situations really aren't even comparable.  CIN and MIN will absolutely lock them down, not even a question. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

But KC still had their #1 guy in Kelce , drafted a WR in rd 1, traded for a WR for a 3rd and brought in Juju and MVS for a combined 21 mil last year

So to say they just let Tyreek go n surrounded Mahomes with nobodies is a joke

KC took two defensive players in RD 1 last year not WR. What have all those WRs you mentioned done for their original teams except getting criticisms from fans? Kinda like Davis around here.

Every qb needs a #1 and Kelce is Mahomes’ #1. The rest of their receiving corp can be jag’s. They don’t need to surround him with top flight weapons everywhere to be successful. That’s the flexibility and advantage they have. 

43 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

KC took two defensive players in RD 1 last year not WR. What have all those WRs you mentioned done for their original teams except getting criticisms from fans? Kinda like Davis around here.

Every qb needs a #1 and Kelce is Mahomes’ #1. The rest of their receiving corp can be jag’s. They don’t need to surround him with top flight weapons everywhere to be successful. That’s the flexibility and advantage they have. 

Pardon me. I thought Sky was a 1st rder

So 2nd rder.  3rd rder this year

And they demanded 10+ mil in FA. So they must've done something 

Let's call Kelce and Diggs equal, at least statistically over the last 3 years n going forward, KC had more weapons. Now, they lose Juju and Hardman and Sky didn't look too good in year 1, this could be a rough year for Mahomes, unless Toney emerges as a legit WR

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Let's call Kelce and Diggs equal, at least statistically over the last 3 years n going forward, KC had more weapons. Now, they lose Juju and Hardman and Sky didn't look too good in year 1, this could be a rough year for Mahomes, unless Toney emerges as a legit WR

Yeah I’m not holding my breath about Mahomes having a rough year. Kelce is still his #1 like we both noted. I doubt Toney will even last a whole season with his injury history. They’ll just add a couple of whoever WRs in the draft/FA and make it work. KC will probably be in the AFCCG again. Let’s hope the Bills can find a way to meet them there!

3 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Disagree with this take. The Chiefs situation with Mahomes, Kelce and Reid is entirely unique and letting an elite receiver go is not a winning formula. Additionally, Hill was MUCH closer to the end of his career than Jefferson or Chase, the situations really aren't even comparable.  CIN and MIN will absolutely lock them down, not even a question. 

What do you disagree with? I asked what people thought the bengals and vikings would do? How do you disagree with a question? 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:43 PM, Chaos said:

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

I think the Bengals keep Chase, and let the other talented WRs on its roster walk.  Minn is interesting.  Hock played well there, if he continues on that path, they may part with Jefferson if they feel he provides the bang that Kelse does--on the other hand, Minn needs to find a top 5 QB first.   Otherwise, I think you keep Jefferson and a top 20 QB and hope the overall team gets the job done.   

Edited by RyanC883

I mean Mahomes is on a different level than every qb. Very few are winning a SB with that offensive group. Judging things by KC is the exception not the norm. 

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Bills fans have been saying this since it’s first training camp. Hardman? Mid JuJu? Come on. Just grasping for straws. 

they’ll pick some guy in the draft and Mahomes will make him a star. Bills fans love overrating other teams talent to knock an opponent who beats us (see Brady, Tom). 

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

they’ll pick some guy in the draft and Mahomes will make him a star. Bills fans love overrating other teams talent to knock an opponent who beats us (see Brady, Tom). 

it’s interesting that both Mahomes and Brady coincidentally had GOAT level tight ends for a good chunk of their careers and in Mahomes case, his entire career. 

Tier 1 tight ends are much harder to

come by than elite WR’s. Currently you basically have Kelce in tier 1 by himself. Before Kelce it was Gronk by himself.

At WR you have a whole bunch of guys you can put in tier 1, Kupp, Jefferson, Chase, Adams, Hill, Diggs.

just so hard to find that elite tight end. 

Josh is the man. Whatever problems buffalo has aint on him.

Its coaching and spending too much draft capital on defense + missing on a lot of offensive draft picks + being terrible evaluators of talent like letting wyatt teller go for peanuts (and now maybe hodgins?)

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Brady won with belichick, mahommes wins with reid. If josh wins, itll be in spite of mcdermott.

I am not saying brady wasnt ***** withoht belichick of course he would still have been good maybe even won some but he became the GOAT because he fit well with belichick and belichick took full advantage of what he had in brady.

Same exact goes for mahommes and reid. Mahommes is great of course, but reid maximizes his full potential he knows what he has on his hands and not letting it go to waste.

Mcdermott on the other hand i think is totally clueless about offense and leaves other people figure it out. Reid and Bill will be HOF coaches. Mcdermott I am just not seeing it.

Josh allen gave mcdermott the best playoff performance in NFL history and this coach still found a way to lose.

Just sayin' lets keep the josh slander to a minimum the only "gap" is a coaching one.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Its coaching and spending too much draft capital on defense + missing on a lot of offensive draft picks + being terrible evaluators of talent like letting wyatt teller go for peanuts (and now maybe hodgins?)

Brady won with belichick, mahommes wins with reid. If josh wins, itll be in spite of mcdermott.

I am not saying brady wasnt ***** withoht belichick of course he would still have been good maybe even won some but he became the GOAT because he fit well with belichick and belichick took full advantage of what he had in brady.

Same exact goes for mahommes and reid. Mahommes is great of course, but reid maximizes his full potential he knows what he has on his hands and not letting it go to waste.

Mcdermott on the other hand i think is totally clueless about offense and leaves other people figure it out. Reid and Bill will be HOF coaches. Mcdermott I am just not seeing it.

Josh allen gave mcdermott the best playoff performance in NFL history and this coach still found a way to lose.

Just sayin' lets keep the josh slander to a minimum the only "gap" is a coaching one.

boom, i agree...for my money, josh is the best player in the league.....doing the most with the least support on offense.

i would like to add/point out the value and importance of the most under rated and over looked position.....that being TE.

the GOAT brady had gronk....in NE & TB......what happened when gronk retired

the consensus(not by me)  current #1 qb mahomes has kelce....not a coincidence 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

it’s interesting that both Mahomes and Brady coincidentally had GOAT level tight ends for a good chunk of their careers and in Mahomes case, his entire career. 

Tier 1 tight ends are much harder to

come by than elite WR’s. Currently you basically have Kelce in tier 1 by himself. Before Kelce it was Gronk by himself.

At WR you have a whole bunch of guys you can put in tier 1, Kupp, Jefferson, Chase, Adams, Hill, Diggs.

just so hard to find that elite tight end. 

It’s why I would rather have the bills get a TE over a receiver if that was our options in the first round. I don’t why this team hates TEs so much. They are every qb, especially in the cold, best friend.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

McDermott has a better start as a coach to his career than both Reid and Belichick. They both got fired. He made the playoffs without Allen. He hired Daboll, who was just the coach of the year. 

obviously, Allen is a million more time more important than McDermott. But people act like the Bills and McDermott are some poverty organization. Next to Mahomes, I don’t know a qb who got developed in better circumstances than Allen. McDermott is a very good coach.

7 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Their key is Kelce as the Pats was Gronk. 

Having a superstar TE is better than a superstar WR as I've come to realize. Gronk and Kelce create so many mismatches that WRs seldom do.

And the Bills have never had one. It’s wild.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean Mahomes is on a different level than every qb. Very few are winning a SB with that offensive group. Judging things by KC is the exception not the norm. 

Bills fans have been saying this since it’s first training camp. Hardman? Mid JuJu? Come on. Just grasping for straws. 

To your point, KC just signed Richie James from the Giants. He’ll flourish with Mahomes next season. You’d think with the relationship Daboll has with McD he’d be sending good talent this way. IE Toney now James. 

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Allen is great but let’s not say he shouldn’t get any blame. As long as this team falls short of a championship there will be plenty of blame to pass around. Especially to the qb position, justifiably so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.