Tyreke Hill vs. Ja'Marr Chase vs Justin Jefferson - Contract management

Chaos

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

Everyone not named the Chiefs needs to realize they aren’t the Chiefs.

This was the logic flaw that WGR kept pushing last year when they were so quick to recite the odds to everyone as proof. 

The Bills are not the Chiefs, neither are the Bengals, neither are the Jags, Ravens, Chargers or anyone else.

Nobody on any roster is as good as Patrick Mahomes.

As such, everyone else will have to accept the talent gap and create a different model that accumulates more roster talent than the Chiefs to overcome the gap at QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This was the logic flaw that WGR kept pushing last year when they were so quick to recite the odds to everyone as proof. 

The Bills are not the Chiefs, neither are the Bengals, neither are the Jags, Ravens, Chargers or anyone else.

As such, everyone else will have to accept the talent gap and create a different model that accumulates more roster talent than the Chiefs to overcome the gap at QB. 

So tell me... if we flipped mahomes to this roster and Josh Allen to KC roster? what team would win? a Mahomes with Bills roster or a Allen with KC roster?

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So tell me... if we flipped mahomes to this roster and Josh Allen to KC roster? what team would win? a Mahomes with Bills roster or a Allen with KC roster?

I have a feeling people on this board would feel a lot better about Davis/Knox if Mahomes is the Bills qb. He would do a lot of damage with Diggs/Davis/Knox receiving corp. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I completely agree with this take. KC has an advantage right now because their qb is ahead of everyone else’s. It doesn’t mean that gap can’t be closed at some point. But right now they’re operating with so much more flexibility. They lost 2 starting receivers and 2 starting tackles this offseason and no one bats an eye. They’ll just draft whoever at wr and watch them be productive because of Mahomes’ abilities and Reid’s creativity. 

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

It's pure opinion, of course, but I think they'd both have roughly equal chances. If forced to choose, I'd give Mahomes/Bills a better chance, but not a ton better.

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I have a feeling people on this board would feel a lot better about Davis/Knox if Mahomes is the Bills qb. He would do a lot of damage with Diggs/Davis/Knox receiving corp. 

Mahomes would indeed do a lot of damage with Diggs/Davis/Knox etc.

As did Allen last year with a throwing arm injury through a very significant portion of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

They have a very good offensive play designer and caller who schemes guys open. Makes it a lot easier on Mahomes even though he would most likely be great in any system. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

It’s obvious the winning goes where Mahomes is.

Brady demonstrated this when he left New England. 

The winning goes where they go. 

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

JOSH !! behind the KC Oline and with Kelce ......josh would win !! 

in the infamous 13 seconds game josh played his azz off, had mahomes beat (plus kc had tyreek in that one)

C/ATT  YDS TD INT    RTG

Josh 27/37 - 329 yards  4td/0 int -136.0 passer rating

Mahomes - 33/44 - 378yards  3td/ 0 int 123.1 passer rating 

not his fault Frazier played soft and predictable....this is a team game

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1

A few other thoughts...

1. The Chiefs' decision to part ways with Hill was partially $ based but team dynamics also played a role. Hill had become a head case and a major distraction to the team.

2. Reid is one of the all time great play callers in NFL history. I marvel when I watch Chiefs games and wonder "How are defenses allowing Kelce to get so wide open?" Some of that is due to the generational talent that Kelce is -- but a lot of it is also based on schemes to get him open.

3. Mahomes is great at buying time. Better, when he gets flushed from the pocket, there always seems to be a WR somewhere that has come back to bail him out.

I would love to see the Bills' receivers better coached up to provide Josh with multiple options when a play breaks down, like Reid's Chiefs WRs are.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

A few other thoughts...

1. The Chiefs' decision to part ways with Hill was partially $ based but team dynamics also played a role. Hill had become a head case and a major distraction to the team.

2. Reid is one of the all time great play callers in NFL history. I marvel when I watch Chiefs games and wonder "How are defenses allowing Kelce to get so wide open?" Some of that is due to the generational talent that Kelce is -- but a lot of it is also based on schemes to get him open.

3. Mahomes is great at buying time. Better, when he gets flushed from the pocket, there always seems to be a WR somewhere that has come back to bail him out.

I would love to see the Bills' receivers better coached up to provide Josh with multiple options when a play breaks down, like Reid's Chiefs WRs are.

#3 cannot be understated. Mahomes is a magician when it comes to buying time behind the line. He sees the whole field while running spinning around. Defenders start to lose their assignments or get drawn towards him leaving their guys wfo. Then he hits those receivers anywhere on the field in anyway he can. It’s crazy to watch. Something that I hope Allen can incorporate in his game to greater success. 

53 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah sorry, Josh isn't as good as Mahomes. 

The Bills are not the Chiefs equals. 

Beane is going to have to draft superstars, or add more talent to propel a less coach, a less QB, past them and the Bengals now. 

The first point is a bitter pill to swallow but it gets reinforced year after year.

Doesn’t mean Bills can’t win it all at some point. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

JOSH !! behind the KC Oline and with Kelce ......josh would win !! 

in the infamous 13 seconds game josh played his azz off, had mahomes beat (plus kc had tyreek in that one)

C/ATT  YDS TD INT    RTG

Josh 27/37 - 329 yards  4td/0 int -136.0 passer rating

Mahomes - 33/44 - 378yards  3td/ 0 int 123.1 passer rating 

not his fault Frazier played soft and predictable....this is a team game

while others think its so obvious MAhomes Bills would win over JA Chiefs... I am on board with you on this one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.