Tyreke Hill vs. Ja'Marr Chase vs Justin Jefferson - Contract management

Chaos

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Chiefs who just won the Super Bowl made the decision that optimizing team talent, meant relying on their superstar QB to generate the passing attack and not rely on a 20+million dollar WR Tyreke Hill. Results suggested they made the correct decision.  Do you think the Bengals will make the same decision when the time comes with Ja'Marr Chase, or will they accept other holes in the roster to pay Chase.  Similarly, will the Vikings without a superstar QB make a different or the same decision as the Bengals regarding Justin Jefferson. 

In general, Is the goal of the draft to get as many five year players who can contribute as possible, or draft guys with potential to sit and watch, and hopefully develop so that you can resign them at full top market free agent rates after five years?

The Chiefs still have their #1 pass catcher.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

would this be the case if KC did not have a dude named Kelce? 

• Agree 2

The fact that KC had already banked a Super Bowl in 2019 gave them the capital to risk taking a temporary step back by trading Hill in order to invest in the long term with the picks they acquired.  Given that these teams have never won one, I doubt they’ll be able to do anything other than go all in every season until they either win a championship or crash and burn.  

Then again, it’s possible that the Vikings are self-aware enough to realize that they’re nowhere near good enough to truly contend.  If that’s the case, I could see them tearing it down to the studs and moving JJ for a massive haul.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

#1- KC didnt win this SB because they got rid of Tyreek hill. they would have won it with him. Besides, he's not their #1 target, kelce is.

Tyreek cap hit with miami for 2022 was $6.5 mil and will be $12.8 for 2024 both bargains. long term starting in 2025 is another story.

the other KC WR's shuster & scantling were mediocre. what KC shows is the value of investing in the Oline & TE.

#2- Minny should absolutely pay top $ for jeffereson no matter who the QB is. he is elite top 5. i'd tag him.

#3- cincy has an interesting dilema. they have 3 really good WR's. you probably can only afford to keep 2. i'd let whoever demands the most $ go/trade if possible. again, 5th year option then tag.

the goal of the draft should be instant starter and pro bowl talent. worry about the second contract later.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don't know

You really don't know?   

Kelce has averaged 100 catches and nearly 1300 yards over the past 5 seasons.

One teams fortune in not having to pay top of the market for a superstar receiving target does not equate to the formula being not to pay a star. 

• Vomit 1

I can’t see Cincy or the Vikes letting Chase or Jefferson go, too good, young, near impossible to replicate what they do for the team.  Cincy could pull off a trade for Higgins rather than deal w the contract, which would ultimately be great for them, cost controlled, good player, 2nd round investment, trade for a 1. 

If the question is do I think the Bengals can afford both Burrow and Chase, the answer is no. I touched on this in another thread. Brown is not a very wealthy owner. He won't be able to convert salary into bonus money like Terry can. Burrow will be the highest paid QB in football.  Chase could very well demand the same at WR. I see Higgins being more likely a guy that stays, but it will be very hard for the Bengals either way once Burrow signs his deal. 

Edited by KzooMike

6 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

If the question is do I think Burrows the Bengals can afford both Burrows and Chase, the answer is no. I touched on this in another thread. Brown is not a very wealthy owner. He won't be able to convert salary into bonus money like Terry can. Burrows will be the highest paid QB in football.  Chase could very well demand the same at WR. I see Higgins being more likely a guy that stays, but it will be very hard for the Bengals either way once Burrows signs his deal. 

*Burrow * not *Burrows*.

Sorry for being a know it at all but had to correct that lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.