The Consensus BPA Draft for the Bills

Chaos

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023-nfl-draft-industry-consensus-big-board/

Pro Football Network has compiled an industry big board, consolidating the results of 25 of the major big boards created in the cottage industry that follows the draft. 

Premise 1) 25 big boards is a meaningfully proxy for how a team of scouts would grade out the players in the Draft
Premise 2) Every team sticks to BPA at every draft spot

Obvisouly neither premise 1 or premise 2 is gong to happen. In this scenario the Bills get an RB at pick 59.  They would also get an RB at 91, so I made the one small adjustment to go to pick 92.  But if these are proxies for people being slaves to board, this is the draft the Bills would have.  I am not a fan. 

image.png

• Vomit 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 6

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

giphy.gif

The TBD server would crash so hard it would create a singularity and suck the entire universe into itself. Which, at least means we wouldnt have to live with this draft. So not all bad.

Although I do really like Ringo.

There are a number of posters who post condescending "good teams always draft BPA".  When if fact there is no certainity who the BPA is, and no team actually ingores positional value and need.  A true slave to BPA draft would likely be a disaster. 

I like this websites way of showing each teams realistic targets at each pick. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/nfl-draft-targets-2023?team=BUF

image.thumb.png.7c582a4363d17acb94848fe668cd0d0e.png

Much more realistic way to think about it. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There are a number of posters who post condescending "good teams always draft BPA".  When if fact there is no certainity who the BPA is, and no team actually ingores positional value and need.  A true slave to BPA draft would likely be a disaster. 

That's a great selection of players available at 27 and 59. Would love for it to work out that way. Could do any number of things.

I wouldnt even mind Branch at 27 if we could get any of those IOL at 59.

• Agree 1

I think it's 70% positional value/need and 30% BPA, which means we are picking the guy that we best feel fills a needed gap but if by some token of good fortune somebody drops to us that we can't ignore, we take 'em, with the understanding that we will need to fill that gap we missed on in a later round. My sense is that you enter a draft with a number of holes that need to be taken care of, dare say have to be filled, and you approach it from that standpoint. If we come out of the draft with a bunch of guys that were BPA at every point when we picked we might just come out of the draft not a whole lot better off because we still have glaring weaknesses that weren't addressed. I would argue the top 3 positions of need are: OL, LB, WR. Sure there are other positions of need and we will deal with those but I would argue those are the top 3. Now the key is in what order do you deal with that and that my friends is why BB is paid the big bucks and why is butt is on the line this year with how we come out of this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Typically they have players grouped and will take the best player of that group.

That takes into account needs, positional value/scheme, players likely to need replacing soon, etc.

It's impossible to know BPA like this because each team values certain things to varying degrees in players. Some teams want only scheme fits, others will take a player who may not have ever played their scheme but they seem he has traits they believe will allow him to transition into what they need him to do and others simply are so arrogant they think they can coach any player to work in their scheme and just take whoever is the best in their minds without much regard to how they actually will fit(oversimplifying but mostly it's the same...they think the player fits way better than they actually do based on over aggressive projections).

Also we have no idea what teams have players off the boards due to medical concerns or other issues. Each team doctor views those differently.

So while this is a valiant effort, it doesn't make a lot of sense because every team and scheme will value a player differently and it lacks any nuance when it comes to this and kind of goes for a one size fits all approach.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Tank Dell in the 3rd, but that's it.

After re-signing Poyer and signing Rapp, (and drafting Elam and Benford) we are NOT taking a cb in the 1st and 3 db's total.

We are absolutely not taking a power rb in the 2nd after signing Damien Harris and drafting Cook last year.

I believe we will draft an offensive lineman, linebacker, and tight end in the first three rounds, but the order will depend on the BPA.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

If that's the board at each round, I'd be happy with:

1.) WR Jordan Addison

2.) OT Andrew Bergeron

3.) LB Henry To'oTo'o

4.) IOL Andrew Vorhees

5.) RB Kendre Miller

6.) LB Mohamoud Diabate

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Love this resource.  Thanks for posting the link.

From this "projection", it looks as if the first spot where LB would come off the board is AFTER our pick at 27.

Sanders:

The first linebacker projected by this site would be Drew Sanders, between pick 30 (Eagles) - pick 43 (Jets).  If Sanders is the target for the Bills, they could "stick and pick" Sanders at 27 unless someone moves up.

Campbell and Simpson tie:

The second linebacker comes off way down at pick 43 (Jets) and it's either Campbell or Simpson.  If we missed on linebacker in round 1 or went with OT (or other BPA...), the Bills would have to get aggressive in round two to trade ahead of the Jets.  Alternatively, the Bills could just trade down to something like 33ish.....  and still have a very good chance at one of the top 3 linebackers (PLUS net extra picks...).

I vote for the trade down unless a top 15 prospect tumbles to 27.

• Like (+1) 2

People misunderstand BPA. 

BPA can mean "who is the single highest grade on our board". But it rarely does. It only tends to when a team has a player sticking out. 

So when the Bills told you in 2021 that Basham was BPA by the time they got to that spot I believe he was sticking out and even though they'd already drafted one edge their view was that to leave him on the board when they had him considerably higher than everyone else left would have been foolish. Whenever you see a team draft a guy and think "they didn't need that player" the likelihood is he was their BPA. Kyle Hamilton to the Ravens last year is another example and, in fact, if there is a team that historically sticks to BPA better than most it is Baltimore. 

But in the majority of cases when a team goes on the clock they do not have a guy sticking out as BPA. Fans tend to think about draft boards in a vertical sense. "Well Ringo is #27 on their big board so he is better than #28" when in reality they are horizontal beasts. And after the top 10 or so picks you very often will have multiple players in the same tier when you are on the clock and you choose one guy from that tier. Reaching for need is the thing you should never do but taking #29 over #27 is unlikely to be that. Reaching for need means taking someone from the next tier down. 

A good proxy for the way it actually works in @Chaos's exercise would be to look at the next 5 players on the board at each of the Bills 6 picks. And make a choice among those. That would still be true to BPA because in this example there is no guy "sticking out" because assumption #1 is everyone else sticks slavishly to the order (which definitely won't happen). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Definitely appreciate this approach to identifying a range of "realistic targets" per pick, filtered by perceived roster need and positional value. It's a neat exercise, and I enjoy this type of pre-draft analysis. 

However, it would be unfortunate to use this type of projected/hypothetical data point to criticize any team's draft decisions, within reason. The Bills might very well have a couple-two-tree tight ends on their 1st round target list, or a couple linebackers, in addition to these receivers and linemen. And who could reasonably blame them (I type, knowing full well the answer is: anyone)? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

I am not sure you are getting it Chaos. Some people think BPA what ever the best player is on the board YOU TAKE! others think of BPA is Best Player Available at Value... and that is how they really draft. They have a value at every position at every level of the draft. where as Round 1 is highest value is WR for example so there might be a say a HB there that is slightly better than a WR, then they will still go WR cause of the value they have on that position in that round. Others think BPA in that same example you should take the HB because he is slightly better. 

Its train of thought of what BPA means to people and again here I am another year before another draft, explaining this all over again.. for the second time this year. Thats why you got the dislikes and the pukes on your OP. 

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's a great selection of players available at 27 and 59. Would love for it to work out that way. Could do any number of things.

I wouldnt even mind Branch at 27 if we could get any of those IOL at 59.

I don’t know about Branch being a fit here.  I think he is good, but from everything I’ve read he is basically a slot corner with pretty good size for that position, excellent instincts and tackling skills.  He might be better than Taron Johnson, but Johnson is pretty good, himself.  Would Branch be as good playing a safety role as the Bills play it?  

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

That’s actually really cool, thanks for sharing. Just one thing, no receivers named Zay please. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.