NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Yeah, I knew that he was picked before the Bill second round selection but we know Brandon Beane loves to trade up. It was only a few spots I kept yelling at my TV. Pickens is still on the board trade up but sadly the TV didn’t listen.

I think a better way to put it is Beane is willing to move around, but overall he wants to keep his picks.  It likely factored in that the Bills had already traded up for Elam.  Beane wanted to get a bit of draft capital by moving back.

He could have stayed pat or traded back in the 1st and drafted Watson, then Cam Taylor-Britt was available in the 2nd.  But that's 20-20 hindsight.

14 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Many here also wanted Josh Rosen. 

And many wanted Josh Allen

18 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yep…and that’s why I laugh at the idea of BPA. Beane has never done that, but most of his apologists say he does. Now…I don’t necessarily think he reaches too far for players,but let’s not pretend that he doesn’t draft for need. This year will be interesting. I don’t think he will draft a LB before 2, but if he does, imo he deserves every ounce of criticism that he will get.

This year, I expect Beane to use the first round pick to fill the perceived need at DL/edge.  

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hadn't considered it...........but the Bills would not if they thought it was just a dumb mistake and not a result of a potential gambling problem. 

The Lions might.   They traded TJ Hockenson which made even less sense.

The Bills did have a star receiving back in the 1980's........Ronnie Harmon........who had been accused of throwing a Rose Bowl game with 4 fumbles............and then later had a pass go thru his hands at the end of the 1989 wildcard game in Cleveland which cost the super-talented Bills a victory..........and he was dropped like a bad habit weeks later with zero compensation.   Harmon went on to catch nearly 400 more passes  for San Diego with a remarkable 10+ yards per catch average but nobody in Buffalo ever lamented his loss for one second.    Players who are a gambling risk are pretty worthless regardless of talent.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-06-29-sp-25-story.html

Well then wouldn't it stand to reason that if he were available for THAT reason, that he Bills should not want him?  

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

This year, I expect Beane to use the first round pick to fill the perceived need at DL/edge.  

DL could certainly be the pick at 27. Not because it's a glaring need though. Because DL is ALWAYS a need for every team all the time, and it's a premium position that has a huge impact on each game, and this draft in particular appears to have a lot of DL that fits into the late 1st/early 2nd grade bucket. It isn't likely that any one offensive player is going to be sticking out on the board at 27. It might be a scenario where we either draft DL, or reach down a full round grade just to pick offense for purported need. No question in my mind I'll take the highest graded player at a premium position every time in that scenario.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

And many wanted Josh Allen

Well I completely disagree. Most of the fanbase is just sick of the defense in the first narrative and I think Beane knows this is the year to help out his franchise qb. We watched weapons being the biggest need all season and losing edmunds shouldn’t change anything. That need still exists. I’m sorry, but Harty and Sherfield are nothing more than WR4/WR5 ST signings. They aren’t fitting into the long term plans of the team. Yes…there is no DT signed beyond this year, but other than Diggs (who will be 31 next season) and an unproven Shakir, the WR room has similar issues. This is a passing league and we have one of the top QBs in the game. Show the guy some good faith and get him some help. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

DL could certainly be the pick at 27. Not because it's a glaring need though. Because DL is ALWAYS a need for every team all the time, and it's a premium position that has a huge impact on each game, and this draft in particular appears to have a lot of DL that fits into the late 1st/early 2nd grade bucket. It isn't likely that any one offensive player is going to be sticking out on the board at 27. It might be a scenario where we either draft DL, or reach down a full round grade just to pick offense for purported need. No question in my mind I'll take the highest graded player at a premium position every time in that scenario.

Edge is a premium position.  Interior DL is not.  Other than a few guys like Jeffrey Simmons, Aaron Donald and Chris Jones, the position is filled with guys who can be replaced by free agents, without too much of a drop off.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We could also trade up. No one wants to consider that as a possibility, but we’ve seen it multiple times from Beane. 

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Well I completely disagree. Most of the fanbase is just sick of the defense in the first narrative and I think Beane knows this is the year to help out his franchise qb. We watched weapons being the biggest need all season and losing edmunds shouldn’t change anything. That need still exists. I’m sorry, but Harty and Sherfield are nothing more than WR4/WR5 ST signings. They aren’t fitting into the long term plans of the team. Yes…there is no DT signed beyond this year, but other than Diggs (who will be 31 next season) and an unproven Shakir, the WR room has similar issues. This is a passing league and we have one of the top QBs in the game. Show the guy some good faith and get him some help. 

Spot. On.

Excellent post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Well then wouldn't it stand to reason that if he were available for THAT reason, that he Bills should not want him?  

Based on what has been told to the public by the league and Williams' agency.........probably isn't enough to make a team not want to acquire him.

But considering that they caught him I am sure the league has a lot more detail about the investigation that every team would have full access to.   

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

We could also trade up. No one wants to consider that as a possibility, but we’ve seen it multiple times from Beane. 

With the lack of draft capital, moving up more than a couple of spots is going to be tough.  I suppose you could use a player like Oliver to sweeten the pot a bit if you don't have plans to re-sign him, but trying to move up 10+ spots with the lack of draft picks we have this year is unlikely.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Based on what has been told to the public by the league and Williams' agency.........probably isn't enough to make a team not want to acquire him.

But considering that they caught him I am sure the league has a lot more detail about the investigation that every team would have full access to.   

How much you willing to bet😅

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I'd be happy with any of those six, but I think they'll all be gone by 27. 

Again…if Beane can trade up 2 spots in a deep draft for corners for the last guy with a first round grade, what precludes him for doing it for a receiver?

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

With the lack of draft capital, moving up more than a couple of spots is going to be tough.  I suppose you could use a player like Oliver to sweeten the pot a bit if you don't have plans to re-sign him, but trying to move up 10+ spots with the lack of draft picks we have this year is unlikely.

You could use a future pick or even trade down in another round to recoup some of the picks. We literally saw that play out last year. 

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

Edge is a premium position.  Interior DL is not.  Other than a few guys like Jeffrey Simmons, Aaron Donald and Chris Jones, the position is filled with guys who can be replaced by free agents, without too much of a drop off.

So I do see pass rushing DT specifically as a premium position, although I understand traditionally it isn't seen that way. I just think in this day and age the best way to disrupt a QB is pressure up the middle.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So I do see pass rushing DT specifically as a premium position, although I understand traditionally it isn't seen that way. I just think in this day and age the best way to disrupt a QB is pressure up the middle.

I am not arguing your point but when was pressure up the middle not the best way to mess with a QB? Since I was a kid a NT that could push back a center was priceless. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree, but we can wait till later to fill that hole. We’ve been doing that for years at WR

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree...It's just that there aren't very many guys who can do that consistently.  The Bills hoped Lil' Ed Oliver could do it, but they were wrong.

I think I'm just looking forward to the inevitable meltdown some folks are gonna have no matter who the Bills draft. 

Just remember, this stuff is supposed to be fun. If the names they announce next weekend make you wanna throw things and punch holes in the wall then maybe take a minute to ponder if football is, I dunno, your thing? 

After that we'll round up the expert board analysis on Beane...who will surely have failed miserably at his job according to the message board savants of the world. 

Who's that one player you really hope they don't pick? I hope they pick that guy. 

• Agree 1

Just now, blacklabel said:

I think I'm just looking forward to the inevitable meltdown some folks are gonna have no matter who the Bills draft. 

Just remember, this stuff is supposed to be fun. If the names they announce next weekend make you wanna throw things and punch holes in the wall then maybe take a minute to ponder if football is, I dunno, your thing? 

After that we'll round up the expert board analysis on Beane...who will surely have failed miserably at his job according to the message board savants of the world. 

Who's that one player you really hope they don't pick? I hope they pick that guy. 

I bet you enjoy kicking dogs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.