NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, for houston, a 3rd is basically a late 2nd. 

As a guy that follows the niners more than most, I wouldn’t trade anything more than a 4th and another late pick for him.  They’d be better off trading 2023 picks for 2024 picks and drafting a real QB next year.  Williams and Maye, right now, are much more nfl ready than Lance will ever be. Can’t replace experience and a Lance has none.  No experience.  No reps.  No production.  No nothing.  Not entirely his fault, but that’s the sitch.  

jmo

The Tyrod trade to Cleveland, basically. Seems like a fair comp, and the Niners could then parlay that third with another couple of picks into a mid second rounder if they're targeting someone. They don't draft until 99, but they have a TON of picks. They have 11 picks yet don't draft until basically the 100th slot! Has that ever happened?

Round 3, Pick 99 (compensatory)

Round 3, Pick 101 (compensatory)

Round 3, Pick 102 (compensatory)

Round 5, Pick 155 (via Miami Dolphins)

Round 5, Pick 164

Round 5, Pick 173 (compensatory)

Round 6, Pick 216 (compensatory)

Round 7, Pick 222 (via Denver Broncos)

Round 7, Pick 247

Round 7, Pick 253 (compensatory)

Round 7, Pick 255 (compensatory)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fascinating. Maybe Houston, which could then focus on adding pieces with its two first-round picks? Lance is not going to beat out Purdy, and Darnold is a better #2 than Lance as well. That's not to say that Lance doesn't have upside. I just don't see a place for him there given how good Purdy was (and Purdy's elbow is going to be fine, btw -- that's a surgery that medicine has fully mastered) and the fact that Darnold is one of the league's higher-level #2s (Darnold played fairly well last season). A #3 overall pick as a third stringer? I don't see that happening. 

And the fact that Kyle wanted Darnold when he came out. They were big into Darnold that year and had already done a lot of work on him in the summer of 2017. Then Jimmy G became available mid season, they traded for him and he played well enough that they felt like they had their guy. I would not be surprised if he still thinks he can do something there. Lance has trade value. If he isn't your starter you should maximise it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the fact that Kyle wanted Darnold when he came out. They were big into Darnold that year and had already done a lot of work on him in the summer of 2017. Then Jimmy G became available mid season, they traded for him and he played well enough that they felt like they had their guy. I would not be surprised if he still thinks he can do something there. Lance has trade value. If he isn't your starter you should maximise it. 

Agreed. And given all of their middle-of the draft picks (7 comp picks!), they would have ammo with an extra early third to target a good talent that fits their schemes.   

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

Regarding all of those comp picks the Niners have (some from minority head coaching hires), that got me thinking. The Bills were REALLY pissed when Frazier didn't get the Houston job last year. On one level, that's understandable given that they presumably want their guy to succeed in life. But on another, why would you be pissed if the DC you really want coaching your D ends up staying with you? You'd be happy, right? Turns out that they lost a chance at a 3rd round comp pick, and we now know how much Beane values those. After this season, they didn't let Frazier go right away, and it was the case that a number of coaching hire decisions played out over the next few weeks following the Bills loss to the Bengals. The final hire was Gannon in mid-February and Frazier stepped down in late February. He didn't get an AZ interview, but you never know how things can go on that front. Anyway, once all of the coaching decisions were made, he suddenly takes the season off at age 64 (and I'm not ruling out the possibility that a head coaching candidate other than Gannon might have hired him as DC/assistant head coach). I have no evidence to say he was basically forced out, but I can't help but think that the reason he didn't leave right away was the prospect of a comp pick. Just as importantly, McDermott taking over the defensive play-calling and not hiring a DC is just weird. And the timing and trajectory of the Frazier departure was always weird to me too.  

Just thinking out loud here.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Regarding all of those comp picks the Niners have (some from minority head coaching hires), that got me thinking. The Bills were REALLY pissed when Frazier didn't get the Houston job last year. On one level, that's understandable given that they presumably want their guy to succeed in life. But on another, why would you be pissed if the DC you really want coaching your D ends up staying with you? You'd be happy, right? Turns out that they lost a chance at a 3rd round comp pick, and we now know how much Beane values those. After this season, they didn't let Frazier go right away, and it was the case that a number of coaching hire decisions played out over the next few weeks following the Bills loss to the Bengals. The final hire was Gannon in mid-February and Frazier stepped down in late February. He didn't get an AZ interview, but you never know how things can go on that front. Anyway, once all of the coaching decisions were made, he suddenly takes the season off at age 64 (and I'm not ruling out the possibility that a head coaching candidate other than Gannon might have hired him as DC/assistant head coach). I have no evidence to say he was basically forced out, but I can't help but think that the reason he didn't leave right away was the prospect of a comp pick. Just as importantly, McDermott taking over the defensive play-calling and not hiring a DC is just weird. And the timing and trajectory of the Frazier departure was always weird to me too.  

Just thinking out loud here.

The people close to it have all come and said it was just genuinely his call though (including twitter accounts who have tried to dig). It was only once they stopped took a mini break and then were about to get back to work he was like "you know what I'm not sure I wanna do this anymore." I know not exactly the same but I have twice in my career made pretty significant career decisions while on vacation. Sometimes you need the time away and the distance to be able to work out what is fulfilling you and what isn't. 

To me that isn't that odd. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:53 AM, SCBills said:

This draft reminds me, a bit, of the Allen draft.   Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen at the top of the draft... in the sense that I think it will be a bunch of busts and, maybe, Richardson lives up to his potential. 

The issue being, for every Allen, there are 5 busts.  Most QBs who are drafted on "potential" are hot garbage because if they're drafted on potential it generally means they aren't that great.  Allen was able to refine himself for the most part, but he still has his moments where the guy drafted on potential shows up.  

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The people close to it have all come and said it was just genuinely his call though (including twitter accounts who have tried to dig). It was only once they stopped took a mini break and then were about to get back to work he was like "you know what I'm not sure I wanna do this anymore." I know not exactly the same but I have twice in my career made pretty significant career decisions while on vacation. Sometimes you need the time away and the distance to be able to work out what is fulfilling you and what isn't. 

To me that isn't that odd. 

You definitely could be right, but unlike you he's 64 years old and the epitome of an NFL lifer. He is giving up a salary of approximately $1 million-plus per year with no assurance that he'll get rehired at 65. It's not like he's going to become an artisanal carpenter or farm-to-table chef. It continues to look strange to me, and I don't think anyone knows the full story. I have to think the showing vs Cincy didn't sit well with people. They were terrible on D that day (and yes, I know there were injuries).

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've developed this fantasy in my head of the Bills drafting Bryan Bresee or Mazi Smith at pick 27, then immediately trading away Oliver and trading for DeAndre Hopkins. In one fell swoop we free up $10.7 million so that Hopkins becomes affordable and draft Oliver's replacement. Defense gets marginally worse but cheaper, and the offense gets a high impact player. I'd take that outcome right now if I could.

So far 20 of our top 30 visits have been reported. Mazi Smith is on that list, Bresee is not. I won't believe Bresee is a possible pick until I know he was a top 30 visit. But he fits a lot of traits McDermott would like - high athletic upside, former #1 college recruit, faced a ton of adversity over the past year (he suffered multiple injuries including a kidney infection, and his sister sadly died of brain cancer). I've been thinking in the back of my mind that Bresee could be the stealth pick no one sees coming. That's what Elam was last year and his top 30 visit wasn't reported until very close to the draft.

He seems like the type of player they love, versatile, can rush the passer inside or outside, process guy. I like him more than others, but I really like Mazi Smith too. 

This rumor could be an indication they are going DL, or it could be an indication of nothing at all. I agree with the idea that he could be the "stealth" guy. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He seems like the type of player they love, versatile, can rush the passer inside or outside, process guy. I like him more than others, but I really like Mazi Smith too. 

This rumor could be an indication they are going DL, or it could be an indication of nothing at all. I agree with the idea that he could be the "stealth" guy. 

His 15-year old sister died from brain cancer last year. Yikes - that is absolutely horrible. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryan-bresee/32004252-4551-0679-d769-a1a0d80e7931

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You definitely could be right, but unlike you he's 64 years old and the epitome of an NFL lifer. He is giving up a salary of approximately $1 million-plus per year with no assurance that he'll get rehired at 65. It's not like he's going to become an artisanal carpenter or farm-to-table chef. It continues to look strange to me, and I don't think anyone knows the full story. I have to think the showing vs Cincy didn't sit well with people. They were terrible on D that day (and yes, I know there were injuries).

With his record if he wants a job in the NFL in 2024 he will have one. I think he just looked at the slog that the NFL calendar was and thought I don't have the energy for that, I need to recharge my batteries. Guarantee that come November and December all the young hotshot offensive guys in the potential HC picture will be ringing Leslie Frazier to try and get him to attach his name to their candidacy for hiring season. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've developed this fantasy in my head of the Bills drafting Bryan Bresee or Mazi Smith at pick 27, then immediately trading away Oliver and trading for DeAndre Hopkins. In one fell swoop we free up $10.7 million so that Hopkins becomes affordable and draft Oliver's replacement. Defense gets marginally worse but cheaper, and the offense gets a high impact player. I'd take that outcome right now if I could.

Very likely scenario. DT is a real possibility at 27. Not sure they trade for Hopkins but trading Oliver makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

With his record if he wants a job in the NFL in 2024 he will have one. I think he just looked at the slog that the NFL calendar was and thought I don't have the energy for that, I need to recharge my batteries. Guarantee that come November and December all the young hotshot offensive guys in the potential HC picture will be ringing Leslie Frazier to try and get him to attach his name to their candidacy for hiring season. 

Don't hold your breath.

Edited by nosejob
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Medical history: ACL and kidney infection

Yet he's a physical freak which Beane seemingly loves in the 1st pick not to mention he in a position of need as doubt we bring Oliver back. If he falls to us I wouldn't be shocked if we grab him, yet I'd rather trade into the 2nd and get an extra pick this year and next year. As the DT I like most in this draft is Keeanu Benton.

9 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m not sure Flowers makes it past the Pats but Chiefs showing some unorthodox interest in him

This makes a lot of sense. Athletically, he's somewhat similar to Hardman, but seems like a much more mature, driven, "has the dawg in him" type football player. Feels like a good fit for them. The question is what KC would have to give up to go get him...

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

This makes a lot of sense. Athletically, he's somewhat similar to Hardman, but seems like a much more mature, driven, "has the dawg in him" type football player. Feels like a good fit for them. The question is what KC would have to give up to go get him...

They have 12 picks so that won't be an issue for them 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.