Anton Harrison T, U. Oak. Draft profile

PrimeTime101

This is my pick if he is there Round 1... And here is why

Anton Harrison Tackle U. Oak.

6'4

309 LBS

Named to All-Big 12 First Team by the league’s coaches and A

Projection Late First round but he is sliding in the right direction.

Film Study

Highlights

Pros

Athletic with the ability to play T or G

Exceptional Lateral Quickness

Strong hands and good with slapping defenders arms down.

Creates great leverage and torque with his legs

Seems to handle spin moves very well.

Good football IQ. A student of the game.

Cons

Spent time in a spread quick throwing system. Systems like this hurt more than help.

Hand placement - Holding calls (not often but enough to be noticed) *I find it funny that this is on many OL draft profiles. its a college thing and he will grow out of it).

Gets Caught setting to early. (setting to early gets you pushed over by those power moves)

We have to put this dude somewhere on the list yes?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I think I’d rather have him than anyone.  

The only thing that hurts him is he gets over aggressive. This is an guy that can play swing *McD and Beane loves swings.. and if he is as good as advertised? he could change the whole OL and start at LT pushing Dawkins to G or RT. Remember when Dawkins started his career in the NFL. he played one series at RT. Came off.. (was a crap with player he replaced)  Went to Guard for a few series then LT and never looked back. Dawkins can play many positions on this team.

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Fans seem to prefer Darnell Wright over Harrison by a pretty big margin. Not sure why. 

Not saying fans are wrong or that Daniel Jeremiah is right here but DJ has Wright ranked as the 17th best prospect in the draft whereas he has Harrison outside his top 50

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Fans seem to prefer Darnell Wright over Harrison by a pretty big margin. Not sure why. 

Not sure why either.. I think this guy is a winner pick.

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

Not saying fans are wrong or that Daniel Jeremiah is right here but DJ has Wright ranked as the 17th best prospect in the draft whereas he has Harrison outside his top 50

yea.. again I dont get it.. 

NFL.com Draft profile. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anton-harrison/32004841-5257-5324-7acd-121b32d76e46

Has him graded at a 6.27 which falls in the "Will eventually be an average starter" catagory. Check out his NFL comparison at the bottom of my post.

My question to that is, is it the younger version him or today's version?

Overview

Collegiate left tackle with good size and length, but average athletic traits. Harrison is self-aware and does a nice job of utilizing his strengths to mask his weaknesses. He has a feel for pocket depth and uses his length and an inside-out approach to get the job done, but NFL speed could have him scrambling without help. Harrison lacks the pop and drive of a plus run blocker and is better at neutralizing opponents with proper positioning. There are some limitations athletically and it won’t always look fluid, but Harrison has the demeanor and football savvy to get the job done as a starter in time.

Strengths

* Hands remain punch-ready in protection.

* Patient not to overset or overextend at the top of the rush.

* Fires his hands with some pepper on them.

* Finds full arm extension to maintain feel for rusher.

* Will find work when uncovered.

Instinctive in his positional run blocking.

* Adequate fluidity climbing to linebackers.

* Activates hands to discard opponent’s punch.

Weaknesses

* Has trouble locating initial hands in run game.

* Average foot chop with elevated pads as drive blocker.

* Fails to knock opponents back at first contact.

* Might not have slide quickness for desired diagonal sets.

* Connection between feet and hands is disjointed.

* Can be rocked backward by speed-to-power rush.

* Below average agility to recover when beaten.

NFL Comparison 

Dion Dawkins

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Go watch Darnell Wright handle Will Anderson on YouTube

Yeah he did.  This would be as good a place as any to proclaim Anderson supremely overrated.  I think he’ll be solid but unspectacular.  Maybe like a Dexter Fowler. 

I’d be very happy with wright as well.  He’s more well rounded and way more

powerful than Harrison.  I think both will be better than Spencer Brown.  

He's almost certain to be available.  I don't know if he has played much if any guard, but his size suggests he could be position versatile.  He would be a reasonable value.  So yes, it is entirely possible that he could be the pick.  It probably wouldn't happen if a upper tier player slid unexpectedly.  For instance, I have seen mocks where Quentin Johnston was not picked in the first round.  In the unlikely prospect of Johnston being available, I think the Bills run to the podium with the pick.  On the other hand, this evening, I saw a mock projecting the Bills to pick Jordan Addison.  Addison was hugely productive in college, but he's small, frail and not very fast.  I think he is locked in as a slot receiver in the pros, and I don't think the Bills are looking for a slot receiver.  In that same mock, there is little available talent on the board.  The Bills could conceivably go for Bryan Bresee who was on the board, a tall 3 tech or Mazi Smith, a nose tackle with great measurables but disappointing college production, but Harrison is available in that mock, and to my thinking might be the most attractive option.  A trade down out of the first round is also possible.  It all depends on how the draft plays out.

I found it interesting that the NFL player Harrison most resembles is Dion Dawkins. If they draft Harrison, it'll be Dawkins job he takes in 2024.

The article stated that he could play G or T but he has played nothing but LT going back to his High School team. If drafted by Buffalo, LT will be his position.

Harrison could be BPA at #27.

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I found it interesting that the NFL player Harrison most resembles is Dion Dawkins. If they draft Harrison, it'll be Dawkins job he takes in 2024.

The article stated that he could play G or T but he has played nothing but LT going back to his High School team. If drafted by Buffalo, LT will be his position.

Harrison could be BPA at #27.

Dawkins just played T in College, yet they plugged him at Guard for a while and did well before he secured his spot at LT. Just because a player does not play a position in college does not mean they can do better somewhere else.

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

He's almost certain to be available.  I don't know if he has played much if any guard, but his size suggests he could be position versatile.  He would be a reasonable value.  So yes, it is entirely possible that he could be the pick.  It probably wouldn't happen if a upper tier player slid unexpectedly.  For instance, I have seen mocks where Quentin Johnston was not picked in the first round.  In the unlikely prospect of Johnston being available, I think the Bills run to the podium with the pick.  On the other hand, this evening, I saw a mock projecting the Bills to pick Jordan Addison.  Addison was hugely productive in college, but he's small, frail and not very fast.  I think he is locked in as a slot receiver in the pros, and I don't think the Bills are looking for a slot receiver.  In that same mock, there is little available talent on the board.  The Bills could conceivably go for Bryan Bresee who was on the board, a tall 3 tech or Mazi Smith, a nose tackle with great measurables but disappointing college production, but Harrison is available in that mock, and to my thinking might be the most attractive option.  A trade down out of the first round is also possible.  It all depends on how the draft plays out.

size and lateral speed would suggest he can do both. 

either way, this is going to be a fun draft! 

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

NFL.com Draft profile. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anton-harrison/32004841-5257-5324-7acd-121b32d76e46

Has him graded at a 6.27 which falls in the "Will eventually be an average starter" catagory. Check out his NFL comparison at the bottom of my post.

My question to that is, is it the younger version him or today's version?

Overview

Collegiate left tackle with good size and length, but average athletic traits. Harrison is self-aware and does a nice job of utilizing his strengths to mask his weaknesses. He has a feel for pocket depth and uses his length and an inside-out approach to get the job done, but NFL speed could have him scrambling without help. Harrison lacks the pop and drive of a plus run blocker and is better at neutralizing opponents with proper positioning. There are some limitations athletically and it won’t always look fluid, but Harrison has the demeanor and football savvy to get the job done as a starter in time.

Strengths

* Hands remain punch-ready in protection.

* Patient not to overset or overextend at the top of the rush.

* Fires his hands with some pepper on them.

* Finds full arm extension to maintain feel for rusher.

* Will find work when uncovered.

Instinctive in his positional run blocking.

* Adequate fluidity climbing to linebackers.

* Activates hands to discard opponent’s punch.

Weaknesses

* Has trouble locating initial hands in run game.

* Average foot chop with elevated pads as drive blocker.

* Fails to knock opponents back at first contact.

* Might not have slide quickness for desired diagonal sets.

* Connection between feet and hands is disjointed.

* Can be rocked backward by speed-to-power rush.

* Below average agility to recover when beaten.

NFL Comparison 

Dion Dawkins

The 2 bolded I totally disagree with. I think Dawkins is a good comparison but a better version of Dawkins. I think his upside is way higher than what Dawkins was when he came to Buffalo. His Horizontal quickness is great so yea.. Just my personal opinion from watching his games. 

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

One of the knocks I've read on Harrison is that he has borderline strength and he'll get consistently pushed into the qb's lap by bull rushes.

Any truth to that?

so this is a knock on 90% of the lineman that come out of college... One moron at espn or NFL.com will say it... then EVERYONE SAYS IT.   Here is the kids problem.. And I noted this in my draft profile. he sticks to fast. (at times) he sets up his defensive point to early at times allowing power ends to push him back.. This is something that is a negative for most lineman and a very easy thing to fix, especially when this kid seems to be a student of the game. 

This is why I do not copy paste from espn or NFL and I spend a week doing my own evaluation and give what I personally feel is right. Plenty of times I have seen the best NFL lineman on the NFL field set up to soon and get pushed back towards the QB. 

In Short.. Good solid lineman like Dawkins can't win every battle on the line.. but they will win most of them. Great QB's are built to see where there is an issue like this and thats why QB's step up, side, back a little or roll out. In short initially when this happens its the T or G fault.. but the QB sees it as well. Most times when the QB steps in the pocket more is because of just this.. The DE has powered their way to the QB and by the QB stepping up in the pocket, the T can reset and continue to block.

Great question though. 

• Like (+1) 1

One thing that comes to mind when watching these videos is that I often times find myself seeing things differently than the person creating the video content... and often times disagreeing with them when they're singing the praises of the player.

For instance, getting movement on a defender who's already engaged in a double team is not showing great strength at the point of attack. So much of this stuff is subjective... who's he blocking? Which way was the player leaning? Which players are nursing injuries? And so on and so forth.

Just watching the first 5 minutes of the first video you can see Harrison seems to have good enough feet to play tackle but it also looks like needs to get a lot stronger both upper and lower body. It also appears that he plays high and bends at the waist and lunges too much and doesn't drop his hips.

These are all common flaws at this level and I'm not saying he won't be an excellent player, but rather that he has a lot of improving to do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.