Optimizing Dawson Knox

Chaos

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Oh really? Both games? 

Against the Dolphins, 25 first downs, 5.9 yards per play and 34 points scored while turning the ball over 3 times.  None of which should be attributed to Dorsey. Losing the turnover battle 3-2. And Knox dropped a gimmie TD that would have put the Bills at 38 points. 

Miami Game - After going up 14-0 in the 1st quarter: FG, INT, Punt, INT, FG, Fumble 6, Punt, Punt (8 straight possessions where the offense generated a net -1 point loss) before finishing TD, TD, Punt, Punt.  This was a common theme nearly every game (except Cinci where they throttled us), go up by multiple scores and then crawl into a shell and let them back into the game.  With the elite tools at his disposal our OC sucked and we better hope it’s because he is a rookie.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It is. The other thing about that analogy is that it is pretty true of guys with classic auto's like that. They don't use them much. And that happens to be the case with Knox. Until we start using him I can't put him in higher tiers. The fact of the matter is we use him like a JAG starting TE and he should be viewed as such until that changes. All the advanced metrics of separation rate really don't mean much until it is all put together. 

Except the one part of the field we use him like a top 10 tight end he performs like a top 5 one.

I get why people feel that they can't rank him higher because of numbers but the number that matters most - scoring - he does at a rate only bettered by the top 2 or 3 in the league. 

If the Bills commit to using him Dawson Knox is capable of a 1,000 yard season IMO. More so to me than Gabe Davis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Except the one part of the field we use him like a top 10 tight end he performs like a top 5 one.

I get why people feel that they can't rank him higher because of numbers but the number that matters most - scoring - he does at a rate only bettered by the top 2 or 3 in the league. 

If the Bills commit to using him Dawson Knox is capable of a 1,000 yard season IMO. More so to me than Gabe Davis.

As good as the offense is we would benefit from a chain mover type.  Could be Julian Edelman/Wes Welker slot guy type. Could be TE.  Of the guys on the roster Knox is the best chance for that.  I think it is too easy to separate scheme and talent.  I think a Better oline allows Dorsey better scheme options.  But even if the oline talent is the same I can hope Dorsey finds a way to mix it more.  An earlier poster suggested that 15 yards per game could come out allen runs.  Over the course of the season that adds up.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

As good as the offense is we would benefit from a chain mover type.  Could be Julian Edelman/Wes Welker slot guy type. Could be TE.  Of the guys on the roster Knox is the best chance for that.  I think it is too easy to separate scheme and talent.  I think a Better oline allows Dorsey better scheme options.  But even if the oline talent is the same I can hope Dorsey finds a way to mix it more.  An earlier poster suggested that 15 yards per game could come out allen runs.  Over the course of the season that adds up.  

Agree an improved oline helps. I say iy constantly but if you are getting whipped up front not many plays in your playbook work. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Miami Game - After going up 14-0 in the 1st quarter: FG, INT, Punt, INT, FG, Fumble 6, Punt, Punt (8 straight possessions where the offense generated a net -1 point loss) before finishing TD, TD, Punt, Punt.  This was a common theme nearly every game (except Cinci where they throttled us), go up by multiple scores and then crawl into a shell and let them back into the game.  With the elite tools at his disposal our OC sucked and we better hope it’s because he is a rookie.  

Beasley dropping a pass for an INT, Allen not protecting the ball on a strip sack, Allen throwing up a bad ball to John Brown. How do we contribute all of those to Dorsey? Despite those three terrible turnovers and the Knox drop the Bills still scored 34 points. But that is a bad offensive outing? No, they just made critical errors not attributed to the OC and still scored 34. 

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

Dawson Knox is paid like a star player.  He has certainly flashed star talent. And he seems like a wonderful human being. I feel like the Bills don't get the expected production of out his salary level because he needs to help in pass protection too much.  A couple of questions which I am sure the more technical football analysts at TBD can help answer. 

1)If we simply add a solid tackle, and handle protections that way, does Knox automatically become more productive
2)If we added a big blocking TE like Darnell Washington, would that make Knox able to be more productive as the pass catching TE/someitme slot receiver

3)If we added both a solid tackel and a blocking TE like Darnell Washington, could Knox's pass catching protection grow to the Kelce/Gronk level? 

I feel like Knox is a break out star waiting to happen, but if it doesn't this year, it probably never will. 

Dawson Knox is a good player.  And is real good in the red zone.  I think he has a pretty high ceiling for an NFL Tight End.  But your 3rd question is a little silly.  To even put him in the same sentence with Kelce or Gronk is ridiculous.  Those are two of the best of all time.  Definitely top 5 with Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow Sr and Antonio Gates.  (you can put some other names there as well from different eras)  He is just not a crazy athlete to put up ridiculous numbers.  But he is still a good player for our team, who should be used more often in the passing game if possible.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The most important missed play of the season was Josh's overthrow of Diggs in the Cincinnati game. Dorsey schemed Diggs wide open and josh overthrew him by 5 yards. You can see it here. This is all on Josh. 

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Beasley dropping a pass for an INT, Allen not protecting the ball on a strip sack, Allen throwing up a bad ball to John Brown. How do we contribute all of those to Dorsey? Despite those three terrible turnovers and the Knox drop the Bills still scored 34 points. But that is a bad offensive outing? No, they just made critical errors not attributed to the OC and still scored 34. 

They are ATTRIBUTED to him because he’s the OFFENSIVE Coordinator.  

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The most important missed play of the season was Josh's overthrow of Diggs in the Cincinnati game. Dorsey schemed Diggs wide open and josh overthrew him by 5 yards. You can see it here. This is all on Josh. 

Whoever that ***** poindexter is talks about Allen getting hit WHILE throwing that pass as if it’s a minor issue. An NFL player was hitting him. That’s not an overthrow. It’s yet AGAIN proof we need an offensive line who protects our generational superstar. 

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Of the #2 offense in the league 

#2 by what metric?  They aren’t top 2 in any statistical category.

They scored 10 points in their final playoff game.  I don’t care about regular season stats , if you suck in the playoffs…you suck period! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Darnell Washington would compliment Knox by providing superior blocking with an adequate RZ threat. He would also allow Dorsey to incorporate more 12 personnel looks. I do believe it would allow Knox to operate more as an offensive threat.

Forgive me, Dr. Who, but I have to point out that you misspelled the word "complement." To "compliment" means to praise; "complement" means to supplement or complete, as in what I take to be your meaning here. No blame: the word may be one of the most commonly misspelled in the language. And it usually leads to unintentionally comic results, as in extolling the benefits of bringing in a TE to compliment another TE. "Looking mighty fine today, Dawson! Those new socks?"

Puts a whole new spin on the draft and free agency! 😀

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, finn said:

Forgive me, Dr. Who, but I have to point out that you misspelled the word "complement." To "compliment" means to praise; "complement" means to supplement or complete, as in what I take to be your meaning here. No blame: the word may be one of the most commonly misspelled in the language. And it usually leads to unintentionally comic results, as in extolling the benefits of bringing in a TE to compliment another TE. "Looking mighty fine today, Dawson! Those new socks?"

Puts a whole new spin on the draft and free agency! 😀

Amusing. Indeed, I make no claims to spelling accuracy, especially when homophones are involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Einstein said:

Josh playing like poorly down the stretch last year is kind of the elephant in the room that no-one has been willing to bring up.

Week 8 to 17

18 passing TD’s and 13 turnovers 

Can’t bring it up without multiple responses saying he’s the most talented qb to ever live and that he’s not to blame. Just add Oline, weapons, new OC and his mistakes will magically disappear replaced by automatic superbowls for years to come. Slightly exaggerating about the responses of course…very slightly. 

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

#2 by what metric?  They aren’t top 2 in any statistical category.

They scored 10 points in their final playoff game.  I don’t care about regular season stats , if you suck in the playoffs…you suck period! 

Second in points and second in yards

It's literally the second best offense in the league

16 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I know this sounds trite but I hope you and your family are doing ok. I've lost people early too but that's way too soon. You are, sadly, one of the few who can empathize with Dawson. 

I appreciate your kind words. This is one of the many reasons I love this fan base. Cheers and a toast to those who are no longer here 🍻

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.