Optimizing Dawson Knox

Chaos

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dawson has talent I can forgive the early part of the season what he was dealing with outside of football cause my goodness that had to have an impact on him.
The thing about him though is hands are inconsistent he can make an amazing catch but he drops easy ones.

Hes definitely paid like a Top5 TE and I think he would really benefit from adding a solid number 2 TE.

He's become far more consistent since his earlier issues.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I maintain that I didn’t like Knox’s contract at the time it was signed because Josh has never been reliant on the TE and Knox was going into his first year in Dorsey’s system. We overpaid on his extension, he would’ve got far less if he was a FA this offseason.

My theory is that they signed Knox when they did in part because the team needed some good news after the Matt Araiza situation. They extended Knox about a week after Araiza was cut. He lost his brother earlier in the offseason and I think McDermott and Beane thought the team seeing him get his due after suffering that loss would be a necessary salve for everybody after going through that fiasco.

5 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Knox will only come close to being Kelce once defenses stop covering him, like they refuse to cover Kelce. 

I don't know how he does it, but Reid has a way of scheming that fella college open in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Dawson Knox is paid like a star player.  He has certainly flashed star talent. And he seems like a wonderful human being. I feel like the Bills don't get the expected production of out his salary level because he needs to help in pass protection too much.  A couple of questions which I am sure the more technical football analysts at TBD can help answer. 

1)If we simply add a solid tackle, and handle protections that way, does Knox automatically become more productive
2)If we added a big blocking TE like Darnell Washington, would that make Knox able to be more productive as the pass catching TE/someitme slot receiver

3)If we added both a solid tackel and a blocking TE like Darnell Washington, could Knox's pass catching protection grow to the Kelce/Gronk level? 

I feel like Knox is a break out star waiting to happen, but if it doesn't this year, it probably never will. 

Knox lacked production for the same reason our RB’s and Rookie WR did. The OC is highly inexperienced and non creative.  He. Was given the keys to a Ferrari and turned it into a  mustang.  Hopefully year 2 is different but not holding my breath after watching the offense crap the bed in both playoff games.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know how he does it, but Reid has a way of scheming that fella college open in the NFL.

Do you think we should trade Ed Oliver and a 2nd to KC for Reid to bring him in as our Asst OC to help Dorsey?  Someone should start a thread!!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Seems like Josh just prefers to throw to the WR's. I believe he targets Knox as frequent as Mckenzie.

We are ranked last in percentage IIRC.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/

Knox’s route percentage is also pretty high as well. It’s not an opportunity issue. It’s a target issue.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you think we should trade Ed Oliver and a 2nd to KC for Reid to bring him in as our Asst OC to help Dorsey?  Someone should start a thread!!! 

I think you mean Oliver for Reid and a 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Dawson Knox is paid like a star player.  He has certainly flashed star talent. And he seems like a wonderful human being. I feel like the Bills don't get the expected production of out his salary level because he needs to help in pass protection too much.  A couple of questions which I am sure the more technical football analysts at TBD can help answer. 

1)If we simply add a solid tackle, and handle protections that way, does Knox automatically become more productive
2)If we added a big blocking TE like Darnell Washington, would that make Knox able to be more productive as the pass catching TE/someitme slot receiver

3)If we added both a solid tackel and a blocking TE like Darnell Washington, could Knox's pass catching protection grow to the Kelce/Gronk level? 

I feel like Knox is a break out star waiting to happen, but if it doesn't this year, it probably never will. 

Agreed. He's fairly consistently open in the red zone. He's the best TE in the AFC East. Easily top 7 in the game.  He really came on in the 2nd half of the season,  hopefully that continues from week 1 next year. He definitely has star potential 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Should've gotten Hockenson to put opposite Knox. Would've been ridiculous:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I can't answer the enigma of how Allen is seeing the game.

Josh playing like poorly down the stretch last year is kind of the elephant in the room that no-one has been willing to bring up.

Week 8 to 17

18 passing TD’s and 13 turnovers 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I agree with everything you wrote except the last sentence. He's only 26 and based on his usage I would say he's a young 26. He's got a few years before you can say he won't be a star.

The Bills need to get a good enough line so it's not necessary for him to stay in and block. They also need to feature him more in the offense, especially when teams are doubling Diggs. 

The only thing holding him back is the number of opportunities he gets. The top 5 TEs this year averaged 114.5 targets, including Kelce's 152. Knox's average for his career is less than 60 targets with a career high of only 71.

Take his numbers this year and give him Kelce's 152 targets and he would've had 112 rec., 1,209 yards & 14 tds. Kelce had 110 rec., 1,338 yards & 12 tds. Their production is very similar per target.

Now I'm not saying he's as good as Kelce, after all Kelce is now the focal point in KC for defenses this past year and Diggs is on the Bills. But he could do alot more damage if given the opportunity because of the attention defenses give Diggs and lately defenses using a guy to spy on Josh. I'd like to see his targets increased to around 90-100. About what Kittle(86) & Engram(98) had this year(#4 & #5 TEs in targets).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Josh playing like poorly down the stretch last year is kind of the elephant in the room that no-one has been willing to bring up.

Week 8 to 17

18 passing TD’s and 13 turnovers 

He was pressing. They don't bring in Beasley and Brown late if there weren't some obvious deficiencies in the wr room. Still think injury and poor oline play, first year OC, etc. was part of it. I don't agree with those who want to argue Josh regressed. I don't believe that, but I do think the cumulative effect of everything going on in an unusually trying season rattled him some.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

He was pressing. They don't bring in Beasley and Brown late if there weren't some obvious deficiencies in the wr room. Still think injury and poor oline play, first year OC, etc. was part of it. I don't agree with those who want to argue Josh regressed. I don't believe that, but I do think the cumulative effect of everything going on in an unusually trying season rattled him some.

You are responding to the poster with the most ironic name on TBD.  You also left out the fact that Allen had a meaningful injury. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You are responding to the poster with the most ironic name on TBD.  You also left out the fact that Allen had a meaningful injury. 

I understand. When I write "Still think injury and poor oline play, first year OC, etc. was part of it" I intend Allen's injury to be entailed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.