MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Trading up for a running back is insane. I don’t care how good he is.

If he’s there at 27 and we take him fine

Drafting a rb in the first would just be another wasted 2nd round. Aj, Boogie and Cook

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Interesting article about the LB class from last week. Seems in line with what many of us think.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflmocks.com/2023/04/03/nfl-draft-campbell-linebacker-rankings/amp/

Campbell is an above-average run stuffer, a borderline elite defender in coverage, and an underutilized pass rusher. His leadership ability is second-to-none, and he will be a force in the middle of the defense for the next 12-15 years. Campbell is an All-Pro MIKE. Stamp it.

NFL Draft Grade: Mid-to-Late Day 1      This is from the article.  I can't see a better, safer, more impactful player at 27....period.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Drafting a rb in the first would just be another wasted 2nd round. Aj, Boogie and Cook

In Beane I don’t trust…😉

(Very nervous about his next potential draft day blunder)

I pray to God he does not trade up for Campbell…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:06 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

I've often stated that NFL fans would be much better served by ignoring highlight packages and instead looking for condensed games or "player A vs team A" videos.

This is particularly true for non-skill position players. To watch a player over the course of 65-70 snaps during a game instead of watching that player's highlights will make a big difference in how well an observer understands a player.

That said, here are such videos devoted to Jack Campbell:

Vs. Kentucky:

Vs. Iowa State:

Vs. Michigan:

The added bonus is that you don't have to listen to lousy highlight soundtracks and redundant hype editing.

As for the player, I feel like Campbell has a chance to be a Leighton Vander Esch type of player.

Underwhelming. A very reactive player. Seems to get there a half step late. if LVE is his ceiling, hard pass at 27. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:50 AM, Mark Vader said:

Agreed.

Trading down in general to get more picks would be a good move for the Bills this year.

I'd rather have more picks than signing a ton of UDFA's.

"More picks" seems like a sound strategy...but I don't care to add day 3 picks.  They just might get poached off the practice squad. 

If Bills trade out of the 1st,I hope it's for TWO, day 2 picks.

If a QB drops to 27...Bills could get a good offer.

Listening to the Locked On NFL Scouting Pod today from a few days ago and I was a little surprised to hear that Kyle Crabbs absolutely loves Jack Campbell...Seemed to indicate that not only does he have a 1st Rd Grade on him, but that it was better than Top 20...

I still think Campbell will be the Bills first pick in this Draft. Not sure where exactly. I'd prefer to trade down and get picks. But if McBeane view him like Crabbs, no way they chance a trade down. 😎

On 4/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, DJB said:

All that except production.   Sanders played in the toughest division in the best conference against some of the best offensive minds (Kiffen, Pirate, BOB) in football and filled up the stat sheet in his first year as a MLB.  
Campbell played in a division that plays the worst offensive football in the P5.  Teams like Wisky, NW, Minn and Nebraska all play schemes that you simply won’t see in the NFL and are antiquated.  Hell, Iowa is the very worst offense in college football and that’s what he practices against. Predictable personnel groupings, very little spread, terrible WRs and RBs who aren’t used in the passing game outside of dump offs. 
There’s very little difference in their RAS outside of their broad jump which doesn’t mean much at MLB anymore. 
If Beane picks Campbell it means he’s learned nothing from his past failed drafts. 

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

Let’s say the Bills don’t draft a LB in round 1, what are the odds that one of Jack Campbell, Trenton Simpson, or Drew Sanders are there for the Bills second pick? 

IMHO...Campbell and Sanders 0%...Simpson probably 15%... 😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Let’s say the Bills don’t draft a LB in round 1, what are the odds that one of Jack Campbell, Trenton Simpson, or Drew Sanders are there for the Bills second pick? 

I think there is a pretty good chance that all 3 will be gone before the Bills' #59 pick. That is why I suspect that if they opt to draft a non-LB in the first round, then they will move up a few spots in the 2nd to ensure that they get one of Campbell/Simpson/Sanders. Think back to how they did in 2007, when they drafted Lynch in the 1st and traded up for Poz in the 2nd.

Given the consensus on the low number of first round-graded players in this draft, I honestly do not think the Bills will be too worried about "value" at 27, since there is unlikely to be much in the way of value at that spot anyway. And while trading down may be nice in a situation like this, it takes two to tango AND there is something to be said for procuring that extra cost-controlled year (and option year) by staying put in the first round. Now, if they see one of the last of the 1st round graded players (regardless of position) still on the board in the 20s, I could see them trading up a few spots to get him.

I would say that with McD's inside Kuechly source and the obvious need at the position, assuming no genuine 1st round graded player drops to 27 (and barring a slight trade up), Campbell could be the go-to pick at 27.

• Like (+1) 5

On 4/16/2023 at 9:20 AM, nosejob said:

Campbell is an above-average run stuffer, a borderline elite defender in coverage, and an underutilized pass rusher. His leadership ability is second-to-none, and he will be a force in the middle of the defense for the next 12-15 years. Campbell is an All-Pro MIKE. Stamp it.

NFL Draft Grade: Mid-to-Late Day 1      This is from the article.  I can't see a better, safer, more impactful player at 27....period.

These are my thoughts as well.

Now his size characteristics make him likely even more valued by Buff. We love these tall big guys for MLB.

Interesting article: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/jack-campbell-nfl-draft-2023-interview/

Two excerpts I find interesting...

JM: You recently connected with Luke Kuechly to work some position drills. That sounds like an amazing opportunity and partnership. He’s one of the greatest linebackers to ever play the game. What was that like?

Jack Campbell: Getting to spend a week with Luke Kuechly was amazing. We first connected at the Butkus Award ceremony. He came down to Irvine, California where I was training. We spent so much good time together.

I wanted to dive in on how he breaks down film. I wanted to know what a normal week looked like for Kuechly in the NFL. I also gained a ton of valuable information on what kind of specific position work he was doing. I basically wanted to learn about everything he did that allowed him to go out there and dominate on Sundays. 

He played the game at the highest level imaginable. Like you said, he’s one of the best middle linebackers of all time. Anything I could learn from him, I was just trying to be a sponge. He taught me about NFL defenses and how those systems are set up. It’s going to be a little bit different from the scheme I played in at Iowa. We dropped and played coverage a little differently than the NFL does.

It was such an amazing experience. I broke down so many different things with him. I definitely picked up tips and tricks that I’ll be using in the future. I’m implementing those things into my game.

JM: Have you completed any Top 30 visits, private workouts, or Zoom meetings?

Jack Campbell: I’ve had several teams reach out to me via Zoom. I’ve had a lot of good opportunities there. I completed a few Top 30 visits as well. Out of respect to them, I’m going to keep that information confidential. I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know all of these coaches. I’m experiencing different things and meeting new people. My childhood dream is coming true.

• Like (+1) 3

Just to add, I have been saying that I believe that Jack Campbell has been on a number of visits but they have not been reported and there is a reason why. He is only true MLB in this draft. 

Now does that mean the Bills are trying to keep it quiet? Who knows. But he is clearly saying he is keeping it quiet and I think it's clear that those teams have directed him to do so.

Does that mean it's the Bills? I can't fathom why he wouldn't be someone they wanted. Who knows if they are one of those teams, but it is interesting. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.