MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah maybe.  They just signed Cole

holcomb and elandon Roberts to play inside. 

if they took him, so be it.  Personally, I don’t really love Campbell much more than Simpson and Sanders.  I think we could be better off drafting Dorian Williams, Sewell, Henley, Pappoe, To’oTo’o or Overshown later on rather than taking Campbell @ 27. That said- if Campbell is the pick @ 27, I’m ok with it.  I just wouldn’t love it.  

When it comes to Campbell and the other backers, I worry more about the Lions. I could see them taking Campbell at 18 even, since they have another first in the top ten, they could reach a little. He seems like he would be a Campbell guy literally. 

But the Steelers at 32 and then this stretch in the second round: 

37) Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)

38) Las Vegas Raiders
39) Carolina Panthers
40) New Orleans Saints
41) Tennessee Titans
42) Cleveland Browns
43) New York Jets
44) Atlanta Falcons
45) Green Bay Packers
46) New England Patriots
47) Washington Commanders
48) Detroit Lions
49) Pittsburgh Steelers

Campbell, Simpson, Sanders will not get through that gauntlet. Those guys won't make it to us in round 2. 

Even after that, it is unlikely: 

50) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
51) Miami Dolphins
52) Seattle Seahawks
53) Chicago Bears (from Baltimore)
54) Los Angeles Chargers
55) Detroit Lions (from Minnesota)
56) Jacksonville Jaguars
57) New York Giants
58) Dallas Cowboys

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

I prefer Sanders: seems more athletic and has on-ball and off-ball LB experience.  At this point, I'm hoping for a FA LB (Jack) and just getting JA as much help as possible in the draft.  

It's also interesting that Sanders and Campbell appear ranked differently depending on the source.  Zero consensus.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

When it comes to Campbell and the other backers, I worry more about the Lions. I could see them taking Campbell at 18 even, since they have another first in the top ten, they could reach a little. He seems like he would be a Campbell guy literally. 

38) Las Vegas Raiders
39) Carolina Panthers
40) New Orleans Saints
41) Tennessee Titans
42) Cleveland Browns
43) New York Jets
44) Atlanta Falcons
45) Green Bay Packers
46) New England Patriots
48) Detroit Lions
49) Pittsburgh Steelers

Campbell, Simpson, Sanders will not get through that gauntlet. Those guys won't make it to us in round 2. 

50) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
51) Miami Dolphins
52) Seattle Seahawks
54) Los Angeles Chargers
56) Jacksonville Jaguars
57) New York Giants
58) Dallas Cowboys

I agree.  I’ve said from the start I don’t think one of the 3 will make it to us-  I just don’t think they’re worth 27 and we’d be reaching to fill a hole if drafted. 

I think one of them will be there into the top 1/3 of rd 2.  If we miss one, so be it.  Reaching is bad, especially on D (for this team)

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I prefer Sanders: seems more athletic and has on-ball and off-ball LB experience.  At this point, I'm hoping for a FA LB (Jack) and just getting JA as much help as possible in the draft.  

Have you watched Jack play over the last few years?  He’s one of the worst LBers in the league imo.  He’s shot

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Joe B’s Athletic article today:

Lions get Nos. 27 and 137, Bills get Nos. 48, 55, 183, 194

Bills picks after trade: Nos. 48, 55, 59, 91, 130, 183, 194, 205

Bills pick Campbell at 48, Marvin Mims at 55, Antonio Johnson at 59.

I like that if OT is one of our first two picks, but not sure about the MLB that will be there at 48.  6 picks in the top 150 is nice though

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

38) Las Vegas Raiders
39) Carolina Panthers
40) New Orleans Saints
41) Tennessee Titans
42) Cleveland Browns
43) New York Jets
44) Atlanta Falcons
45) Green Bay Packers
46) New England Patriots
48) Detroit Lions
49) Pittsburgh Steelers

50) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
51) Miami Dolphins
52) Seattle Seahawks
54) Los Angeles Chargers
56) Jacksonville Jaguars
57) New York Giants
58) Dallas Cowboys

is there a LB you like beyond the top 3 of Simpson, Sanders and/or Campbell that could be available in Rd. 2 or 3?  

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

letting OL get into him is concerning.  Edmunds like?  Otherwise looks good.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

is there a LB you like beyond the top 3 of Simpson, Sanders and/or Campbell that could be available in Rd. 2 or 3?  

Not like you asked me, but If we miss one of the top 3-  I pray we don’t take a LB in rd 2.  Henley would probably be the highest rated but his size scares me.  He’s probably the smoothest mover of all the LBs in the draft, but I think he’ll be a big liability vs the run   If we’re going to take an undersized guy that can run I’d rather wait til rd 4-5.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Joe B’s Athletic article today:

Lions get Nos. 27 and 137, Bills get Nos. 48, 55, 183, 194

Bills picks after trade: Nos. 48, 55, 59, 91, 130, 183, 194, 205

Bills pick Campbell at 48, Marvin Mims at 55, Antonio Johnson at 59.

I guess this is not too bad.  Fan of Mims, but no IOL help is a huge issue.  OL get hurt, it's part of the game.  I want one (or both) of Tippman or Avila in the 1st 3 rounds.  I could pass on Johnson in the above, we are set at safety next year, and then go after Robinson (FSU) later in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

It's also interesting that Sanders and Campbell appear ranked differently depending on the source.  Zero consensus.  

Campbell actually tested better than Sanders in everything but the 40. 4.65 to 4.59. 

image.thumb.png.fba48bedad88234fb0a591eca47ace92.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not like you asked me, but If we miss one of the top 3-  I pray we don’t take a LB in rd 2.  Henley would probably be the highest rated but his size scares me.  He’s probably the smoothest mover of all the LBs in the draft, but I think he’ll be a big liability vs the run   If we’re going to take an undersized guy that can run I’d rather wait til rd 4-5.

Thanks!  I'll take any input here. 

There do appear to be a lot of undersized "run" guys in that 4-5 range.  Williams from Tulane is my top guy in that range, Banks (Tenn) and Horton (not undersized, however) from TCU is interesting. There is a Pitt LB that is also interesting (Sir something), although he is more 5-6 range.  

Interested in if you have any targets in that range that stick out? 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, nosejob said:

There is no Way in Hell they take him at 27, He would get us good trade out of the spot value though. I don't see them taking a RB until maybe a big body UFDA.

How many backs do you think they'll dress/play/carry? I highly doubt he makes it to us anyway.

Agree with you that they won't take Robinson at 27. 

However, I do think an RB is possible in the later rounds like a round 4 R Johnson type.  A big back for the future to back up and assume Harris' thunder role.  This would then make a young, cheap, consistent RB room for several years.

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

letting OL get into him is concerning.  Edmunds like?  Otherwise looks good.  

I'm not sure. Henley is interesting, but I don't really think he is a mike. Sewell has some good traits, not sure about the fit. DeMarvion Overshown is interesting. Dorain Williams too.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Interesting comment and I’ve seen this before. What are your thoughts on the long term evolution of the Bills defensive alignment (and the NFL as a whole). Will McD stick with two LBs or start moving to the more traditional 4-3? 

The “base nickel” is here to stay for awhile. I couldn’t tell you exactly how many teams employ this strategy, but I’d venture to guess it’s well over 70%. The short passing game with 1 TE is here until someone makes it stop being productive. And colleges are actually supplying good QB’s with this offense, too. Now, the 43 alignment could very well “exist” in some form where one linebacker is a safety-linebacker hybrid. This is, for all intents and purposes, what we do with our nickel. You never see Johnson lining wide in any set. That’s not his strength and it would result in him immediately being challenged by any QB who paid attention in meetings. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is true. Campbell is taller, thicker and faster, but it's close: 

image.thumb.png.5ddc20788ce29025b3cc46659d19a31c.png

So physically, it's closer to Kuechly. Campbell isn't as fast, but he is bigger. How he drops in zone, there is just so much intelligence in his game, similar to Kuechly. He also has those leadership qualities. I hate to always harp on that 3 cone, but a man 6-5, 250 running that 3 cone is absurd. 

image.thumb.png.166948c37bc6791aa0e9b445f9f7d1bc.png

I know people don't love Walterfootball....here is some breakdown: 

Strengths:
Instincts
Excellent run defender
Quick to the sideline
Good tackler
Hard hitter

Very physical
Will take on blocks
Can shed blocks and make tackles
Tall but plays with good leverage
Diagnosis skills
Read-and-react skills
Fits a 4-3 or 3-4 defense
Always around the ball
Quick to the flat
Closing speed
Rangy

Advanced pass-coverage linebacker
Can help cover against tight ends and running backs
Can drop into zone coverage
Good vision in zone
Disrupts passing lanes
Excellent length in pass coverage
Strong, thick build
Big linebacker; imposing presence
Played on special teams as well
Durable

Weaknesses:
Lacks elite speed
Quality athleticism, but not supremely so

Here is their comp: 

Player Comparison: Luke Kuechly. Campbell has a similar playing style to what Kuechly brought. Campbell is a poor man's version, however, as he is not as fast and athletic as Kuechly and displays lesser instincts. Still, Campbell can make some plays that are reminiscent of Kuechly. Campbell could be a lesser version of Kuechly in the NFL, which means a very good starter given that Kuechly probably belongs in the Hall of Fame.

That all passes the eye test of what I see. Do you want the anti-Tremaine, who can do a lot of the same things athletically? This is the guy imo. 

BUT….is he old enough to buy beer?   🍺 

It sounds like his playing speed is more impressive than his timed speed. The strengths and weaknesses do not seem perfectly aligned. I prefer football players over track stars. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Sanders is also a multi-position guy, and more explosive/big play ability. He's also one of the top pass rushers in the draft. Beane and McD love guys who can do more than just one thing, and he's Edmonds sized. If not Sanders at 27, I'd be good with O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida. Dude followed Napier and put on another great season at Guard. Dude is already a stud. I feel someone like that will take care of the rest, much like how Von opened up our pass rushing with his presence and ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

The “base nickel” is here to stay for awhile. I couldn’t tell you exactly how many teams employ this strategy, but I’d venture to guess it’s well over 70%. The short passing game with 1 TE is here until someone makes it stop being productive. And colleges are actually supplying good QB’s with this offense, too. Now, the 43 alignment could very well “exist” in some form where one linebacker is a safety-linebacker hybrid. This is, for all intents and purposes, what we do with our nickel. You never see Johnson lining wide in any set. That’s not his strength and it would result in him immediately being challenged by any QB who paid attention in meetings. 

The 4-2-5 came about when offenses at the college level started by being pass heavy spread teams.  The game a long time ago was about packing it in with big guys who could push each other and now its more about speed and separation. Spread offenses either make you pull that nickel player out of the box or 3rd LB. With 3rd Receivers being smaller and shiftier, you have to match it with a smaller shiftier player(Johnson). A LB, lets just say Klein would be at a severe disadvantage. 

In a 4-2-5 the Nickel and the safeties are very valuable as these 3 players ideally are big tough physical but also athletic enough to do coverage and come down to the line and face offensive lineman who are bigger than they are. This is why I believe Taylor Rapp was signed to be that bigger body who can do more of that whereas Johnson can be a little more limited. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The 4-2-5 came about when offenses at the college level started by being pass heavy spread teams.  The game a long time ago was about packing it in with big guys who could push each other and now its more about speed and separation. Spread offenses either make you pull that nickel player out of the box or 3rd LB. With 3rd Receivers being smaller and shiftier, you have to match it with a smaller shiftier player(Johnson). A LB, lets just say Klein would be at a severe disadvantage. 

In a 4-2-5 the Nickel and the safeties are very valuable as these 3 players ideally are big tough physical but also athletic enough to do coverage and come down to the line and face offensive lineman who are bigger than they are. This is why I believe Taylor Rapp was signed to be that bigger body who can do more of that whereas Johnson can be a little more limited. 

This ^^^

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree. From the highlights, Sanders looks faster than Campbell. He closes in a hurry. I wouldn't balk at him being the choice at 27. 

2 minutes ago, finn said:

I agree. From the highlights, Sanders looks faster than Campbell. He closes in a hurry. I wouldn't balk at him being the choice at 27. 

Highlights are fun to watch, but by definition are meant to show the very best plays by a given player. Use caution when scouting from highlight videos - everybody looks good in their highlights.

49 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Agree with you that they won't take Robinson at 27. 

However, I do think an RB is possible in the later rounds like a round 4 R Johnson type.  A big back for the future to back up and assume Harris' thunder role.  This would then make a young, cheap, consistent RB room for several years.

Maybe at 205.  We need a LB / C/G / WR / S in the 1st 4 picks in some order....and don't discount that there could be a day 1 starter at corner at 27.  It wouldn't surprise me to hear the BPA bit there.

Edited by nosejob

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.