Matthew Judon on defending JA

BillsFan619

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

As I understand our Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, the main problem facing the offense is Josh Allen's agressive running style.  This is  a far bigger problem, than QB protection or better offensive weapons.  Glad to see we  have the right focus by the HC.

That's not fair.

McD was directly asked specifically about Josh running and how he felt about it. He wasnt asked "What's the biggest problem on Offense?".

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not fair.

McD was directly asked specifically about Josh running and how he felt about it. He wasnt asked "What's the biggest problem on Offense?".

To be fair, its not a topic to discuss in public at all, and particularly should include "It must change".    McD should not be publically criticizing Allen.  In reverse Allen criticizes himself plently, and never points out the head coaches many in game blunders, and never points out the problems resultign from the over investment in defense. (compare this to certain other Franchise QBs who pipe up all the time) Its reached the point where Allen needs to start calling out the coaching and GM blunders. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

To be fair, its not a topic to discuss in public at all, and particularly should include "It must change".    McD should not be publically criticizing Allen.  In reverse Allen criticizes himself plently, and never points out the head coaches many in game blunders, and never points out the problems resultign from the over investment in offense. (compare this to certain other Franchise QBs who pipe up all the time) Its reached the point where Allen needs to start calling out the coaching and GM blunders. 

Generally, I agree with you. Leaders should praise in public and punish in private. Generally.

But when it comes to established top-tier franchise QBs, it gets a little different sometimes. Since those guys are basically "management" (or depending on perspective, rank even higher than the coaches), sometimes HCs calling out the big dog inst always a bad thing.

Belichick and Arians did it to Brady, and got Super Bowls out of him.

Reid has done it to Mahomes.

And McD's call out wasnt a "We lost because of him" statement. It's more for Josh's own good.

But I get what you are saying.

However, Josh (nor any QB) should ever call out coaches/team mates/water boys/beer vendors/anyone. Take the brunt and move on.

To the bold, who is piping up all the time criticizing their team?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Generally, I agree with you. Leaders should praise in public and punish in private. Generally.

But when it comes to established top-tier franchise QBs, it gets a little different sometimes. Since those guys are basically "management" (or depending on perspective, rank even higher than the coaches), sometimes HCs calling out the big dog inst always a bad thing.

Belichick and Arians did it to Brady, and got Super Bowls out of him.

Reid has done it to Mahomes.

And McD's call out wasnt a "We lost because of him" statement. It's more for Josh's own good.

But I get what you are saying.

However, Josh (nor any QB) should ever call out coaches/team mates/water boys/beer vendors/anyone. Take the brunt and move on.

To the bold, who is piping up all the time criticizing their team?

A proper response to the question from McDermott would have been. "Josh's aggressive running style has won us games, that we might have lost because of my coaching blunders, but I still need to convince him his safety comes first."

Other than generic platitudes "it starts with me, blah blah blah" McDermott never acknowledges his direct mistakes.  Most often he portrays himself as perfect and blames "execution".   

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

A proper response to the question from McDermott would have been. "Josh's aggressive running style has won us games, that we might have lost because of my coaching blunders, but I still need to convince him his safety comes first."

Other than generic platitudes "it starts with me, blah blah blah" McDermott never acknowledges his direct mistakes.  Most often he portrays himself as perfect and blames "execution".   

I get your disapproval of his answer.

I'm still interested in which QB is calling out his team/coaches.

55 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Big time “Let’s see how Mahomes does without Hill” energy

Such a goofy argument. Surely putting our guy on their team would yield the same results. Sure it will. Recognizing Mahomes is the best right now is not a slight to Josh. There are things he does that Josh hasn’t shown to do consistently. 

Adding more weapons on this team won’t guarantee a championship unless Josh takes the next steps in development. He regressed this past season with his decision making if you’re judging him objectively. 

• Disagree 2

8 hours ago, dorquemada said:

man alive i'd love to get Judon in a Bills uni

Yeah, if they'd have only listened to me.

I did an All Small School Draft that year.

I got Javon Hargrave in the 2nd, Matt Judon in the 3rd and Tyler Higbee in the 4th.

When I did it, everyone said, "who?"  Multiple times.

Ofc, I drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st..but you never can be 100 % on these things.

The Bills drafted Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland and Adolphus Washington that year.

John Butler would have been proud.

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

We can play the what if game all day but if you polled fans, coaches, players around the league I bet Mahomes would get the nod as the best QB in the league. Mahomes does have the #2 OL while Allen's was #26 last year. Mahomes also has the better coach, and his defense also plays better in the playoffs. So, I do see your point. 

That's just football fandom.  People forget that it's a team game.

I hear it ALL the time on the internet this year.  "Well, clearly Mahomes is better than Allen - he has 2 Super Bowls."

This isn't tennis.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

That's just football fandom.  People forget that it's a team game.

I hear it ALL the time on the internet this year.  "Well, clearly Mahomes is better than Allen - he has 2 Super Bowls."

This isn't tennis.

Allen is probably the biggest MVP for his team in the NFL. He is an entire offense by himself. That said, in a very Favre like way, he will hurt you at times. Mahomes and Burrow are just better pure QB's as far as knowing exactly where the ball is going and delivering it to that spot quickly and accurately. I would even say Burrow is the best at that right now. Brady showed that skill is just hard to defeat. Even if you have a better arm and can run, the fastest processor wins.   

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Surely putting our guy on their team would yield the same results.

This is objectively wrong.  Teams are different.  Putting the same guy on another team would yield different results.  In some cases they may be similar, others more extreme.  Some better, some worse.  For example, would Mahomes on the Colts yield the same results as with KC?

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

This is objectively wrong.  Teams are different.  Putting the same guy on another team would yield different results.  In some cases they may be similar, others more extreme.  Some better, some worse.  For example, would Mahomes on the Colts yield the same results as with KC?

I believe we are in agreement here. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Airseven said:

A swap is too hypothetical (silly) to even consider. Mahomes simply executes on another level than Allen - his accuracy, consistency, creativity, reads, progressions, touch, and under pressure. 

Don't forget those 1 yard shovel passes that Kelce for 1yd and a TD.

That's the rub that mahomes is going to get, same as Brady always did.  He would complete simple short passes for big gains and/or TD's.

It wasn't "mahomes magic" or "Brady brilliance", it was a great offensive play design that resulted in a great play.

The reality is, they will always give the credit to the QB and maybe some to the coach.

Edited by The Wiz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.