What decade had better movies...80s or 90s?

BillsPride12

80s. Since 2000 movies suck!!!

pick a funny 70s film- caddy shack,the  jerk, animal house, blazing saddles etc so easy

80s planes trains automobiles, stir crazy, 16 candles, etc so easy

pick some funny films since 2000.  And no I don’t find will Ferrell funny 

Edited by Pete

Since no one seems to be arguing for the '90s, I'll remind everyone that this is the decade that gave us films such as "The Thin Red Line," "Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction," "Fight Club," "Saving Private Ryan," "The Silence of the Lambs," "12 Monkeys," "Schindler's List" (Top 5 all time film for me), "Goodfellas" (one of my all time favorites), and on and on...

It's also worth noting that the '90s gave us "The Fifth Element" which sure, is a terrible film, but my God, it never gets old watching a young Milla Jovovich (movie was filmed when she was TWENTY ONE) run around half naked for 2 hours.

There are great movies and lousy movies from pretty much ALL decades; it's a stupid debate.

02-embed-fifth-element.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, dpberr said:

The 1980s.  The decade had movies that defined whole new genres and created many successful actors.

Examples:

The "war" movie:  Full Metal Jacket, Platoon

The regular guy as action hero:  Die Hard

The buddy cop film:  Lethal Weapon

Woman as an action heroine:  Aliens

The sports film:  The Natural, Major League, Hoosiers

Action Comedy:  True Lies, Last Action Hero, and I personally find Stallone's Cobra one of the most hilarious action films of the decade.

New lines of comedy movies:  Space Balls, Naked Gun, Spies Like Us, Uncle Buck, Home Alone

Don't forget Red Dawn

For your reading pleasure and discussion...

The 100 Greatest Movies of the 1980s – Rolling Stone

The 100 Greatest Movies of the ’90s – Rolling Stone

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/29/2023 at 6:13 AM, BillsPride12 said:

There really is no right or wrong answer, but I think it makes a good discussion 

I have a hard time with decisions like these. Because while both contained epic iconic movies how much actual weight do you give films.

For me personally the 80's I remember most fondly are  The Little Mermaid and Who framed Roger Rabbit haha. But so many other great movies that year.

For the 90's the strength and amount of iconic movies if you were to just look at Disney Studios list 1990 is astounding. again my personal choices only would be Forrest Gump and Silence of the Lambs overall for the decade. its so subjective

90's FTW

OH! I totally forgot THE MATRIX came out in 1999. Total game changer. Nineties definitely now #KeanuReeves 💘

m

On 3/31/2023 at 6:36 PM, Pete said:

80s. Since 2000 movies suck!!!

pick a funny 70s film- caddy shack,the  jerk, animal house, blazing saddles etc so easy

80s planes trains automobiles, stir crazy, 16 candles, etc so easy

pick some funny films since 2000.  And no I don’t find will Ferrell funny 

From the 70's I would add One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. From the 2000's the 1st Hangover movie was pretty funny.

This is a great topic!

1980s for the win but its very close.

Not mentioned yet:

Airplane!

Naked Gun original

Blade Runner

Animal House

And 2 of my favorite movies Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction are from the 90s.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, qwksilver said:

This is a great topic!

1980s for the win but its very close.

Not mentioned yet:

Airplane!

Naked Gun original

Blade Runner

Animal House

And 2 of my favorite movies Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction are from the 90s.

Animal House doesn't count. That movie was from 1978.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, BillsPride12 said:

The 80s and 90s were the bread and butter of American Pop Culture in my opinion.

They were definitively solid, but so much of it comes down to age and perspective.  I'm partial to the 70's:  Shaft, The French Connection, The Sting, Jaws, Airport, Close Encounters, Star Wars (original), The Godfather I & II, The Exorcist, The Omen, Carrie, Dirty Harry, MASH, Network, Deliverance, Apocalypse Now, All The President's Men, Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Serpico...  Oh, the glory of it all!  That was a decade of great films.

For the 80's, throw Airplane, Raging Bull and Scarface onto the pile!

Edited by cwater10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

They were definitively solid, but so much of it comes down to age and perspective.  I'm partial to the 70's:  Shaft, The French Connection, The Sting, Jaws, Airport, Close Encounters, Star Wars (original), The Godfather I & II, The Exorcist, The Omen, Carrie, Dirty Harry, MASH, Network, Deliverance, Apocalypse Now, All The President's Men, Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Serpico...  Oh, the glory of it all!  That was a decade of great films.

For the 80's, throw Airplane, Raging Bull and Scarface onto the pile!

Yeah that's fair, I didn't get to live through that era but I've always said I would have loved to experience the 60s and 70s too

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.