ESPN latest mock has us getting a RB but not the one you think

PrimeTime101

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wouldn't. Not based off of things that have been said by Beane and McDermott or his contract. I think he will be used as a Returner (although it's possible he isn't as Harty was a 2019 First Team All Pro return man), but will also get some plays in between Cook and Harris.

And if we take a guy in the 1st, who's inactive on Game Days? We're not going to dress 4 RB's. Even when we had Taiwan and he dressed for ST, we only ever dressed 2 other actual RB's.

If we take Gibbs, Hines gets cut

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

After his restructure paying him millions in bonus money up front and the dead cap hits on his deal, he's pretty much locked in. Beane never restructures players and then cuts them. We also gave up a Draft pick to acquire him and he's only played a handful of games. RB in the 1st is out. Bet the farm.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

After his restructure paying him millions in bonus money up front and the dead cap hits on his deal, he's pretty much locked in. Beane never restructures players and then cuts them. We also gave up a Draft pick to acquire him and he's only played a handful of games. RB in the 1st is out. Bet the farm.

according to spotrac no dead cap hit for hines

image.thumb.png.17322443a11fbf4dc9a2a328452f9d44.png

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

2 things I think will happen. 

1. I think we shift to picking up a good RT.

2. I think in the draft we hope this guy drops and If not we go best ILB or best WR available. 

LB is not BPA at 27 and I really hope we don’t reach…

23 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Not sure he would get cut- maybe he would just be our return guy…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

I like the player dont like the spot…. I saw someone on here or on twitter suggest trade 
with Arizona that looks something like this:

#27 and 6th round pick to Arizona 

#34 and Hopkins to Buffalo

Buffalo picks Jamyr Gibbs and we have another weapon at WR in Hopkins. Scary offense. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We spent a 2nd Round Pick on James Cook just last year. He really started coming on strong down the stretch. We traded for Nyheim Hines a handful of months ago. Just signed Damien Harris to be the Thunder to their Lightning.

Our RB room is in real good shape this season. Maybe we take a late round flyer on a guy. But in no way, shape, or form are we drafting a RB in Round 1 with the holes we have to fill on this team and the RB's we have already.

It sure seems that way, but would you say no to Bijan if he’s there at 27? If Charbonnet is there in RD2, would you say no?

14 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Uh, no... please no.   A couple of picks later Addison goes.

I think I would rather have Addison...

I think Addison goes way before 27. This whole draft scenario is idiosyncratic and mocked by a fella who said Mac Jones was going to be in the MVP conversation last year (before the season, obviously). He ain't bright. If Addison is there, I think we take him and we should.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so Hines is not being used as a RB more Special teams and the contract changes shows that. Harris is a 1 year prove it deal that we have moved on from deals like this in the past.  Keeping these facts in mind, it would not be a s surprising as one thinks. 

They expect more out of Hines than  ST contributions.  They are paying him more than they ever paid Andre Roberts

Question: when has one of these media pundits EVER been right about our draft picks?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/35931704/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mike-tannenbaum-gm-first-round-picks-five-quarterbacks

Jahmyr Gibbs RB, Alabama  >>>>> Sigh

I just want to say the Buzz around Gibbs is getting real. While we are struggling to get a true #2 WR, some are feeling the next move for Beane is to get a true 3 down RB on this team. With an aging Diggs and still not around him, it makes sense to flip to a stronger running game with a back that has more raw talent then what we have.

I am no where near 100% behind this BUT.. If holds true that the run SHOULD open up for better passing then what are the other options? Lets just assume we are done looking for a true #2 WR for the sake of argument and figure out how we can make this team into more of a running machine where we run 40% and pass 60% ++.

Well lets look deeper into what we need to pull this switch off. Just for giggles, yes? :D

1. Short up the left side of the line. Check.

2. A solid TE. Check.

3. A RT to compete better? Hmm?

4. a PROVEN high end trusted RB out of the draft?

This does not seem so hard does it? 

Why McD would want to make such quick changes? That is easy... He is now calling the shots on defense, and we have a OC 1 year on that McD feels he trusts that is likely saying... "If you cant get me a true #2 WR on this team then we need to change!!!" Also, it has been well documented on these boards that Beane has been chasing a RB for years that can fit this type of bill. 

Though I do not necessarily like this direction, at this point it may be the easier direction to go in. For how long have we said everything we do is JA and nothing else?

This will get instant eyerolls, pukes and disagreements but I get it.. 

How many times on these boards have said... we need our Thurman Thomas? 

I don’t think Gibbs is that dude to be honest. His vision is borderline horrible. There will be plenty of guys in the later rds that can be better then him Sean Tucker, Keaton Mitchell, Achane this draft is loaded at the Scat bk position. I believe we need a great back for the future of this team and I realize the benefits of having one but I’ll pass on Gibbs at #27. 

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

It sure seems that way, but would you say no to Bijan if he’s there at 27? If Charbonnet is there in RD2, would you say no?

Yes and yes. For one, McDermott has only ever dressed 3 RB's on Game Day. 2 RB's and 1 RB/ST. So one between the Rookie, Cook, and Harris wouldn't dress unless there was an injury. Take a guy late round, sure. But a 4th RB when the team has holes (MLB & TE2), has positions that need upgrading (WR & OL), and more expensive positions (like DT) that will have multiple FA's after this year? No way.

We just paid 4 million cash in a restructure to Hines (who we also spent a 5th round pick on less than 6 months ago) and he has a 2 million dead cap hit. We're not cutting him. We spent a 2nd Round pick on Cook less than a year ago. Now we're going to spend another 1st or 2nd on another RB? And we just signed Damien Harris less than a week ago to be their Thunder.

If you need to replace Harris after this season or Cook doesn't continue to ascend, then you Draft a RB in 2024. But a 1 or a 2 on a RB in 2023 is MADNESS.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

according to spotrac no dead cap hit for hines

image.thumb.png.17322443a11fbf4dc9a2a328452f9d44.png

I don’t think Spotrac has the publicly reported details of his new contract quite right yet. He’s got $2M guaranteed, $1M salary $1M signing bonus split between this year and next.  The salary is NBD if he’s cut provided someone picks him up, provided he has offset language in his contract because it’s less than league minimum for his years (which, we don’t know, he might have negotiated for no offset language)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.