NFL Network layoffs begin, ESPN layoffs expected

dpberr

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All (or at leat most) of the companies you hear of making huge cuts lately all did the opposite during COVID and WAAAYYYYY over-hired. Just absolutely packed their rosters. To the point there were thousands of employees with not a lot to do.

This happened for a couple of reasons:

1. Companies were hiring hard and fast to get those PPP loans based on number of employees and payrolls.

2. Entertainment and Tech companies saw a huge boom during COVID when everyone was at home. 2020 was one of the best years for revenue the multi-Billion dollar company I work for has ever had. And then 2021 beat it even further.

But now, the other shoe has dropped. Those companies that benefited from the COVID lifestyles are having tough times. Folks arent home all day and night so arent using their services as much. We barely made our 2022 numbers (we actually didn't but leadership re-adjusted so it wouldnt be a complete failure).

And with those tough times, all the folks that got over-hired are now being let go. But there are still a lot of people employed.

Look at Salesforce. They had 35,000 employees in 2019. At the start of 2023, they had 79,390 employees. They MORE THAN DOUBLED during the COVID rush. And now are whittling back down to ~60,000. Which is still a ton more than before.

So you hear "Salesforce laying off 10% of staff". And that sounds like a lot, and to the people affected that is a big deal. But That just means they are down from 79,000 to 71,000. And still double than where they started. Not all as bad as the headlines would lead you to believe.

That is quite an interesting post.  My question is what the hell does Salesforce do that they need almost 80,000 employees?  Thats the size of a medium town.  

16 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is quite an interesting post.  My question is what the hell does Salesforce do that they need almost 80,000 employees?  Thats the size of a medium town.  

Soooooo many companies use salesforce. It’s an incredible tool. My company has a dedicated salesforce team whose

only job is to make sure everything in our data is tracking properly

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Cut cable some years back.  I occasionally see ESPN and I never feel smarter or more informed for having watched it.   Sure, I get nuggets about who Tweeted what and who reacted and who's overrated and who said the wrong thing and should be cancelled, but it's not useful.  Often, it's just loud bombast.  The world of streaming and podcasts has made ESPN unneeded.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2023 at 4:08 AM, thenorthremembers said:

ESPN, Amazon, Disney, Google, NFL Network, not unlike any other company in America right now.   My company is laying off 5% of its workforce at the end of April.  Hoping I still have a job in a month.

Brought to you by the strong economy.

Strong economy for some, not so much for others, thanks to:

23 hours ago, Malazan said:

..and yet the executives who made all the bad decisions solider on..

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Disney made 28 billion in yearly profit in 2022.  Yet, they are far from alone in big corporations making billions in profits yet are laying off employees. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Disney made 28 billion in yearly profit in 2022.  Yet, they are far from alone in big corporations making billions in profits yet are laying off employees.  

Make billions, yet what more, the American Way!!!

Not defending or accusing Disney at all here, just pointing out that Disney had $3.2B in net income from $82.7B in revenue in their 2022 fiscal year.  

20 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Make billions, yet what more, the American Way!!!

It's a business.  Not a charity.  If they can make more profits by cutting dead weight they will. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.