NFL Network layoffs begin, ESPN layoffs expected

dpberr

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

NFLN is letting people go? Can I make a suggestion?

Kyle Brandt.

I get it, he can be a bit try-hard and overly excitable at times, but thats part of his job too unfortunately.  he seems a lot more chill when hes off the show and doesnt have to amp up his persona to a 10.  the fact he has to do that speaks to the intelligence of viewers the network caters too more than it does on him IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

ESPN, Amazon, Disney, Google, NFL Network, not unlike any other company in America right now.   My company is laying off 5% of its workforce at the end of April.  Hoping I still have a job in a month.

Brought to you by the strong economy.

I am sorry to hear that, layoffs happen in all sorts of economic situations thanks to automation. My dad back in 2005 when the US economy was doing well (by traditional metrics like GDP and the stock market) worked for a company that laid off 15% of its workforce because the new machines they bought made it easier to do more work with fewer people. A lot of these tech giants and other companies are cutting staff just due to automation regardless of how the economy is doing or not doing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

ESPN, Amazon, Disney, Google, NFL Network, not unlike any other company in America right now.   My company is laying off 5% of its workforce at the end of April.  Hoping I still have a job in a month.

33 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am sorry to hear that, layoffs happen in all sorts of economic situations thanks to automation. My dad back in 2005 when the US economy was doing well (by traditional metrics like GDP and the stock market) worked for a company that laid off 15% of its workforce because the new machines they bought made it easier to do more work with fewer people. A lot of these tech giants and other companies are cutting staff just due to automation regardless of how the economy is doing or not doing. 

All (or at leat most) of the companies you hear of making huge cuts lately all did the opposite during COVID and WAAAYYYYY over-hired. Just absolutely packed their rosters. To the point there were thousands of employees with not a lot to do.

This happened for a couple of reasons:

1. Companies were hiring hard and fast to get those PPP loans based on number of employees and payrolls.

2. Entertainment and Tech companies saw a huge boom during COVID when everyone was at home. 2020 was one of the best years for revenue the multi-Billion dollar company I work for has ever had. And then 2021 beat it even further.

But now, the other shoe has dropped. Those companies that benefited from the COVID lifestyles are having tough times. Folks arent home all day and night so arent using their services as much. We barely made our 2022 numbers (we actually didn't but leadership re-adjusted so it wouldnt be a complete failure).

And with those tough times, all the folks that got over-hired are now being let go. But there are still a lot of people employed.

Look at Salesforce. They had 35,000 employees in 2019. At the start of 2023, they had 79,390 employees. They MORE THAN DOUBLED during the COVID rush. And now are whittling back down to ~60,000. Which is still a ton more than before.

So you hear "Salesforce laying off 10% of staff". And that sounds like a lot, and to the people affected that is a big deal. But That just means they are down from 79,000 to 71,000. And still double than where they started. Not all as bad as the headlines would lead you to believe.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I used to love watching good morning football but that new girl is unbearable. No football knowledge and always interrupts with useless interjections. Kyle Brandt, Peter Schrager, and Devin McCourty should just host without anyone else honestly. Maybe bring in a new guest each week to fill the fourth slot or hire Mike Golic to host lol

I think she's a nice person and all but I find her unbearable - trying so so hard to be so enthusiastic and so fun it's just exhausting.  At first I gave her a pass figuring she was just trying to find her way and initially show enthusiasm - but it just kept amping up.  Interesting that reports are that Bonnetta could have had the gig but she didn't want to move to NY.

McCourty has never grown on me either - when someone like Sean O'Hara fills in for him the show is like a breath of fresh air to me.  There were so many better guest panelists in that chair after Nate left they could have gone with.

So many people dislike Brandt and Shrager but they are the only thing left of the good show it used to be.

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Einstein said:

It's helpful to look at it like you're watching a movie. He is playing a character. People don't always like the villain in the movie but they are necessary for the plot.

Stephen A. Smith is not Darth Vader or Hans Gruber, those are cool villains.

Smith is more like Cruella DeVille.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I think she's a nice person and all but I find her unbearable - trying so so hard to be so enthusuastic and so fun it's just exhausting.  At first I gave her a pass figuring she was just trying to find her way and initially show enthusiasm - but it just kept amping up.  Interesting that reports are that Bonnetta could have had the gig but she didn't want to move to NY.

McCourty has never grown on me either - when someone like Sean O'Hara fills in for him the show is like a breath of fresh air to me.  There were so many better guest panelists in that chair after Nate left they could have gone with.

So many people dislike Brandt and Shrager but they are the only thing left of the good show it used to be.

They miss Nate Burleson as let's face it, he was smooth and also knowledgeable and truly gave a player's prospective of things. 

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Kay flirting with Gronk just needs to stop. 

It always seemed to me Kay had a thing for O'Hara when he guested on GMFB

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They miss Nate Burleson as let's face it, he was smooth and also knowledgeable and truly gave a player's prospective of things. 

Yes Nate is in another league - but there were so many better options than McCourty who guested during that period (IMO).  Emmanuel Sanders has that same smooth vibe w/ player's perspective for one. 

I guess we also don't know who was offered and didn't accept (similar to alleged Bonnetta situation).  Coleen Wolfe would have been my runaway #1 for host but who knows if she even wanted it

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

But that what the majority want. The NFL ripping fans off, high prices, poor product quality. Again we need to support the big elite brands. The generations currently this is a big deal ESPN, Disney oh my. ESPN didn’t exist when until I was 11 years old and Disney was on 7 o’clock on Sunday that is it. My generation proud of because we were more open to competition and new experiences and things then today that absolutely want to get ripped off. Today’s generation I got go give ESPN, Disney and the NFL all my money to be entertained it’s weird to my generation. Look at the people that watch what I call off Broadway sports Buffalo Bandits, Buffalo Bisons, the local college sports it’s a lot of old people like myself and fans that are more open to new experiences with more individuality to them than group think that is owned by television and the cellphones.

Today I got to follow the group think NFL, ESPN and Disney with shopping on Amazon today’s young people know no other way. If ESPN shutdown there will be others that takeover just like the NFL. St Louis and San Diego are doing just fine without the NFL. The Buffalo Bills play for a silver football trophy it’s really nothing different than a Bonnies NIT championship or a Bisons Governor Cup championship or a UB football bowl game championships or a Bandits Championship you win you celebrate and enjoy the experience. Sure the Bills Super Bowl more will be into it but it’s the same silver bowl, cup or trophy. I think some Buffalo fans are going to be disappointed when it isn’t this awakening for Buffalo in the eyes of the rest of America. I wonder sometimes if the worst thing that could happen is if Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres won and Buffalo fans thought that was great but why am I paying all that money for that my life really didn’t change and it’s a ripoff that old BSF was right the cheaper sports are basically the same concept play for a silver cup or bowl enjoy the experience of winning but that is all it is and it’s not worth PSL’s handing all your hard earned money away to the NFL and ESPN. I know go to bed BSF in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.