Beane - mentioned 3rd comp pick

First Round Bust

Today, as part of the owner meetings in Pho Ariz, Beane ahd a Q&A session with the media replayed just after 5 PM today on WGR radio...he was specifically asked about the thrid round comp pick potentially coming back next season in return for Edmunds big contract elsewhere...he replied that it does matter and that after the "large" Harty FA signing all of the FA adds have been under 2M including todays safety from the Rams....then he directly answered the question about the open Mike position with the usual in-house candidates...we like Dodson , Spector is staying and training in Buffalo, Bernard backed-up Milano last season...will get a look.

So expect to fill that position with a cut candidate, trade, or another draft (early ?) to keep that 3rd rounder 2024 draft...oh and think about how they used 18M (edmunds) on several roster adds...pretty much every position but MLB.

That being the case, maybe Milano or Hyde or Poyer call the D signals next season instead of the effing new guy (Mike) ???

Edited by First Round Bust
sp
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

McD said Edmunds replacement is already "in house". Whoever that is, I have no clue. 

Oh boy. Hopefully this isn’t going to be as bad as we all anticipate…

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Probably smokescreen. 

We all can only hope…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

McD said Edmunds replacement is already "in house". Whoever that is, I have no clue. 

Technically, that might include you as I see it! We are as good as in-house as you get! 

It’s not like Beane to go into a draft NEEDING something. This feels odd, because I don’t know who on the roster can fill that position. I don’t know what to expect. 

• Agree 2

I like the idea of getting that 3rd Round Comp pick. But I also feel like he shouldn't lose out on players that will help this team now because of it.

If he wants OBJ and OBJ wants to sign, I want them to do it. If he likes Calais Campbell and his fit on the Line, I don't want him to not do it because of a Draft Pick in 2024.

Hopefully some schmuck signs Rodger Saffold to a 2 million plus contract soon so that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Just now, First Round Bust said:

Beane also mentioned no other FA visits are planned, other than Rapp coming to get his physical and contract signed after his Hawaii vacation, so unless Campbell has already visited cross him off the list..

Beane already said he wasn't scheduled for a visit...

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I like the idea of getting that 3rd Round Comp pick. But I also feel like he shouldn't lose out on players that will help this team now because of it.

If DeAndre Hopkins gets traded to a competitor, then I want him to sign OBJ. If he likes Calais Campbell and his fit on the Line, I don't want him to not do it because of a Draft Pick in 2024.

Hopefully some schmuck signs Rodger Saffold to a 2 million plus contract soon so that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Campbell doesn't count towards the comp pick formula because he was cut by his previous team.  I'm also not sure if OBJ counts since he wasn't signed in 2022.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

Today, as part of the owner meetings in Pho Ariz, Beane ahd a Q&A session with the media replayed just after 5 PM today on WGR radio...he was specifically asked about the thrid round comp pick potentially coming back next season in return for Edmunds big contract elsewhere...he replied that it does matter and that after the "large" Harty FA signing all of the FA adds have been under 2M including todays safety from the Rams....then he directly answered the question about the open Mike position with the usual in-house candidates...we like Dodson , Spector is staying and training in Buffalo, Bernard backed-up Milano last season...will get a look.

So expect to fill that position with a cut candidate, trade, or another draft (early ?) to keep that 3rd rounder 2024 draft...oh and think about how they used 18M (edmunds) on several roster adds...pretty much every position but MLB.

That being the case, maybe Milano or Hyde or Poyer call the D signals next season instead of the effing new guy (Mike) ???

Because we don't need a top 5 defense, merely one that is near the middle of the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

The alternative is saying "we don't have one and will look to the draft."

I get that.

Maybe there was just an expectation of something along the lines of: “We will look at all possible scenarios and options to fill any positional we feel can be filled, upgraded or improved upon…”. 

Saying it’s already in house is obviously very specific. 

Edited by BBFL

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

I get that.

Maybe there was just an expectation of something along the lines of: “We will look at all possible scenarios and options to fill any positional we feel can be upgraded or improved upon…”. 

Saying it’s already in house is obviously very specific. 

I guess we'll find out come draft time.  But I'd rather he lie and say they have someone in-house because it isn't set in stone.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.