If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?

Chaos

If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?

• Jack Campbell, LB
    • Darnell Wright, OT

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Prospects who dramatically shoot up the rankings like this at this stage of the process, well after game tape has been digested ad nauseam, that’s a red flag to me.

The perception that players are moving up is only occasionally the reality.

I think it was Sports Illustrated that had Jason Peters mocked as a late 1st round pick in their magazine mock that year after he had a seemingly huge "draft process".

He went undrafted.

Obviously the more recent Tariq Woolen example in last draft.   

Those are the memorable examples because they played well when they got in the league.

Tons of less interesting examples of guys who "fell" despite media helium that never amounted to anything.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think the Will Anderson comment that Wright is the best he has played against had a big impact.  

A big impact on who?

Wright is not some obscure talent he was a 5 star recruit that NFL scouts have been following since he stepped on campus.     Which included an ugly run at LT.  They've seen his tape at length.   I sincerely doubt there has been much, if ANY, change of opinion on him for the positive from NFL teams since after the season.   

• Agree 2

To @BADOLBILZ's point players very, very rarely move significantly up team draft boards after the initial board is set in Jan/Feb. 

Small moves happen - bump a grade up a point or two, bump one down a grade or two with re-checks and player meetings etc. 

But big changes are rare. And when they happen it is almost exclusively with small school guys who are barely on the radar and then flash at the All-Star games and/or the Combine forcing teams back to the tape on them. 

The idea that guys like Campbell and Wright who have started multiple years in the two biggest conferences in college football and have been recognised as "all-conference" players are somehow shooting up boards at this stage is for the birds. 

What I should add though is there are occassions when a guy is called a "riser" by the draft media but really it is just them catching up to teams. Greg Newsome was an example of that a couple of years ago. At the start of the process the mockers and the board builders almost all had him as a late 2nd / early 3rd. He "shot up" late into first round contention because media guys talk to teams and teams were saying "he is gonna go day 1." But that had alwys been the case. To an extent Travon Walker last year was another example. When the process begun the draft media was lower on him than teams. He ended up the #1 overall pick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, whorlnut said:

Why’s that?  We still haven’t seen what bernard can do with a full off-season and he was a third round pick like brown. We can still “hope” can’t we?

Are you planning to play him at SS? Then maybe.

He has the build of a high schooler and didn't exactly light it up in college. Even his highlights are a ton of busted plays. Seems like a career special teamer to me unless he can put on 20lbs of lean muscle and maintain or improve his speed. I don't even think he's backup caliber. Based on his 110 snaps where our starting MLB missed time, I think McD agrees.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:43 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

A big impact on who?

Wright is not some obscure talent he was a 5 star recruit that NFL scouts have been following since he stepped on campus.     Which included an ugly run at LT.  They've seen his tape at length.   I sincerely doubt there has been much, if ANY, change of opinion on him for the positive from NFL teams since after the season.   

Your  comment is ignorant.  Anderson said Wright was the best player he played against and Wright shot up on draft boards across the internet in a couple of days after. Anderson’s comment did not have a thing to do with Anderson. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:43 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

A big impact on who?

Zero change 

the only thing that changes is pundits get ahold of regional scouts boards which drastically change the pundits take

because no real regional scout publishes his top 50 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

this is where I have our top picks ranked until I change this a few minutes later

Jaxon Smith-Njigba   WR    Ohio State    
Paris Johnson Jr.   T       Ohio State
Broderick Jones   T        Georgia
Quentin Johnston   WR    TCU
Darnell Wright     RT     Tennessee
Jordan Addison   WR     USC
Zay Flowers    WR   Boston College 
Bijan Robinson   RB  Texas
Jack Campbell  LB   Iowa

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

this is where I have our top picks ranked until I change this a few minutes later

Jack Campbell  LB   Iowa

Great list.  

but I’d add Kincaid in the middle somewhere 

Edited by NewEra

On 4/5/2023 at 11:37 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The perception that players are moving up is only occasionally the reality.

I think it was Sports Illustrated that had Jason Peters mocked as a late 1st round pick in their magazine mock that year after he had a seemingly huge "draft process".

He went undrafted.

Obviously the more recent Tariq Woolen example in last draft.   

Those are the memorable examples because they played well when they got in the league.

Tons of less interesting examples of guys who "fell" despite media helium that never amounted to anything.

Last year I wanted to move Edmunds and had Detroit as my target. I would have stood pat and taken Zion Johnson G,  Christian Harris LB then Cam Taylor Britt and Tariq Woolen.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

To @BADOLBILZ's point players very, very rarely move significantly up team draft boards after the initial board is set in Jan/Feb. 

Small moves happen - bump a grade up a point or two, bump one down a grade or two with re-checks and player meetings etc. 

But big changes are rare. And when they happen it is almost exclusively with small school guys who are barely on the radar and then flash at the All-Star games and/or the Combine forcing teams back to the tape on them. 

The idea that guys like Campbell and Wright who have started multiple years in the two biggest conferences in college football and have been recognised as "all-conference" players are somehow shooting up boards at this stage is for the birds. 

What I should add though is there are occassions when a guy is called a "riser" by the draft media but really it is just them catching up to teams. Greg Newsome was an example of that a couple of years ago. At the start of the process the mockers and the board builders almost all had him as a late 2nd / early 3rd. He "shot up" late into first round contention because media guys talk to teams and teams were saying "he is gonna go day 1." But that had alwys been the case. To an extent Travon Walker last year was another example. When the process begun the draft media was lower on him than teams. He ended up the #1 overall pick.

I basically agree with what you say about players not making significant moves up and down teams draft boards. 

But we (fans) typically know very little about any teams true draft boards. And they may differ significantly. Most of what we know about teams draft boards is a synthesis of information (and misinformation) that’s been leaked to guys with good contacts , such as Mel Kiper. 

Thus, invariably, we will see a guy with “consensus” 3rd round grade picked in the 1st round. While another 1st round guy will drift into the 3rd round. 

TLDR. I agree that players don’t make big moves up or down draft boards. But each teams board is different, and we don’t know their boards. 

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

I basically agree with what you say about players not making significant moves up and down teams draft boards. 

But we (fans) typically know very little about any teams true draft boards. And they may differ significantly. Most of what we know about teams draft boards is a synthesis of information (and misinformation) that’s been leaked to guys with good contacts , such as Mel Kiper. 

Thus, invariably, we will see a guy with “consensus” 3rd round grade picked in the 1st round. While another 1st round guy will drift into the 3rd round. 

TLDR. I agree that players don’t make big moves up or down draft boards. But each teams board is different, and we don’t know their boards. 

Of course. And in a year like this one there will be significant differences between boards. I have talked before about everything that goes into making boards up and the difference between some teams who have c.200 players on a board and others who have roughly half that. 

11 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Jack Campbell  LB   Iowa

A good list, but I don’t think Robinson, JSN or Johnson will be available. I don’t like Addison or Flowers since they duplicate players we already have. I don’t know much about Johnston, but hear that he’s a bit raw. We want someone to contribute next year. 

That’s why I’m leaning to Campbell. I thin that he’ll be available, he’s athletiic, and was very productive in college. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.