If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?

Chaos

If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. If final decision came down to Jack Campbell or Darnell Wright who would you select at at 27?

• Jack Campbell, LB
    • Darnell Wright, OT

3 minutes ago, Process said:

If they pass on a good OT prospect to reach for a freakin linebacker I'll puke.

I wouldn't be surprised, I think Beane is ready to run it back with Brown. But hopefully he surprises us. 

i would rather take Wright.  But I think if they take an LB, Beregon could be drafted at 59, or easily drafted with a modest tradeup, and I think Beregon maybe just as good of a prospect.  Pass on LB with the first pick, and you are not likely getting a starting LB in this draft. So I could undertand an LB pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

i would rather take Wright.  But I think if they take an LB, Beregon could be drafted at 59, or easily drafted with a modest tradeup, and I think Beregon maybe just as good of a prospect.  Pass on LB with the first pick, and you are not likely getting a starting LB in this draft. So I could undertand an LB pick. 

Agreed.  The depth of mlb in this class is the only reason I’d consider Campbell over wright.  I just don’t think that’s the right way to draft unless we were to trade down. Like we did with cook last year.  

If we want a LB with our first pick, make the most of it and trade down even if we only get a 4th rd pick- I just feel like he’s a huge reach @ 27.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t believe the results sit at 63 to 48 in favor of Wright. 

those voting for Campbell, you should be ashamed of yourselves.  

Agreed.  If there are top tier RT’s there and we go LB… that would seriously destroy my faith in this FO.   My faith is shaken, but still there.. that would wreck it.  

Improved OL play, with Allen, makes this offense unstoppable. 

A good MLB does what? … oh, right, we’ve seen the answer to that multiple years in a row. 

• Agree 4

I'm tired of hearing about Jack Campbell. Great sounding football name with appealing assonance. Sounds a little like Jack Lambert.  Could be a character out of a Dean Koontz novel. 

I think some of you just like saying 'Jack Campbell'.  

But is he really going to move us forward or are we just treading water by replacing Edmunds with a player who won't be as good as Edmunds (and I'm not a fan of # 49).   If Campbell is around in the 2nd, I might be ok with that.

I'm hoping the early picks will be players that can make an immediate impact, preferably on offense. Someone who can help Josh keep drives going.

Let the clock and time of possession be the best asset to improving the defense. Keep the Bills' D fresh. Put opposing offenses in more predictable desperation 'catch-up' mode.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I'm tired of hearing about Jack Campbell. Great sounding football name with appealing assonance. Sounds a little like Jack Lambert.  Could be a character out of a Dean Koontz novel. 

I think some of you just like saying 'Jack Campbell'.  

But is he really going to move us forward or are we just treading water by replacing Edmunds with a player who won't be as good as Edmunds (and I'm not a fan of # 49).   If Campbell is around in the 2nd, I might be ok with that.

I'm hoping the early picks will be players that can make an immediate impact, preferably on offense. Someone who can help Josh keep drives going.

Let the clock and time of possession be the best asset to improving the defense. Keep the Bills' D fresh. Put opposing offenses in more predictable desperation 'catch-up' mode.

The way I am looking at it is basically we are running it back on D. The only position that hasn't really been addressed yet or our biggest offseason loss is MLB. So that imo is the biggest hole to fill at this point. Is Campbell the answer? No idea, but is one of the better options. 

IMO, On O, we have already improved at G (McGovern and Edwards), RB (Harrison) and wr (Harty and Sherfield). Still room to improve though and I think there are more options available in the draft for O positions than there is MLB.

The issue I see right now is, we don't have a MLB even close to what we had in Edmunds. We need someone there that can potentially fill that void. Even treading water as you say is better than taking a step back.

As to TOP and Catchup mode, TOP didn't do well in Miami and if you don't have a good D, catchup mode won't exist. It will be shootouts and I don't like those odds against the QB'S and WR we face in the afc.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

Same websites only have 3 LBS graded as a top 100 pic You pick, campbell , Simpson, or Sanders, or you pick a guy most people never expect to be an NFL starter. Thats the dilmemma. 

Or you find a way to address the MLB position before the draft, so it's not a desperate need that must be filled.

The Bills cannot afford another below average draft, if they want to keep their status as a potential Super Bowl team.  They are already lagging behind the Chiefs/Bengals, and have the Dolphins/Jets on their heels in the AFC East. 

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

The way I am looking at it is basically we are running it back on D. The only position that hasn't really been addressed yet or our biggest offseason loss is MLB. So that imo is the biggest hole to fill at this point. Is Campbell the answer? No idea, but is one of the better options. 

IMO, On O, we have already improved at G (McGovern and Edwards), RB (Harrison) and wr (Harty and Sherfield). Still room to improve though and I think there are more options available in the draft for O positions than there is MLB.

The issue I see right now is, we don't have a MLB even close to what we had in Edmunds. We need someone there that can potentially fill that void. Even treading water as you say is better than taking a step back.

As to TOP and Catchup mode, TOP didn't do well in Miami and if you don't have a good D, catchup mode won't exist. It will be shootouts and I don't like those odds against the QB'S and WR we face in the afc.

Why?  Why do we need to do this?

Teams do have weak spots.  Why should our potential weak spots be at WR2 and RT because we need to draft a LB?.. one of the more inconsequential positions on a team.  

Worst case scenario, some vet LB's will likely shake free during camp cuts.  Having one of the better MLB's in the league didn't help us one iota in elimination games the past few years, but heaven forbid we don't heavily invest their once again. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why?  Why do we need to do this?

Teams do have weak spots.  Why should our potential weak spots be at WR2 and RT because we need to draft a LB?.. one of the more inconsequential positions on a team.  

Worst case scenario, some vet LB's will likely shake free during camp cuts.  Having one of the better MLB's in the league didn't help us one iota in elimination games the past few years, but heaven forbid we don't heavily invest their once again. 

Because as it sits now Brown is our starting RT. Whether people agree or not, it is what it is. If we draft another one great, but doesn't have to be a 1st rnd pick as Brown is already in place. We added 2 wr's already in FA and still have Davis. IMO, there are plenty of wr's in the draft that could fill a wr2 spot. Again, if we draft one great but doesn't have to be a 1st either. So no "Holes" at wr or RT. As it sits now, it's not a weak spot at LB, It's a HOLE and it's right in the middle of our D.

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

Because as it sits now Brown is our starting RT. Whether people agree or not, it is what it is. If we draft another one great, but doesn't have to be a 1st rnd pick as Brown is already in place. We added 2 wr's already in FA and still have Davis. IMO, there are plenty of wr's in the draft that could fill a wr2 spot. Again, if we draft one great but doesn't have to be a 1st either. So no "Holes" at wr or RT. As it sits now, it's not a weak spot at LB, It's a HOLE and it's right in the middle of our D.

Why is it a hole?  We drafted two linebackers last year, one of them on Day 2... in the same round we drafted our RT, who has a ton of potential, but was one of the worst RT's in the NFL last year.  

On 3/27/2023 at 6:55 PM, BullBuchanan said:

I think it "has to be" because of what the fallback option is. We can still hope Spencer Brown becomes capable and if not we know what Quessenberry is. Dodson or Bernard int he middle and this team is DOA.

Why’s that?  We still haven’t seen what bernard can do with a full off-season and he was a third round pick like brown. We can still “hope” can’t we?

23 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Can someone point me to a single draft coverage website that has Jack Campbell as a 1st Round pick?  

I've looked through the Big Boards for NFL.com, ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, Draftwire, PFF, Pro Football Network, the Draft Network, DraftTek and Tankathon.  Not to mention numerous YouTube channels that I've been following for years.  The earliest I've seen him ranked is early 40s.  Most have him as a mid/late 2nd Round selection.

All the hype around this guy is due to the monster hole we have at MLB, and the weak Linebacker class leaving us without many other options.  It is a terrible draft strategy to select a guy 15-20 picks too early with that valuable 1st Round selection, because you are scared of being left empty-handed.  If this is the thinking, I would rather Brandon Beane sign someone like Zach Cunningham, Corey Littleton, Deion Jones... or start making phone calls for a Day 3 pick.

The CBS/NFL article by Chris Trapasso has Jack Campbell going #27 to the Bills.  His write up is "It came down to Campbell or Zay Flowers here for the Bills but Buffalo likes the depth at receiver more than linebacker on Day2"

You, along with the GMs, and draftniks, have no idea if a guy is selected 15-20 picks too early.  You call it a reach because you didn't think he should be selected there, and thought (with no assurance whatsoever) that he could have been picked 15 spots later.

This "monster hole" was by design by the FO when they let the $18M man leave.  Looks like they can get their choice of one of the top 2 mlb's and someone (IMO) slightly better, at a fifth of the cost, for 4-5 years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

Not to mention picking where we are....nothing is a "reach"...and a 1st rd. player has to play so the minute they draft Wright, they are removing Brown.

Hell Bates could play RT most likely better than a rookie. Just not a move I would make. We do need an OT and C/G, but not with the 1st of 6 picks.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Today PFF updated its its big board rankings. Darnell Wright went from #70 to #20. 

Prospects who dramatically shoot up the rankings like this at this stage of the process, well after game tape has been digested ad nauseam, that’s a red flag to me.

10 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Prospects who dramatically shoot up the rankings like this at this stage of the process, well after game tape has been digested ad nauseam, that’s a red flag to me.

I think the Will Anderson comment that Wright is the best he has played against had a big impact.  Some other notable changes. Jordan Addision dropped to 30. Trent Simpson dropped from 66 to 78. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.