McDermott hammers point about Allen running less and sliding. Says it MUST change next year...

Big Turk

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

like “oh I’ve missed 3 throws and nothing else is going smooth and I’m going to go hit a guy in the open field” as opposed to calculated “it’s 3rd and 5 and I need to get to the sticks”

I don't think that's how even Allen thinks.

There might be some thinking like "gotta make a play, gotta make a play, Diggs doubled, don't like that shot to Knox, Dirty might get 4 yds, there's a hole goGoGO!"

Then once he's going, he doesn't think "got the 1st SLIDE" he thinks "gotta get the most yards that I can"

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

amateur psychoanalysis notwithstanding this is simply not how NFL QBs think

yea, guys never play more calculated vs more emotional. Totally fabricated and crazy. 

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think that's how even Allen thinks.

There might be some thinking like "gotta make a play, gotta make a play, Diggs doubled, don't like that shot to Knox, Dirty might get 4 yds, there's a hole goGoGO!"

Then once he's going, he doesn't think "got the 1st SLIDE" he thinks "gotta get the most yards that I can"

counter: I think you can absolutely tell when he’s starting to play on tilt and is about to uncork an incredibly aggressive throw or run over a guy versus when he’s cool, calculated and methodically attacking 

They have obviously been trying to coach it out of him and I could see Josh tried.  To me it made Josh worse.  He was indecisive about running a lot of times and it cost yards and first downs and also got him hit ironically.  Maybe he wont run so much if he had better protection and better receivers.  Running is part of Josh's game.  Its never going to be coached out of him.  He will do whatever it takes to win. Thats his mindset and what I love about him.

Edited by Scott7975

8 hours ago, Figster said:

Its not about changing Allens competitive spirit. Its about giving Allen a game plan and play calling  more focused on getting the ball out of Allens fast so he's not having to take off running. Josh Allen has one of the best throwing arms the NFL has eveer seen. Some longevity in the league and for the Bills would be good for everyone. I'm not saying don't run when your in the 4th quarter and the games on the line. Or in playoff games.  I'm saying don't utilize Allen running the football as part of the game plan. 

The more I see Josh running this coming up season. The more I think its time for a new OC... 

As I have said 3 times now in this thread I think you can help by reducing volume but this is not just about volume. It is as much about Josh protecting himself when he does run. And he is always going to because we know he calls his own number and we know he will do whatever it takes. Even if Josh were to only average 1 run a game in 2023 he has to get down or get out when he runs.... and I am not sure that will ever be him. He is always going to fight for every inch whether that means hurdling, stiff arming, diving.... it is just who he is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As I have said 3 times now in this thread I think you can help by reducing volume but this is not just about volume. It is as much about Josh protecting himself when he does run. And he is always going to because we know he calls his own number and we know he will do whatever it takes. Even if Josh were to only average 1 run a game in 2023 he has to get down or get out when he runs.... and I am not sure that will ever be him. He is always going to fight for every inch whether that means hurdling, stiff arming, diving.... it is just who he is.

My hope is there can be a meeting of the minds somewhere in the middle. 

Edited by Figster

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

They have obviously been trying to coach it out of him and I could see Josh tried.  To me it made Josh worse.  He was indecisive about running a lot of times and it cost yards and first downs and also got him hit ironically.  Maybe he wont run so much if he had better protection and better receivers.  Running is part of Josh's game.  Its never going to be coached out of him.  He will do whatever it takes to win. Thats his mindset and what I love about him.

I think there will always be a small amount of reckless in Josh's game. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. But the propensity of hits must decline.  The OL & WR play must improve. And the checkdowns must not be ignored. 

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

And how did Josh get hurt this year, by throwing the ball in the Pocket versus the Jets.

He got hurt because Q couldn't hold off his man for 1.5 seconds. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, NoSaint said:

like “oh I’ve missed 3 throws and nothing else is going smooth and I’m going to go hit a guy in the open field” as opposed to calculated “it’s 3rd and 5 and I need to get to the sticks”

Didn’t we see Allen literally do this last season? 

Vikings game, OT. Josh let them back in with the fumble and he opened up the drive with two (great runs) but had that total feel of “I’m fired up and I’m gonna win this whole thing.” Then, of course, threw the bad pick to lose it.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Didn’t we see Allen literally do this last season? 

Vikings game, OT. Josh let them back in with the fumble and he opened up the drive with two (great runs) but had that total feel of “I’m fired up and I’m gonna win this whole thing.” Then, of course, threw the bad pick to lose it.

And hit diggs over the middle on one of the craziest throws of the season for the win

It's the nature of the position

Just now, GoBills808 said:

And hit diggs over the middle on one of the craziest throws of the season for the win

It's the nature of the position

Talking about lions game

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

This is a bad Tweet. 

Doesn't matter who brought the subject up. 

At the end of the day this FO and Coaching staff is saying Allen's running is unsustainable, how's it a problem, while not taking any blame for a below average offensive line, an offensive approach that has no sustained interest in running the ball, and an average group of skill position players when compared to other top Playoff contenders.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is a bad Tweet. 

Doesn't matter who brought the subject up. 

At the end of the day this FO and Coaching staff is saying Allen's running is unsustainable, how's it a problem, while not taking any blame for a below average offensive line, an offensive approach that has no sustained interest in running the ball, and an average group of skill position players when compared to other top Playoff contenders.  

When you get asked do you want you franchise QB to take less hits, who the hell is going to answer in the negative?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

When you get asked do you want you franchise QB to take less hits, who the hell is going to answer in the negative?

Then state that he needs to run less/slide more often AND they need to protect him better. Josh has taken just as much, if not more, punishment behind the LOS than once he's crossed it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.