McDermott hammers point about Allen running less and sliding. Says it MUST change next year...

Big Turk

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is on Josh and frankly I am not sure you can change him. 

I think you do your best to coach him up on it, and ive been hypercritical of the overused qb keepers, but i dont appreciate this running through the media. I guess i havent heard the tone of it, only reading this.  id rather him be harsh about it inside the locker room even as opposed to semi-soft through the media. kinda strange. sounds like Coach is really feeling the pressure already

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

That's not happening. He's the most powerful person in the Bills organization outside of the owners. 

If the coach wants it will happen, can’t let the lunatics run the asylum, 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

What good will come from such blatant disrespect to our franchise QB? We need to keep him happy and focused on winning. No need for a power struggle.

So you’re saying that Josh is a sensitive snowflake, and he will go to pieces over that? 

Many here have rightfully pointed out the continued need to upgrade the OL. Further, we have not had a back who could get the short and tough yards. The addition of Damien Harris should help in that regard. Allen will never totally give up on running and he should not because it is an important dimension to his game. But used sparingly, it will be even more deadly 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So you’re saying that Josh is a sensitive snowflake, and he will go to pieces over that? 

No, the opposite. He'll butt heads with McDermott and stick up for himself, and there will be conflict between him and the head coach.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

yeah, that'll go over well with the team. Good call

Ya can’t reward poor behavior in an employee, ever,

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

If the coach wants it will happen, can’t let the lunatics run the asylum, 

The coach & gm have wanted it for the last 2-3 years, it has not happened. Funny they want him to quit running when 3 out of his 4 injuries have occurred behind the LOS. One could argue a quality OL would aid in his longevity better than him reducing his running attempts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I think you do your best to coach him up on it, and ive been hypercritical of the overused qb keepers, but i dont appreciate this running through the media. I guess i havent heard the tone of it, only reading this.  id rather him be harsh about it inside the locker room even as opposed to semi-soft through the media. kinda strange. sounds like Coach is really feeling the pressure already

He has said it multiple times in pressers and now it's getting to the point where he is being ignored.  He is the Head Coach.

If he has said it that many times to us, how many times has he said it to Josh and Dorsey?

McDermott is the father figure of this family.  Sometimes a dad has to yell to get his point across.

He's also with Pegula and Beane on this trip.  I bet you any money they feel the same way and for all we know they are using this

forum to get their point across once and for all.

I'd recommend you go to the OP and click the link.  Seems they all agree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He has said it multiple times in pressers and now it's getting to the point where he is being ignored.  He is the Head Coach.

If he has said it that many times to us, how many times has he said it to Josh and Dorsey?

McDermott is the father figure of this family.  Sometimes a dad has to yell to get his point across.

He's also with Pegula and Beane on this trip.  I bet you any money they feel the same way and for all we know they are using this

forum to get their point across once and for all.

I'd recommend you go to the OP and click the link.  Seems they all agree.

Because everybody knows effective parenting is getting your point across to your kids through the media 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I think running is fine, gives the defense something else to worry about.  But the rest, the hurdling, the bulldozing for an extra yard or two...yeah, that boy needs to learn how to slide.

Just now, The Red King said:

I think running is fine, gives the defense something else to worry about.  But the rest, the hurdling, the bulldozing for an extra yard or two...yeah, that boy needs to learn how to slide at times.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Agreed, but I mean what is he going to do, bench him?

Run the ball more.  Less passing less need for him to scramble.  Use the RB in the run game and less called run plays for Allen.  

It will never totally go away but they can lessen the amount he runs.

McD is obviously right, no one in their right mind wants their QB (probably the single most important individual position in any team sport) out there playing like a LB or FB taking extra punishment then is necessary.  

At the same time, you don't want to strip away some of the instincts and greatness from someone like Allen and make them play hesitant either.  

Allen is too competitive to give himself up in a moment the team needs a play from him, so that is never going to change.  The middle ground however is to mitigate the toll by taking the slide or getting out of bounds in the situations most often where it is not necessary to take contact.  On 3rd down, if he runs and is past the first down marker, then it's ok to give himself up for example to avoid taking a big hit, not to mention to prevent the risk of a fumble.  Now in situations where he has the first down and has an opportunity to keep going for a big gain and possible score, I would not expect Allen to just slide and give up on the play either and take the opportunities there while being smart about getting out of bounds or sliding before unnecessary contact happens.  

And I think that is where the biggest change needs to come...to learn he doesn't have to put his body on the line in moments where the payoff isn't there, the team doesn't need it, etc.  Its ok to take first and goal on the 6 yard line versus putting his head down into 3 defenders and trying to run over them for a score.  Or on 3rd and 9 to get the first down and not try and fight for an additional 5-10 yards where he is going to take punishment.  

When the contact is necessary to extend a drive, get the score, etc I think that is just part of his game that comes with the territory.  But if they really want to help Allen avoid more contact, there needs to be a lot less designed runs where the defenders are still near the LOS and contact is almost inevitable.  Roll Josh out with the option to run or pass, let the recievers take the defenders away from the LOS where Josh can take off if he chooses and get chunk yardage before contact and get out of bounds or slide.  We need to seriously reduce the number of plays where its a designed run off the snap in moments where it's just not needed.  I get QB sneaks, or using the immense weapons of Josh's legs to get convert in a key down 3rd or 4th down play.  But too many times we have called plays like that in moments it was unnecessary.  

Obviously you don't want to be too predictable either always running just on 3rd and short and no other times, but establishing a better run game around Josh, rolling Josh out, etc is the best way to do that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

McDermott is publicly stating what most of us have been saying.  That alone is a big tell what goes on at OBD.

What combination of responsibility that is between Josh and Dorsey is immaterial, they both are part of that.

I'll add that Beane has responsibility in this too.  He has started to put resources into the OL and has to continue in the draft.

I got no problem with McDermott getting a little tougher with coaches and players.

McD is acutely aware of the criticism levied, so this is him getting out in front of it.  He knows expectations are high for 2023 and being an astute PR minded guy, he will set the narrative.   

I also suspect McBeane are, for the first time in their tenure, chafing at the criticism about their "process" and trying to establish that it's not them that needs to change.  It's always something or someone else in McD's world.  Couldn't be that the emphasis on building defense has short-changed the offensive skill and OL areas leaving Josh to make plays.  Nah, that would mean McD might have to adapt to having a franchise QB and admit his "process" needs major tweaks to an overhaul.  :lol:

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is on Josh and frankly I am not sure you can change him. 

It’s about being sincerely coachable, as Josh states he is.  But i agree with you,,,he says one thing , “ we cant do that” about a million times regarding turnovers, yet we saw one of his worst years last year regarding turnovers.   There is a certain stubbornness , as if he enjoys things like the angry run awards from Brandt, that speaks to some ego that josh seems to have, and while ego in a franchise QB is desirable , so is putting some of that aside with growth and team needs.   Josh has given lots of lip service to protecting himself regarding sliding, but SEAN seems to be sending firm messages and he doesn’t want to see CAM 2.0 , so i expect Dorsey and Josh both hear this as a firm directive this year , at least for most of the season.

However , if SEAN wants this , it requires a decent o line and it may require more than just HARRIS.  It may still mean if available, getting a true RB upgrade in the terms of drafting a talent like BIJON if possible. Harris is slightly different than motor , augmented if you put him behind a good line as after comparing career stats, Harris and motor don’t appear drastically different. BIJON is a more talented back and actually , according to Greg Cosell , a true three down bell cow type talent.  

SEAN has seen the writing on the wall; running , mobile QBS still don’t last long taking hits in the NFL, and SEANS future is tied to keeping Josh healthy and playing.  We’ve heard this the prior 2 seasons about josh being protected and not being the primary runner; it’s time to assure  it happens. Three additions have helped the o line via FA; They also added to the O with some new wr talent , and finally they helped the RB room some as well. All 3 areas can still get more talent via the draft and should.  For example,  I wanted Dobbins over Epenesa 2 years ago , Dobbins being available when they grabbed epenesa, and so far that still seems like we missed on that pick. It would be great and I would love to see BEANE make an attempt to add a very unique RB talent in BIJON, as the other positions will still have tiered talent later in the draft  that can help the BILLS. It would be a real step in helping  protect Josh with a very unique  RB , providing help by going for a guy on a talent tier  by himself, and finally give this directive of protecting josh some real assets  rather than just talking about it !

BTW, for those who posted the critical stuff about signing RAPP, Eric from cover 1 just posted a great video breakdown on YouTube on him. This guy looks absolutely like a great addition. Bills were 31st in missed tackles last year. This guy doesn’t miss tackles , great at run stopping, covering the TE, can get PBU’S and ints, BUT wow, this guy doesn’t miss tackles.  Watching Eric break down his performance from last year , i am really excited about this addition, and i bet you will be as well. Highly recommend Eric Turners cover 1 , 10 min film breakdown on RAPP, JUST posted on youtube!  This guy is an exciting player and looks to be a GREAT addition in the SEAN MCDERMOTT defensive toolbox !  It’s worth your time if you have questions about RAPP, and it takes a lot for me to recommend most types of off season content , but this breakdown was very well done and if you cant believe your eyes after this , not sure how to convince you. I 😀👍

Edited by DrPJax
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.