McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. What I did not want was a new DC where after 2023 we are saying "well maybe a second season with that coordinator..." It is a big year for this regime. Personally I wanted Frazier to stay, but once he stepped down, I understand McD taking it on. 

The one thing I will say about DCs playcalling compared to OCs is I think the studying the ipad and adjusting is more critical on D than on O because on D you are the reactive side of the ball. On offense, sure you need see what looks the D is giving you and adjust a bit but you are in control. You are the protagonist. To an extent you can make the D adjust to you. Much harder the other way around. 

But we will see. McDermott is one of the top defensive minds in the league so hopefully it works out. 

Good point. I'm sure he will have the new guy - Holcomb was his name I think, to help with in game review and adjustments.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

When you have a coach nicknamed "Riverboat Ron" for his aggressive playcalling speak about needing to rein McD in, That's Saying Something.

Yup-  it says that we haven’t been watching McDs defense-  don’t listen to make believe Carolina fans 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've wondered through this discussion how much of McD's aggressiveness in Carolina was due to the pressure/influence of his aggressive Head Coach, "Riverboat Ron"? Did he need that weekly influence of a former badass MLB in his ear encouraging him to push those limits? Can he find that again on his own with possibly his job on the line?

You just don't want to accept that it wasn't his defense over the last several years. I told right off the bat he was an aggressive DC and now his former HC confirms it and you still question it. Many seem to forget that before Ron Rivera was nicknamed Riverboat Ron he was a very conservative coach. He only changed when he was about to lose the locker room in Carolina. McDermott is far more aggressive than Ron is.

57 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You just don't want to accept that it wasn't his defense over the last several years. I told right off the bat he was an aggressive DC and now his former HC confirms it and you still question it. Many seem to forget that before Ron Rivera was nicknamed Riverboat Ron he was a very conservative coach. He only changed when he was about to lose the locker room in Carolina. McDermott is far more aggressive than Ron is.

We're here to discuss. I can ask questions and pose things so folks can chime in. Dont get offended by my questioning, or take it as some personal slight to you or McD.

I am absolutely counting on McD coming out with a far more aggressive Defense. Otherwise, why bother?

But McD has never come across as a "LETS SMASH THEIR F%&$ING HEADS IN" guy. The team has been living his culture the last 5 years. And for that time, we've been soft on both sides of the ball. We've gotten bullied far more than we've done the bullying. But we win with talent and finesse.

I got similarly mocked right before the Cincy game because I said I was worried and didnt think we'd have the toughness

On 1/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

For what it's worth, when we are this deep into the playoffs, I kinda wish our crew would be less "Humble" and more "Hyped & Hungry". Start fast, execute, take the fight to them and knock em in the mouth before they know what hit em. Be the bully for once.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 AM, LeGOATski said:

You want them to....build a bully?

Yeah, the Bills are PLENTY physical on both sides of the ball.

And then the game happened.

(no offense LeGOATski, tried to take your name off the post. just for illustrative purposes)

This is a Championship Coach's pregame speech, can you ever see McD pulling this?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Had a thought and I'm not sure if it's been talked about yet.

Wondering if McDermot will overcompensate with defensive draft picks in order to have a good showing as defensive playcaller....

Any history of his style out there and if he will want to bring in specific skillsets?

Like, DIME, 3-4, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 1:58 AM, Yantha said:

Had a thought and I'm not sure if it's been talked about yet.

Wondering if McDermot will overcompensate with defensive draft picks in order to have a good showing as defensive playcaller....

Any history of his style out there and if he will want to bring in specific skillsets?

Like, DIME, 3-4, etc?

Nah he is a 4-3 guy. Formation wise it will be very similar to what Frazier did. When he was DC in Carolina he preferred to use a linebacker as a "big nickel" Shaq Thompson primarily, rather than a traditional nickel corner but in terms of actual alignment he played a similar role to Taron. Some maybe think we will see Taylor Rapp do a bit of that big nickel type stuff, but he was mainly a deep safety for the Rams so personally that feels like a projection. I think he is here rather to provide some better vet depth for Jordan and Micah. I think it is fair to say McDermott is a more aggressive playcaller than Leslie, but on terms of overall scheme, formation, alignment, change ups I expect it to look similar. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, major said:

I’ll say this, it’s a big gamble

when the HC takes over play calling on either side of the ball. The buck stops here with McDermott and he is definitely putting his career on the line as a HC

With how the team has underperformed come playoff time the buck stops with McDermott and he needs to right the ship so I am good with this decision.

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

With how the team has underperformed come playoff time the buck stops with McDermott and he needs to right the ship so I am good with this decision.

Maybe the team didn't underperform. Maybe it performed at its level. Maybe McDermott, the 13th winningest winning NFL coach, brought the team above its level.

5 hours ago, boater said:

Maybe the team didn't underperform. Maybe it performed at its level. Maybe McDermott, the 13th winningest winning NFL coach, brought the team above its level.

I see a top 10 ranked defense that plays scared and overly conservative against teams with elite QBs. I hope we see a shift away from being a finesse team who allows teams to dictate how they want to play. Believe part of the problem was the play caller who is no longer here. I rather be aggressive and lose versus soft and underwhelming. Focus on Red zone defense and limiting TDs scored against. If this results in a middle of the pack defense that is fine. Key to a Super Bowl rests on the offense. 

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t see any updates but are we bringing on any new coaches to make up for McDermott’s clapping now that he’s calling plays?  I feel like we’re gonna need at least two people to make up for the loss of sheer power and enthusiasm he brings to his claps.  

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

I didn’t see any updates but are we bringing on any new coaches to make up for McDermott’s clapping now that he’s calling plays?  I feel like we’re gonna need at least two people to make up for the loss of sheer power and enthusiasm he brings to his claps.  

No

7 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

I’m available and inexpensive 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I still want my question answered on who did the defensive play calling in the last 4 min of the KC playoff game. 

Relaxation Respiration GIF by YOGABODY

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m available and inexpensive 

Can you send us an audition video? Also an audio recording with a decibel meter would be helpful.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

On 3/27/2023 at 2:17 PM, Don Otreply said:

Andy Reid calls the offense in KC, has won two championships so I don’t think he is wasting his time…, 

Given that the average ranking of his defense over the past 7 seasons is a perfect 22nd, one could argue that.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Given that the average ranking of his defense over the past 7 seasons is a perfect 22nd, one could argue that.  

Andy calls the offense…,  just sayin, 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.