McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, WIDE LEFT said:

You don’t have to be a mathematician to compute that 2+2 = 4.  So we find out this week that McD will call the D this year. It’s a no brainer  that McD early on informed Frazier that he was going to call the D next year. Frazier understandably does see this as a huge downgrade (as it is). Can’t get a HC job if you are a coordinator who doesn’t call the plays. Can’t take that downgrade. Understandable. Simple math

It definitely makes sense but sometimes in the NFL the dots don’t connect the way they appear.  If McDermott informed Frazier early on that he was taking over, then why did he wait until March to re-sign?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, the ST coach was fired for his mistake.  

Once that had happened, we still had 13 seconds to stop them from getting into FG range. It’s not THAT difficult of a task…. Kelce knew exactly what was coming and he made us pay.  That’s on the DC 

You don’t say “well Farwell screwed up first, so if he didn’t screw up in the first place, Frazier never would’ve have had chance to screw up”.  That’s just the most idiotic thing I’ve ever heard.  They both screwed.  Then Frazier found a way to do it again just 6 games later.  

I didn’t think he’d be fired but I thought it was in our best interests to move on.

You left out the part that the LB coach quietly retired. Maybe that had something to do with the middle of the field being wide open? Just a guess. Given that Leslie is running Sean's D, and Sean is standing right there watching the whole thing and could have easily changed the call, my guess is that Leslie wasn't fired because Sean knew he wasn't as much to blame as the fans think.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Then Frazier found a way to do it again just 6 games later.  

Hmmm...you'd think a defensive head coach wouldn't allow that to happen? Insist on a different approach? Or maybe that's just his scheme...

3 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

You left out the part that the LB coach quietly retired. Maybe that had something to do with the middle of the field being wide open? Just a guess. Given that Leslie is running Sean's D, and Sean is standing right there watching the whole thing and could have easily changed the call, my guess is that Leslie wasn't fired because Sean knew he wasn't as much to blame as the fans think.

Hmmm...you'd think a defensive head coach wouldn't allow that to happen? Insist on a different approach? Or maybe that's just his scheme...

You’re entitled to your guess.  We’ll probably never know

21 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

You don’t have to be a mathematician to compute that 2+2 = 4.  So we find out this week that McD will call the D this year. It’s a no brainer  that McD early on informed Frazier that he was going to call the D next year. Frazier understandably does see this as a huge downgrade (as it is). Can’t get a HC job if you are a coordinator who doesn’t call the plays. Can’t take that downgrade. Understandable. Simple math

Boy, I love simple math

10 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

That's why Kuechly needs to get in here as MLB and coach

8 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Quick, one word that reminds you of Leslie Frazier as a play caller:  passive comes to my mind.  

Quite the difference-  between how Ron Rivera characterizes McD.  

Yet we have Carolina fans brainwashing our mafia brethren into thinking that Leslie Frazier was running the defense exactly the same as McD would’ve run it.  

Too funny.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Sean should have imposed his will on the defense when Frazier was the DC. Frazier was all about speed and rushing 4. He wanted lighter and faster guys to play his bend don’t break defense. Sean said he preferred a more physically imposing, big play defense. This is the year Sean shows his value because his defense has been underachieving the last 3 playoff seasons.

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Has anyone come up w an answer for why McDermott, defensive mind non pareil, allowed Frazier to mismanage his side of the ball for 5 years until finally stepping in?

Are we sure the bolded part is true?

On 3/27/2023 at 3:36 PM, sullim4 said:

I think this will help the defense, but it worries me as McD is not known as a strong in-game head coach.  Particularly on things like challenges and using timeouts.

I hope there is someone in his ear that he can trust that will alert him to stuff like this.

On 3/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, Kmart128 said:

I kinda figured he would but i atleast hope he hires a "DC" just to help get prepared and to be his eyes in the sky

We did bring in Al Holcomb as a Senior Defensive Asst in early-mid Feb. who had been a DC before. That was the move that told me Frazier was on the outs. Might be that he will serve as McD’s defensive aide-de-camp the way Bienemy was OC to Reid, taking on DCish duties during the week, but the playcalling will be McD.

I seem to recall McD did his Carolina DCing from the booth where he could see the field better. Doubt he can really do that as HC. Maybe the new technology stuff / tablets / etc.  mitigates this?

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

Aren’t there more examples making it more than one example.  In addition to Andy Reid:

Shaun McVay calls plays.  Don’t think he’s given that up. Think they might have gone to two super bowls and won one.

Doug Pederson calls plays.  Think they might have won a Super Bowl or something with him calling

I believe Zac Taylor calls plays for the Bengals

Kyle Shanahan calls plays, though there’s some interesting stuff about that on 538

Didn’t Bill Belicheck used to call plays?  Took him a long time to hand over the reins even to long time coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia.  He might have had some success sometime

Sirianni used to call plays.  He handed off to Steichen I think midway through 2021, but with Steichen heading to the Colts, who knows?

Seems to go more with offensive minded HC than defensive, but that’s partly because there are more of the former

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.