McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Ready for the lava take?

McD is in trouble. How many defensive HC’s “take over playcalling” when things aren’t going great and they are trying to save their jobs?

Florio has been saying this for about a year now. I think he’s on to something.

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Are McDermott’s tendencies any different from the conservative play calling we have seen from Frazier?  

McDermott's mentor was the late Jim Johnson. From Wiki:

"Johnson was a defensive coordinator for nine seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. Widely regarded as one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, he was especially known for being a master architect of blitzes, disguising them skillfully and keeping offenses off balance."

Johnson on his coaching philosophy: "It was around 1994 or 1995, when I was with the Colts, and we were playing against San Francisco with Steve Young running the West Coast offense, releasing receivers all the time, guys getting by you. The idea was don't let these people dictate to you. You have to put more pressure [on the quarterback], and every year we tried to figure out how to do that."

And more:

"On January 22, 1999, Eagles head coach Andy Reid targeted and hired Jim Johnson as the Eagles new defensive coordinator. Johnson's tenure in Philadelphia was his most successful, as the Eagles won 5 division titles, each reaping the benefits of his defenses. Because head coach Andy Reid is known more for his acumen on the offensive side of the ball, he handed complete control of the defensive unit of the team to Johnson, allowing Reid to concentrate on running the offense with his offensive coordinators, Brad Childress and later Marty Mornhinweg.

Reid repeatedly said he had full confidence in Johnson and the Eagles rewarded him accordingly, as he became one of the highest paid coordinators in the NFL. "As I've said many times, Jim Johnson is the best in the business at what he does", said Reid upon signing his prized defensive coordinator to a lucrative four-year contract extension in 2005. "His defensive units continue to produce at a very high level as he puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses." From 2000–07, Johnson's units rank tied for first in the NFL with 342 sacks, second in the league in 3rd down efficiency (34.3%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.0%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.6 per game).

In 2001, Johnson's unit became the fourth team in NFL history to go all 16 games without allowing more than 21 points. Their streak of allowing 21 or fewer in 34 straight games was second longest in NFL history (Minnesota, 1968–71). In 1999, Johnson's unit forced an NFL-best 46 turnovers, including a team-record 5 interceptions returned for TDs.

Eagles defenders were selected for the Pro Bowl 26 times during Johnson's tenure. Former Eagle Brian Dawkins led the way with seven. Other Eagles defenders to go to the Pro Bowl under Johnson include Troy Vincent (five), Jeremiah Trotter (four), Hugh Douglas (three), Lito Sheppard(two), and Trent Cole, Michael Lewis, Asante Samuel, Corey Simon, Bobby Taylor (one each).

Current NFL head coaches John Harbaugh (special teams and defensive backs), Ron Rivera (linebackers), and Sean McDermott (defensive backs and linebackers) coached under Johnson with the Eagles.

The mistake McDermott made was giving too much trust and autonomy to Frasier. The times McDermott took over the playcalling resulted in a different looking defense that performed better.

7 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

But its not just Reid. It's actually really common for HCs that were OCs to call the plays. Off the top of my head, this is the list:

• Nick Siriani
  • Zach Taylor
  • Sean McVey
  • Kevin O'Connell 
  • Kyle Shanahan
  • Mike McDaniel
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Matt LaFleur

There are probably more of them.

As was proven as the conversation developed... many more HCs calling plays on both offense and defense.

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If your speculation is correct, then I LOVE this plan. But there's nothing indicating it's not gonna be the same ol soft Tampa 2 we've always seen. Might just have a few more aggressive play calls.

Now do Defense.

See above. McDermott's mentor was Jim Johnson and McDermott alluded to Johnson's influence when he was hired by the Bills.

1. Bill Belichick
  2. Todd Bowles
  3. Dennis Allen
  4. DeMeco Ryans is probably going to call the plays in Houston

And as DrDawkinstein added also Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles.

5 hours ago, Governor said:

He also knew he needed a strong DC and finally got one.

Yes, Reid targeted Jim Johnson... to great results.

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Great post. Our HC is becoming a big boy right in front of our eyes.  Seriously though, I hope thios works out and his assessment is right.  Wish we had some more experience on the offensive side to help Dorsey though.  Bummer we lost Joe Brady (right name? Car OC that was fired 2 years ago?), I think we did?  Or is he still here? Couldve swore that was a 1 yr deal for him to get his feet back under him

The Bills have 4 former offensive coordinators on the current staff: Aaron Kromer, Joe Brady, Rob Boras, and Mike Shula. There's tons of expertise to help Dorsey...  if he has the ability to tap into it and maximize it.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Ready for the lava take?

McD is in trouble. How many defensive HC’s “take over playcalling” when things aren’t going great and they are trying to save their jobs?

That's not really a lava take. Several people in this thread have already stated that McDermott is feeling the heat, and that's what compelled the firing of Frasier and McDermott's decision to take greater responsibility.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

By the way, why does everyone just assume that play calling duties decrease the effectiveness of a Head Coach in the area of game management?

Couldn't it be just as easily argued that the focus required for play calling (down, distance, time remaining, etc) would make a Head Coach better at game management?

As long as he has someone in his ear helping with times out, replay challenges, etc it shouldn't be a problem.

Also it's often been stated that play calling for offense is more difficult that play calling for defense... the offensive play calls are much longer.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Of course is a similar d.  I never said it wasn’t.  It’s not the same d, like your boy said.  Text messages containing everything we already know means what?  There’s a reason McD canned Frazier-  because Mcdermott wants to do things a bit differently.  He wants to do things his way…..  not a combination of his and Leslie’s way.  

Awww my fanboy!!  Hi buddy! 

you quoted a text message from troll boys friend- and you’re siding with him.  Thanks. If you didn’t, there would be something wrong with the world.  

You think we’ve been running the same exact d with the same tendencies that he ran Carolina too. Good for you.  

you’ll both see that things will be a lil bit different next year. 

You got dunked on accusing him of making it up.  It's a long offseason, just don't make it a trend lmao.

People who say "The Great Andy Reid fired McDermott" always fail to mention that the great Andy Reid was fired the very next year by the Eagles. He used McDermott as a scapegoat to keep his job for one more year and the D got worse.

McD coached the worst scoring defense in Eagles history. He wasn't a scape goat, his unit was awful. The guy had one excellent year in Carolina and people act like he had all these years of success. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Governor said:

That’s exactly where we are and I think he’s probably fine with it. If he can’t make it work this season then he should be gone. He will go down with that soft scheme if he has to.

Not sure about this. I think it's time to really start evaluating whether McD is the coach that can get the Bills back into the Super Bowl. Thus far, he's failed to do so. I think It's a fair question. Arguments can be made on both sides of this issue.

I like that McD is taking over the D. It clearly puts him front and center. This move will likely accelerate McD fate as the Bills coach. I think that's a good thing. However, I don't think McD has such a short lease. 

Edited by newcam2012

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

McD coached the worst scoring defense in Eagles history. He wasn't a scape goat, his unit was awful. The guy had one excellent year in Carolina and people act like he had all these years of success. 

And not to bash on McD, because I do agree he is the best DC on staff, but that year was also Cam's MVP season where he was lighting it up to big, early leads and the D could just pin their ears back and attack.

Hopefully, we get that performance out of Josh and the Offense and history can repeat, but it is not like the Defense carried the Panthers to 15-1 and a Super Bowl.

The fact that he is "the best DC on staff" is a different discussion.

I'm really not as negative on all this as I come off in this thread. I'm just giving it a side-eye because a Defensive HC taking over playcalling is usually more a warning sign that anything else.

1 hour ago, Nick the Greek said:

I like Frasier but I think that McD is more than capable of calling the plays. He will bring the D up a notch.

I think it will be several notches. I bet he really wants to make a statement this year and I'm sure he'll be asking himself..." Why didn't I do this sooner?"

I am excited! Hopefully our blitzes go way up and we're near the top in sacks. Sacks wreck QBs and effect their game. It's high time to lay the wood to these fools!

Hopefully Milano goes Arthur Moats on A  Aron.  A.J puts the hit to sit Tua   and Mac Jones is constantly throwing red faced hissy fits and picks.

"Is it better to be feared or respected?" Is it too much to ask for both? I think McD will demand both. I'm psyched!

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It shouldn't change before the season imo. McDermott is the best defensive mind on the coaching staff.

This his is true, 

I find it really amusing that so many folk here think that a guy with tons of defensive play calling experience is gonna have a problem do exactly that, and by that logic any HC calling plays is suddenly unable to do his job, the logic behind that thinking frankly is nonexistent. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

I thought they should’ve fired Frazier after 13 seconds

I still don't understand how someone thinks they should have fired Frazier after 13 seconds when the Special Teams coordinator failed to get the right call in to squibb kick the ball? He was quietly let go and the LB coach quietly retired. This isn't speculation, these are facts. Funny how people overlook the obvious when they have their minds made up. This place is going to go bonkers if Sean's D ranks below Leslie at the end of the season.

• Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

I still don't understand how someone thinks they should have fired Frazier after 13 seconds when the Special Teams coordinator failed to get the right call in to squibb kick the ball? He was quietly let go and the LB coach quietly retired. This isn't speculation, these are facts. Funny how people overlook the obvious when they have their minds made up. This place is going to go bonkers if Sean's D ranks below Leslie at the end of the season.

Squib kick or not the D should have been ready to defend 44 yards of field for 13 seconds (3 plays). Instead they had such bonehead playcalls that Kelce, Mahomes, and Hill were actually baffled we would do such a dumb thing, and even more baffled that we did it AGAIN after a time out.

And to rub salt in that wound, they did it AGAIN in last year's regular season game when KC got the ball back with 16sec left in the 1st half. More soft D, giving up 30 yards in 3 plays and letting KC kick a FG as the clock expired to tie the game going into halftime.

I dont think it wouldve been the right thing to do, and likely thrown the org into more chaos, but there is a discussion to be had regarding firing McD/Frazier after the 13sec debacle and promoting Dabol, just like we talk about the Falcons should have fired Quinn and promoted Shanahan after the 28-3 Super Bowl disaster. Shanahan is now a top head coach and Quinn is happy just being a DC. Interesting.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

I like Frasier but I think that McD is more than capable of calling the plays. He will bring the D up a notch.

No doubt. I think the Bills D will be top three in the NFL. Coach McD is the best in the business defensively. We will see it this season. No more defensive playoff gaffes. Thirteen seconds is long gone. The Bengal thrashing was an anomaly. 

Go Bills. So excited to see McD call plays and kick as$. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Yeah, the ST coach was fired for his mistake.  

Once that had happened, we still had 13 seconds to stop them from getting into FG range. It’s not THAT difficult of a task…. Kelce knew exactly what was coming and he made us pay.  That’s on the DC 

You don’t say “well Farwell screwed up first, so if he didn’t screw up in the first place, Frazier never would’ve have had chance to screw up”.  That’s just the most idiotic thing I’ve ever heard.  They both screwed.  Then Frazier found a way to do it again just 6 games later.  

I didn’t think he’d be fired but I thought it was in our best interests to move on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've heard a lot of fans say that they think it could be to much for him down dual duty as HC & DC but this may be the change in the play offs that we haven't seen in the past with Frazier at the helm . 

The coach of Washington said McD was very aggressive when he was his DC in Carolina so i think with who he has to work with & who they might get in the draft this could be a change for the better .

Plus i have heard that Luke Kuechly is work with Jack Campbell so if he were the chance he could fall to the Bills this could be a really good D even if he wasn't & they got the likes of Drew Sanders i would have no problem with that either .

I feel McD will do a good job because of who he has around him in his staff to help him but his play calling could be the key to lasting longer in the play offs & making a run at the big game ...

Edited by T master

You don’t have to be a mathematician to compute that 2+2 = 4.  So we find out this week that McD will call the D this year. It’s a no brainer  that McD early on informed Frazier that he was going to call the D next year. Frazier understandably does see this as a huge downgrade (as it is). Can’t get a HC job if you are a coordinator who doesn’t call the plays. Can’t take that downgrade. Understandable. Simple math

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.