McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They aren’t tweet or articles.  They were conversations with friends.  

Ahh. 

So the exact same thing as what I posted. A conversation with a friend.

I sent him your post. If he responds i'll let you know.

And yes, considering he grew up in Buffalo before moving to Carolina 18 years ago, he does watch a lot of Bills football.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I watched the McDermott defense in Carolina and my impressions:

-dline was similarly constructed (lot of combo 1T/3T, in those days Kwaan Short and Lotulelei) and utilized edge guys who could set much like we do

- LBs played more downhill w eyes in backfield a lot more but to be fair they had one of the best of all time in Kuechly and Davis in a similar role to Milano who was excellent and way underrated as an NFL player imo. Still saw a fair amount of deep Tampa2 drops from MLB slot

-Norman in his prime was probably a better man guy than White but they'd mix his coverages up like they do here

-Safeties played more vanilla w fewer rotations pre and post snap because they were playing guys like Tre Boston, back end of McDermott's Bills iteration is far superior which should be no surprise due to much better talent

overall the defenses looked similar but certainly not the same

Thank you.

@Einstein…..  but certainly not the same.  
which contradicts your statement.  

do you man.  Do you

4 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

His Defenses in Carolina were aggressive, nasty, and forced ALOT of turnovers.  I remember that D in their 15-1 season, and they rode herd on everyone

If you look at any year outside of the Super Bowl run it's not flattering. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Thank you.

do you man.  Do you

No I wouldn't call them the same at all, couldn't tell you whether that was due to scheme preference or personnel (likely both)

My brother is a panthers fan and we used to watch bills and panthers games together every weekend

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I never watched McDermott in Carolina so I cant really have an opinion on it. His opinion has formed my opinion though.

Post the tweets/articles of the people  you trust with X's and O's that say his Carolina defense was different. Im willing to listen to both sides.

Well for starters McDermott ran a 43 under in Carolina as a base with a massive cover 3 tendency 

That has now morphed in Buffalo as a nickel package… Running a mostly Tampa 2 or cover 4…. Compared to years ago

McDermott has also had a slightly more willingness to blitz… If you can’t get home with four he’s willing to send five

I would say McDermotts and Fraziers philosophies can exist really well together and he’s given Frazier more trust over the years

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

He'll never know what to do with the offense but I trust him more than Leslie calling plays. I expect to see a slight increase in blitzes and press coverage.  But the Tampa 2 zone and dime will be alive and well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dunno.

If I'm Terry and this is the best McD can come up with this year, I'm thinking "Then why am I paying you HC wages if you are just a DC? As HC, why cant you build a staff properly?"

But I do agree with the accountability aspect. Again, if I'm Terry I'm also thinking "Ok, but any drop off or disappointment by the Defense puts you on the hot seat"

Ready for the lava take?

McD is in trouble. How many defensive HC’s “take over playcalling” when things aren’t going great and they are trying to save their jobs?

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thank you.

I guess this is the point where you cling onto “well they’re not exactly the same”. Just nearly the same. Sigh.

6028-A46-B-B974-4649-9-D38-B0360-A2-C627

DDCC4-E5-A-779-E-4-C51-9453-9-A0567-C23-

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

do you man.  Do you

Thanks! I always will.

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

LBs played more downhill w eyes in backfield a lot more but to be fair they had one of the best of all time in Kuechly and Davis in a similar role to Milano who was excellent and way underrated as an NFL player imo. Still saw a fair amount of deep Tampa2 drops from MLB slot

Keuchly was a great coverage defender. My buddy likes to say McD tried to recreate Keuchly and Davis with Edmunds and Milano.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I guess this is the point where you cling onto “well they’re not exactly the same”. Just nearly the same. Sigh.

8825-CD59-566-F-44-B9-AA78-61-F485-CB959

D0925644-5844-4481-B5-A0-9-EEE127-E63-C2

Thanks! I always will.

Keuchly was a great coverage defender. My buddy likes to say McD tried to recreate Keuchly and Davis with Edmunds and Milano.

Yes it's a decent comparison

But Bene Benwikere wasn't so much around the LOS as Taron Johnson iirc, he was more of a cover nickel thus his nickname big play Bene

• Agree 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yes it's a decent comparison

But Bene Benwikere wasn't so much around the LOS as Taron Johnson iirc, he was more of a cover nickel thus his nickname big play Bene

Taron is definitely a special breed with his ability to blitz and play run support when needed.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

8825-CD59-566-F-44-B9-AA78-61-F485-CB959

D0925644-5844-4481-B5-A0-9-EEE127-E63-C2

Thanks! I always will.

Rare Einstein W.

Common @NewEra L

• Agree 1

I don't love this idea. I can't think of a team that won a Superbowl without an offensive or defensive coordinator, no matter how involved the HC was. 

They're trying to hold the spot open for Frasier to return in a year instead of doing what's best for the team this year. Time to move on, name a full time dedicated D-coordinator. No one is irreplaceable. Lost some respect for Beane & McD w/ this bush league move. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Which explains why Edmunds is gone.  Maybe they thought he grow into a tougher downhill guy ro go with his incredible mobility.  Year five may have been Edmunds final tryout.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Any qualification of "current plan", "for now", "right now", etc. When the fans are looking for a solid statement on the actual plan for the season. It's minor, but coaches always use those qualifiers. Not a big deal, just something to note for the discussion here on what else could happen.

It's a normal qualifier to use in any similar situation in any profession or just normal life. It's not coach speak.

Coach speak refers to vague cliches relative to the sport in order to avoid giving specific answers.

These are two different things.

54 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Someone when this was first brought up asserted that some fantastic number - 3/4 or 2/3 or something - of head coaches call plays on one or the other side of the ball.

When I asked "who are these coaches then?" or where the info game from I got blown off, but it's actually an interesting question to me.

Here's a list of NFL HC, anyone know how many of them call plays?

I went on a picnic with my Dad and came home with my Mom....Wait, What?

@FrenchConnection put some good lists together early in the thread.

Mostly offensive coaches for whatever that is worth. The defensive coaches listed didnt do too hot. But not sure any correlations can be drawn from that.

And to me, it doesnt matter if a bunch "do it". How many do it well? How many handle the in-game decisions well?

I have to go through the lists again, but I know that Bengals fans were CRUSHING Taylor early in the season for a number of really bone-head calls and clock managements. So just because they are, doesnt always mean its a good idea.

But "Reid and Belichick" so 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Ready for the lava take?

McD is in trouble. How many defensive HC’s “take over playcalling” when things aren’t going great and they are trying to save their jobs?

Well let's check the list of those that have...

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:
  1. Bill Belichick
  2. Todd Bowles
  3. Dennis Allen
  4. DeMeco Ryans is probably going to call the plays in Houston

Outside of BB, not the best list. It must be noted that this might not work, and it would not be unheard of for this to change before week 1. He has someone on the defensive staff that has called plays in the NFL before so a change could happen after he sees how it goes in the preseason. Brian Daboll intended to call the plays in NY, but ended up handing that to Kafka.

Doesnt mean McD can't buck the trend, and all of these are different teams in different situations, but...

That said, I hope it goes great. I'm not a doom and gloom guy, just brought it all up to discuss it. Would love to see a more aggressive Defense like the one they had in Carolina.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

6028-A46-B-B974-4649-9-D38-B0360-A2-C627

DDCC4-E5-A-779-E-4-C51-9453-9-A0567-C23-

Thanks! I always will.

Of course is a similar d.  I never said it wasn’t.  It’s not the same d, like your boy said.  Text messages containing everything we already know means what?  There’s a reason McD canned Frazier-  because Mcdermott wants to do things a bit differently.  He wants to do things his way…..  not a combination of his and Leslie’s way.  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Rare Einstein W.

Common @NewEra L

Awww my fanboy!!  Hi buddy! 

you quoted a text message from troll boys friend- and you’re siding with him.  Thanks. If you didn’t, there would be something wrong with the world.  

You think we’ve been running the same exact d with the same tendencies that he ran Carolina too. Good for you.  

you’ll both see that things will be a lil bit different next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Ready for the lava take?

That’s exactly where we are and I think he’s probably fine with it. If he can’t make it work this season then he should be gone. He will go down with that soft scheme if he has to.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.