McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Andy Reid wasn't the "Andy Reid of Offense" in the beginning of his head coaching career, either.   Reid spent years becoming the "Andy Reid of Offense."

• Like (+1) 2

I'll be honest here. Im only aware at a topical level of what a HC responsibilities include. Like any career, im sure most ppl would be surprised at the things needed to do their job correctly. (Anybody whos started a new job can relate to "oh wow, i never realized they had to do X" feeling)

Anyone able to link a good article or make a semi detailed post listing the main things a coach does day to day?  I think itd make for an interesting topic, where everyone can learn something.

If I were to make an educated guess, it would be alonng the lines of coaching the coaches.  Evaluating coordinators and positions coaches. Kind of acting as a CPU for the staff, but thats a pretty vague idea.

Bonus points for anyone that can post or explain a GMs day to day responsibilities.  Ive looked for youtube videos and articles and havent found much

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

This is being lazy, call out McDermott for something he hasn't been then put on others to prove you wrong. 

So here goes:

1. McDermott has always been more multiple with his defense.  Primarily cover 3, 4, 6 looks (with some cover 2).  He has also used Double A gap pressure looks to disguise pass rush and coverage.  He's also used alot more 4-3 base looks, along with over/under fronts.  Something we saw in 2017, when he 1st started with us.

2. Frazier is Mr Tampa 2.  Which is what alot of posters said for long time.

Here is just 1 article: https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/06/growing-pains-breaking-down-the-bills-transition-to-sean-mcdermotts-4-3-defense/

You can go find others, or spend the time looking up defensive formation/coverage stats.

I'm good with the move as it was beyond past due to ditch Frazier. I think they were really hoping someone would offer him an HC job based on the reg season stats but everyone saw Frazier implode in the playoffs year after year. The only hope was Houston but they went with Lovie.  

Better late then never but 3 years wasted. Now do Washington on the D Line 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then this makes the Frazier hiring and the entire last 5 years absolutely confusing and a seemingly huge management misalignment.

I think there was a lot more going on back then.   It seemed completely clear to me that McDermott could see that he was young, inexperienced, and probably unaware of things that were coming his way.   He wanted a head-coach mentor, someone who had been there already and who could say, "look out, kid, here's what could be coming."  McDermott welcomes suggestions, so it was a natural to get a someone to be in role.   The guy didn't have to be the best defensive coach, he just had to be someone whose style was similar to McDermott's.  McDermott could tell him what he wanted, and McDermott could count on Frazier, a veteran coach, to get it done.  Thus, McDermott could have a defense more or less like he wanted without having to spend a lot of time on the minutiae, which Frazier would handle.    It was a really safe hire. 

Now, McDermott holds the reins firmly.   He knows how to run this team.   He doesn't have to spend a lot of time learning how to be a head coach.  He's there.   He doesn't need a mentor.  He doesn't have to spend so much time paying attention to some head coach issues, and he has more time to spend on what he loves - the defense.  He can use that time to have a some up-and-comer talent run the minutiae, and McDermott will provide more hands-on oversight to the defense.   He will be in a role more like Reid and his offense, where Reid has his hands all over the offense.  

I think the result will be that we'll start to see more creative defense, both in design and in play calling.   

The unspoken part of this is that McDermott seems to have full confidence that Dorsey will be able to do his job,  because he can't go off dedicating time to the defense if Dorsey can't get it done.  

That's what I think is going on.   Even if I'm correct about why these things are happening, it doesn't mean they will work.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I would’ve despised hiring from inside.  

I understand wanting him to concentrate on his HC responsibilities.

i just think that he got the job because of his ability to call plays on D and his ability with X’s and O’s.  His defense run by Frazier has always let us down on the biggest stage in January.  I don’t see how someone else will get the results that McD is looking for.  Especially a rookie play caller.  I think that would’ve been an EPIC fail.  Leaving him as the only choice.  OT may cost him his job…. But another Lombardi-less season may have done the same.  

Whats OT stand for? I've seen it a lot lately. Wrote it off as typo, but i think it means something im not privy to now lol

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

He also knew he needed a strong DC and finally got one.

True.  I just completed another post that says it seems clear that McDermott trusts Dorsey with the offense.   It's a big bet - he's betting Dorsey can be his Spagnuolo.   

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

This is about all that wasn’t coach speak , which mcd has become an ultimate professional at , so much so i admit i clicked away after 2 min and missed the above statement. Imo, the whole preseason talk from one BILLS DRIVE, is non productive listening time and i get just as much insight from certain posts on here compered  to small tidbits of things this staff dwell in. The signings are interesting , but after last year I’m  sorry , IMO until i see something happen on the field,  the rest of all the talk shows, mock drafts, etc mean nothing and are no longer predictive of anything. It’s just constant talk, opinions from content creators reaching for something relevant.  After trading for Hines, bringing in smoke, Beas, drafting cook, shakir , etc and all sparingly being used, i have no reason to trust “TALK” until i see the actual product being used or created on the field during the actual season. Sorry, just an evolution what one can expect with this staff  regarding the team at this time of the year, reminding all this is still even prior to the draft so factual roster composition is impossible. 

That’s said, thanks for posting this ,( those are two of the more entertaining cover 1 guys , along with Greg, Eric, and Aaron who are quite knowledgeable , very good in SMALL doses, compared to at times  the lengthy podcasts that are longer than the NFL games they report on or analyze! 😊) and I appreciate the fact this came from MCD personally.  Pretty shocking as i would have thought he might have held on to this post draft , up till the 1st game as i was certain he would state the opponent not knowing the exact D play caller would be a competitive advantage!!!   😂.  

This is great , now the D results can be evaluated knowing for the 1st time , 100% who is making those 3rd & long calls, who is responsible for rotations, who is calling blitzes , etc!  I  think this is happening related to those  prior EPIC PLAYOFF LOSSES ( Keeping Frazier’s move included, as he may be experiencing true burnout or considering retirement but knows you cant put that out there till you do it or perceptually you have retired),  and it is quite possible SEAN may have perceived finally that playoff failures , despite reg season success , are not a  path to a long future with the Bills.  This is perhaps the BEST direct way to determine IF you have the CORRECT man leading the BILLS now, who have  a franchise QB in place, or might owners need to CONSIDER a change in the future if they fall short of reasonable expectations baring unforeseen complications like an injury to a player of Josh’s stature for example.  

I really like this move and IMO, is as key as any player additions.  Other HC’S also call plays , and have demonstrated success, so MCD who is in all likelihood the best dc currently on this staff, should give this years rendition its best shot to compete for a SB title. There is no confusion, it removes communication errors that cost a crucial loss in the past, and now the D’S play and philosophy is CLEAR from day 1 !!  I really believe this keeps the BILLS equal with other EAST teams improvements , because the failures have usually been defensive breakdowns and i think we see a more aggressive D than at any time under FRAZIER.  KUDOS to MCD for accepting this added responsibility AND making it fully transparent, and there is no way this choice can be viewed as an excuse if we see similar defensive gaffs at crucial game times or during the playoffs.  Thanks again for the post ! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think there was a lot more going on back then.   It seemed completely clear to me that McDermott could see that he was young, inexperienced, and probably unaware of things that were coming his way.   He wanted a head-coach mentor, someone who had been there already and who could say, "look out, kid, here's what could be coming."  McDermott welcomes suggestions, so it was a natural to get a someone to be in role.   The guy didn't have to be the best defensive coach, he just had to be someone whose style was similar to McDermott's.  McDermott could tell him what he wanted, and McDermott could count on Frazier, a veteran coach, to get it done.  Thus, McDermott could have a defense more or less like he wanted without having to spend a lot of time on the minutiae, which Frazier would handle.    It was a really safe hire. 

Now, McDermott holds the reins firmly.   He knows how to run this team.   He doesn't have to spend a lot of time learning how to be a head coach.  He's there.   He doesn't need a mentor.  He doesn't have to spend so much time paying attention to some head coach issues, and he has more time to spend on what he loves - the defense.  He can use that time to have a some up-and-comer talent run the minutiae, and McDermott will provide more hands-on oversight to the defense.   He will be in a role more like Reid and his offense, where Reid has his hands all over the offense.  

I think the result will be that we'll start to see more creative defense, both in design and in play calling.   

The unspoken part of this is that McDermott seems to have full confidence that Dorsey will be able to do his job,  because he can't go off dedicating time to the defense if Dorsey can't get it done.  

That's what I think is going on.   Even if I'm write about why these things are happening, it doesn't mean they will work.

I think you hit the nail on the head Shaw.  Only thing I will add is it may have been a bit of Frazier being a fairly conservative DC.

To win in the playoffs you have to take more chances IMO.  Another behind the scenes possibility is McDermott wanting to innovate more

than Frazier was capable or willing to do.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's what I think is going on.   Even if I'm correct about why these things are happening, it doesn't mean they will work.

Great post. Our HC is becoming a big boy right in front of our eyes.  Seriously though, I hope thios works out and his assessment is right.  Wish we had some more experience on the offensive side to help Dorsey though.  Bummer we lost Joe Brady (right name? Car OC that was fired 2 years ago?), I think we did?  Or is he still here? Couldve swore that was a 1 yr deal for him to get his feet back under him

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Great post. Our HC is becoming a big boy right in front of our eyes.  Seriously though, I hope thios works out and his assessment is right.  Wish we had some more experience on the offensive side to help Dorsey though.  Bummer we lost Joe Brady (right name? Car OC that was fired 2 years ago?), I think we did?  Or is he still here? Couldve swore that was a 1 yr deal for him to get his feet back under him

Brady is still here. He is a William & Mary guy too so not likely going anywhere without a big promotion.

Chargers and Jets interviewed him this year, but went with other guys.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

though in part I agree with your statement.. Schemes can be great or horrible if run right/wrong. I can tell you that year one, several times McD took over and the D looked on target. Time for the HC to take responsibility somewhere

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

OT = it - when fat fingered.  😉 

Dammit, I swear Ive seen it being used around here lately.  Thats how you know i spend too much time here.

I remember thinking it was the LAMP equivalent of "original thread" when it was in another post title. No biggy lol

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Focus on head coaching before you start trying to take DC responsibilities on as well

This is not a good idea imo

I doubt it lasts for the entire season. Let’s put people in place and see who emerges to call the defensive plays. Maybe Al Holcomb gets the nod after settling in??? 🤷‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.