McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Tampa 2 is intrinsically one of the softest D schemes out there.

It did ok in 2015 when Cam was lighting it up on the way to an MVP season and they could pin their ears back after taking early leads.

Hoping for the same from Josh/Dorsey this year to help out.

What do you think he ran in Carolina when he had Keuchly in the same role as Edmunds?

This is being lazy, call out McDermott for something he hasn't been then put on others to prove you wrong. 

So here goes:

1. McDermott has always been more multiple with his defense.  Primarily cover 3, 4, 6 looks (with some cover 2).  He has also used Double A gap pressure looks to disguise pass rush and coverage.  He's also used alot more 4-3 base looks, along with over/under fronts.  Something we saw in 2017, when he 1st started with us.

2. Frazier is Mr Tampa 2.  Which is what alot of posters said for long time.

Here is just 1 article: https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/06/growing-pains-breaking-down-the-bills-transition-to-sean-mcdermotts-4-3-defense/

You can go find others, or spend the time looking up defensive formation/coverage stats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So Frazier, running McDermott's defense and being the perfect guy to call plays ultimately failed, yes?

Washington in charge of DL has failed in your estimation.

Now McDermott, despite being the architect of this entire operation, is suddenly putting his foot down and going to call the right plays that the guys before weren't?

So you didn’t answer anything I asked. 

I’ll answer yours though-  

yes-  I think Frazier was the perfect guy to run his defense.  He did a very job, until he didn’t.  Which was every year in the playoff losses. They tried it, it didn’t work.  It may not have worked for one or several reasons.  
Frazier was given the boot and McD is taking over full control of the D.  His D run by him.  Not his D run by Frazier.  

yes, from the couch, I think Washington has failed.  Rousseau looks like the only keeper along the DL- top 10 pick Ed, average.  2nd rd AJ, fail.  2nd rd Boogie, fail.  Part of his job is to develop our draft picks.  

yes-  McD is finally putting his foot down and he thinks he’s going to call the right plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

I think I agree. Leslie took way too much heat for me but McD is one of the best defensive minds in football and was an excellent play caller as a DC. But I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. If you are Andy Reid, fine. Almost anyone else.... meh. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

This is being lazy, call out McDermott for something he hasn't been then put on others to prove you wrong. 

So here goes:

1. McDermott has always been more multiple with his defense.  Primarily cover 3, 4, 6 looks (with some cover 2).  He has also used Double A gap pressure looks to disguise pass rush and coverage.  He's also used alot more 4-3 base looks, along with over/under fronts.  Something we saw in 2017, when he 1st started with us.

2. Frazier is Mr Tampa 2.  Which is what alot of posters said for long time.

Here is just 1 article: https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/06/growing-pains-breaking-down-the-bills-transition-to-sean-mcdermotts-4-3-defense/

You can go find others, or spend the time looking up defensive formation/coverage stats.

Of course we, and every team, change coverage between 2, 3, 4, etc. No one ever argued we run the same D every play. But it is absolutely our base and what we build and draft around. Guys who can play in a 4-3 Cover 2 Zone. A pass-defending MLB, with 2 deep Safeties.

I do agree that we will see vastly different playcalls by McD than Frazier, but they will be out of the same playbook, with the same base scheme of the Cover 2.

I would love to see McD and the Bills get away from that. And that is why I would rather he just bring in a DC with a new scheme and let him focus on that.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So you didn’t answer anything I asked. 

I’ll answer yours though-  

yes-  I think Frazier was the perfect guy to run his defense.  He did a very job, until he didn’t.  Which was every year in the playoff losses. They tried it, it didn’t work.  It may not have worked for one or several reasons.  
Frazier was given the boot and McD is taking over full control of the D.  His D run by him.  Not his D run by Frazier.  

yes, from the couch, I think Washington has failed.  Rousseau looks like the only keeper along the DL- top 10 pick Ed, average.  2nd rd AJ, fail.  2nd rd Boogie, fail.  Part of his job is to develop our draft picks.  

yes-  McD is finally putting his foot down and he thinks he’s going to call the right plays. 

You appear to have a lot more confidence in McDermott than I do, yet you're willing to admit that he left a guy who was calling his defense inadequately at the job for 5 years? That's a tough sell imo.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

If McDermott was planning on running the same type of D this year, he would have given the play calling to one of his minions.

I'm really thinking he is installing a new D and will hand it over to someone else next year.

If my speculation is correct, I can't see why anyone would not like this plan.

I've had similar thoughts and have also thought this might be a bigger reason why they were willing to move on from Tremaine Edmunds 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Tampa 2 is intrinsically one of the softest D schemes out there.

It did ok in 2015 when Cam was lighting it up on the way to an MVP season and they could pin their ears back after taking early leads.

Hoping for the same from Josh/Dorsey this year to help out.

What do you think he ran in Carolina when he had Keuchly in the same role as Edmunds?

We run a Cover 2/Tampa 2.

This was "MCD's Defense" he brought from Carolina and enlisted Frazier to call as his proxy. What else could he have ran in Carolina?

His base defense was actually cover 3. He did run some cover 2, cover 4 & covet 6 with a little cover 1 mixed in. 4-3 base defense with under front and mixes in over. Also might see some wide 9 from him. 

The thing he did was switch up the defense week to week, both in Philly and Carolina. I can't remember the article I read, but I believe it was a game against Peyton Manning he used 9 different defenses during the game to confuse him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've had similar thoughts and have also thought this might be a bigger reason why they were willing to move on from Tremaine Edmunds 

So this whole time he actually wanted to be running a different defense? He should have said something😂😂😂we'd be swimming in SB trophies 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

His base defense was actually cover 3. He did run some cover 2, cover 4 & covet 6 with a little cover 1 mixed in. 4-3 base defense with under front and mixes in over. Also might see some wide 9 from him. 

Then this makes the Frazier hiring and the entire last 5 years absolutely confusing and a seemingly huge management misalignment.

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The thing he did was switch up the defense week to week, both in Philly and Carolina. I can't remember the article I read, but I believe it was a game against Peyton Manning he used 9 different defenses during the game to confuse him.

Crazy he couldnt influence Frazier to do that even a little bit then.

I truly hope we see that.

Although I do wonder how much of that came due to pressure from Reid being used to Jim Johnson, and the aggressive D background of Ron Rivera. Even stranger that he wouldnt carry that over to Frazier.

I guess we'll see! I'm here for it either way.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

No one can honestly say the Edmunds did not develop as much as was expected.  For the last 2 years there was actually comments made about

his needing to make more "impact" plays.  He just couldn't produce enough.  McDermott wants that from that position.

It's part of the more aggressive D he desires.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So this whole time he actually wanted to be running a different defense? He should have said something😂😂😂we'd be swimming in SB trophies 

First off you responded to @BillsPride12who was responding to me.  I did not say that at all, and you missed the whole point of the posts.

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You appear to have a lot more confidence in McDermott than I do, yet you're willing to admit that he left a guy who was calling his defense inadequately at the job for 5 years? That's a tough sell imo.

The Defense has not been inadequate for 5 years.  It was a top 5 defense. 

It has been the small sample size of playoff losses that did Frazier in.  That and a passive look that is unappealing to fans.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that’s a tough sell to who?  Most Bills fans I know are in favor of letting Frazier go and McD taking over. 

they tried.  They came close.  They played good d for the most part over 6 years…. Then they got out coached when it mattered most in the playoffs.  

I thought they should’ve fired Frazier after 13 seconds but I’m glad that he wasn’t retained after this year.  

So, I’ll ask again.  Who do you think McD should’ve hired to call his defense?  Would you rather Holcomb or Washington be the DC and call plays?  

Or do you think we should’ve fired him?  Because bringing in a DC that runs a different defense wasn’t an option.  

If you think he should’ve been fired, I don’t have any problem with your opinion on this.  I understand why people would want McD fired.  

If you think he should’ve hired a DC to run his defense, I have a major problem with this.  Frazier couldn’t do it with years of experience under his belt….Holcomb/Washington have shown me nothing to think they could win us a SB calling plays on d for the first time in their careers.  I’ve seen what a 1st year play caller can do on a contender.  No more.  

if you think that he should’ve hired a Dc that runs a different defense, you are clueless (and I know you’re not clueless) as to who McD is.  That was never an option.  

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No one can honestly say the Edmunds did not develop as much as was expected.  For the last 2 years there was actually comments made about

his needing to make more "impact" plays.  He just couldn't produce enough.  McDermott wants that from that position.

It's part of the more aggressive D he desires.

First off you responded to @BillsPride12who was responding to me.  I did not say that at all, and you missed the whole point of the posts.

You said it right here in the above lol

Somehow McDermott allowed Frazier to run a defense he knew to be inadequate for 5 years. I'm not buying that sorry

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

Andy Reid wasn’t all that and a bag of chips in year six, 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

that’s a tough sell to who?  Most Bills fans I know are in favor of letting Frazier go and McD taking over. 

they tried.  They came close.  They played good d for the most part over 6 years…. Then they got out coached when it mattered most in the playoffs.  

I thought they should’ve fired Frazier after 13 seconds but I’m glad that he wasn’t retained after this year.  

So, I’ll ask again.  Who do you think McD should’ve hired to call his defense?  Would you rather Holcomb or Washington be the DC and call plays?  

Or do you think we should’ve fired him?  Because bringing in a DC that runs a different defense wasn’t an option.  

If you think he should’ve been fired, I don’t have any problem with your opinion on this.  I understand why people would want McD fired.  

If you think he should’ve hired a DC to run his defense, I have a major problem with this.  Frazier couldn’t do it with years of experience under his belt….Holcomb/Washington have shown me nothing to think they could win us a SB calling plays on d for the first time in their careers.  I’ve seen what a 1st year play caller can do on a contender.  No more.  

if you think that he should’ve hired a Dc that runs a different defense, you are clueless (and I know you’re not clueless) as to who McD is.  That was never an option.  

I wouldn't have minded promoting someone from inside and I wouldnt have minded him hiring on the open market. My preference has been that he continue focusing on head coach responsibilities.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Defense has not been inadequate for 5 years.  It was a top 5 defense. 

It has been the small sample size of playoff losses that did Frazier in.  That and a passive look that is unappealing to fans.

To be fair he said "calling the defense inadequately" not that the defense has been inadequate.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You said it right here in the above lol

Somehow McDermott allowed Frazier to run a defense he knew to be inadequate for 5 years. I'm not buying that sorry

And to be fair again, it is possible for coaches to change schemes over the years. It could be that McD is looking to move away from what we have been mostly running. Not that he has been unhappy with it for 5 years.

I'll be patient. I lean more homer than not. I hope we do see a big change to the Defense. And if we do, then I'll give McD all the credit in the world.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To be fair he said "calling the defense inadequately" not that the defense has been inadequate.

And to be fair again, it is possible for coaches to change schemes over the years. It could be that McD is looking to move away from what we have been mostly running. Not that he has been unhappy with it for 5 years.

I'll be patient. I lean more homer than not. I hope we do see a big change to the Defense. And if we do, then I'll give McD all the credit in the world.

I tend to be optimistic too

But I'm now leaning skeptical of McDermott and this does nothing to alleviate that

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.