McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

Andy Reid calls the offense in KC, has won two championships so I don’t think he is wasting his time…, 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Andy Reid calls the offense in KC, has won two championships so I don’t think he is wasting his time…, 

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

I'd also add Reid has been HCing for over 20 years. He hasnt always called plays. He has enough experience to do both with one hand tied behind his back.

McD is going on year 6 and has shown he still has some skills to develop.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Still not a general fan of the philosophy even if you can show one example of it working.

I also dont think McD is the "Andy Reid of Defense".

Also, you may see that change with Nagy back as OC this year.

McDermott calling defense is what got him a HC gig in the first place…..just saying.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, streetkings01 said:

McDermott calling defense is what got him a HC gig in the first place…..just saying.

Right. And now he has a new job that has an entire set of new, higher pressure responsibilities.

Just now, Charles Romes said:

Are McDermott’s tendencies any different from the conservative play calling we have seen from Frazier?  

Seems so, yes. We were much more aggressive when he temporarily took over in 2018(?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

Focus on head coaching before you start trying to take DC responsibilities on as well

This is not a good idea imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Which was assumed. 

I’m really looking forward to this .

Me too! I think we'll see a great deal of improvement with the players we have.  He said he wanted to be more aggressive and have an edge.

I'm willing to bet he wants to really put a stamp on it....and stamp on QBs as well. The defense should finally be fun to watch.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

Are McDermott’s tendencies any different from the conservative play calling we have seen from Frazier?  

He took over play calling for 2 games or so either in 20 or 21 and it improved the D alot. 

If Elam makes that jump, our secondary will be filthy with disguises , man and zone mixed up. Seems to have a great feel for play calling 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If McDermott was planning on running the same type of D this year, he would have given the play calling to one of his minions.

I'm really thinking he is installing a new D and will hand it over to someone else next year.

If my speculation is correct, I can't see why anyone would not like this plan.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.