Taylor Rapp Signing with Bills

With this signing and many signs pointing that Hamlin will be back, have to think safety is off the table for the draft.

Now MLB and puke in my mouth DL again will probably be chosen with two of the top 4 picks.  I can live with that if they still get WR and OT in the first three rounds. They seem to have done enough to address IOL in free agency. Still need an OT to push Brown and possibly be Dawkins replacement in 2024.

• Agree 2

Just now, Coach55 said:

Contingency plan on Micah Hyde's return?

Possibly a replacement for Damar Hamlin or Jaquan Johnson

We need depth.

Also, a young player they could train up in their system and re-sign if he works out.

Spotrac gave him a market value of $10M/yr - 3 years. $30M

Did anyone else read McDermott's comments about supporting Damar Hamlin?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/26/bills-sean-mcdermott-vows-total-support-damar-hamlin-comeback

“The best thing we can do is support him all the way through this, and that is a big piece of it that is, mind, body and spirit. It’s just not physically like, hey in the weight room, it’s the mental piece as well,” McDermott told NFL Network’s Judy Battista. 

He added, “I’m ready to support him in any direction he decides to go, even if it’s last minute.”

McDermott speaking as though Hamlin may not make up his mind one way or the other until just before the season, which means the team really needs other plans at Safety.  Maybe this signing is a signal that Hamlin is leaning towards "no" at this time, or at least a season off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

He has really struggled in coverage in the past, but he is really good around the line of scrimmage. But its functional depth considering both safeties are older. I do trust McDermott when it comes to DBs. Maybe they play some big nickel? That has been a conversation pice on this board for a while here. 

Rapp did play some linebacker in the Ram's nickel sets. If you were, for instance going to draft a Jack Cambell-type linebacker, you might protect him for a year by subbing a guy like Rapp in pass situations. Maybe? I don't know. I like Rapp, good dude, seems like a weird fit with how we play our safeties. But maybe he took less money and just wants to be a part of it. That's a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 5

I think LB is a need a but not a necessity.  Get more multiple on defense.  Milano and Edmunds we both too good to take off the field.  Nickel was the best guys playing but it also made them predictable.  They put on tape every wrinkle they could come up with.  Using more dime, more 4-3 I think will actually make the defense better.  

Given the age and health of the starting safeties it’s a pretty solid pickup to snag a guy with that much starting experience to such a cheap deal. I would feel much more comfortable if he’s forced to play than if we had to trot Marlowe or Johnson back out there 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

And yet, the Rams won the 2021 superbowl with Rapp starting 17 games.

Go Figgur how such a stupid team with such bad personnel evaluation that the "average fan" can do better pulled that off.

Honestly, do you ever logically think through what you're posting here?

He views McDermott/Beane through scorned eyes.  He jumped all over the thread when Draftkings had us at 10.5 wins because it's looked as a step back.

But when they still have the Bills as #3 Super Bowl favorites, they aren't legit and Vegas just wants low hanging fruit.  So Draftkings is legit and non-legit at the same time with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

With this signing and many signs pointing that Hamlin will be back, have to think safety is off the table for the draft.

Now MLB and puke in my mouth DL again will probably be chosen with two of the top 4 picks.  I can live with that if they still get WR and OT in the first three rounds. They seem to have done enough to address IOL in free agency. Still need an OT to push Brown and possibly be Dawkins replacement in 2024.

Ehh, disagree. Nothing about this signing or Hamlin coming back stops us from drafting a Safety early. It just means we dont HAVE to. Which is how Beane likes to go into the draft. With at least "a guy" plugged into every hole.

But if Antonio Johnson is there at 27, or Jordan Battle at 59... I wouldnt be surprised to hear their names.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This could set up re-signing AJ Klein for early down work and go with 3 safeties and 3 CBs on passing downs.

Intriguing thought.  We were told our new safeties coach Joe Danna did some innovative things with the Texans   That unit was pretty good.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-joe-danna-buffalo-bills-hired-safeties-coach-demeco-ryans-josh-allen

I'll keep looking for the piece I found, but the conclusion was that the Bills may be changing up their use of LB and S and that Joe Danna and Al Holcomb were brought in to facilitate those changes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I'd say that this is the first FA signing that affects our draft needs to a significant level.  Nice move.  I still have safety as a need for the draft, but definitely not so high.

You may disagree, but many think that signing Connor McGovern and Dave Edwards changed up our draft needs at IOL

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He has really struggled in coverage in the past, but he is really good around the line of scrimmage. But its functional depth considering both safeties are older. I do trust McDermott when it comes to DBs. Maybe they play some big nickel? That has been a conversation pice on this board for a while here. 

Rapp did play some linebacker in the Ram's nickel sets. If you were, for instance going to draft a Jack Cambell-type linebacker, you might protect him for a year by subbing a guy like Rapp in pass situations. Maybe? I don't know. I like Rapp, good dude, seems like a weird fit with how we play our safeties. But maybe he took less money and just wants to be a part of it. That's a good thing. 

So one theory on the Danna and Holcomb coaching hires is that the Bills may intend to change how they play their safeties somewhat.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.