Taylor Rapp Signing with Bills

10 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hmm great point I think Milano and Edmunds were a unique pair.. a different look may be the answer in alignment 

Exactly, adjustments to scheme/alignments/play calling for personnel available, and opponents is always the correct way to address what the defense is able to do,

2 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

We need tacklers.  Last years missed tackles was embarrassing 

Yup, the Bills ranked 31st in missed tackles this past season, no where to go but up 😁👍

20 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

move Poyer into the box on a lot of looks to essentially be the MLB?

I don't think it is a stupid question, Warrior, to bring up possibilities outside the norm of what they are thinking about here above and beyond some of these guys just being safeties.

No, I don't think they should reinvent the wheel with a safety/LB hybrid, but there seems to be a little bit more of their thinking with this other than just signing a guy.

...or...really maybe it is just that...kicking the tires to see if he could turn into even half the player that Hyde and Poyer are.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Yeah, our safeties are getting older and have shown to not be immune to injury, and our new depth was a starter for a Super Bowl team before a down year on a collapsing cap-crunch team?  Sign me up.

Last year was Rapp’s best season statistically.

3 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Could go to 32nd 

Give it time…, 😁👍

12 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’d love to see them re-sign Philips

I think it’s all but signed. He had the time to seek mo’ $$ than what he knew/figured the Bills would give him. He’s back for a physical so I expect the signing when Beane returns.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm not understanding why a 2nd round pick in his 5th year, just entering his prime, would sign with a team that's already set at its two starting safety positions.

IMO looking at the age and history of our safeties he thinks A. there's a good shot to get on the field, and B. given our defensive coaching staff he thinks he's gonna have a chance to shine and make some coin next year.

I read a report that Rapp was “surprised and confused” by the 4.78 time. He said he hadn’t ran anything in the 4.7s since high school. He also said a year earlier he was timed at 4.56 and up until that 4.78 had been running consistently in the 4.5s and 4.6s. He didn’t make any excuses for the time though, no injury blame. Even though some had speculated the added muscle slowed him down, he owned it and said “it is what it is.” But put on the tape because he plays faster and is always in the right position. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly, adjustments to scheme/alignments/play calling for personnel available, and opponents is always the correct way to address what the defense is able to do,

This is actually the reason I posted a look-back to 2017, when the Bills managed to field, not a great, but a middle-of-the-road defense with Preston Brown and Ramon Humber as their LB. 

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I read a report that Rapp was “surprised and confused” by the 4.78 time. He said he hadn’t ran anything in the 4.7s since high school. He also said a year earlier he was timed at 4.56 and up until that 4.78 had been running consistently in the 4.5s and 4.6s. He didn’t make any excuses for the time though, no injury blame. Even though some had speculated the added muscle slowed him down, he owned it and said “it is what it is.” But put on the tape because he plays faster and is always in the right position. 

Yeah, probably worth pointing out that Josh Allen ran what, a 4.76 40 time?  But most players would, I think, tell you he plays faster than that time.  Allen himself joked that he runs faster when people are trying to catch him and clobber him.  Anyway, pajama Time is one thing, playing speed in cleats and pads is another.

• Like (+1) 1

Mcdermott told him-  the last two under the radar Safeties that came in here ended up making 10M per year.  You can be next, just come in and learn this year.  We’ll try some exotic packages and utilize your ability along with Poyer and Hyde at the same time.  

He’s a versatile player and gives us something we sorely missed last year- great tackling while also having the ability to cover.  Nice chess piece for a great price. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Could go to 32nd 

Hahaha!  My kind of guy!  Always seeing the upside, the positive side to every situation ; and knowing it’s very unlikely with our luck that we ever get to experience that side of life !   Yep, RAPP may interfere with our destiny to reach # 32!  😂👍.  I like the way you think , no dream is too small to be shattered ! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

From anything i've been hereing this is a great signing not only for this year incase of injuries but for the future seeing as both Hyde & Poyer are either at the end of their contracts or closer to the end of their careers than this guy .

Beane is looking to the future ! Good move ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.