Taylor Rapp Signing with Bills

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

He was my pick absolutely when i was sure Poyer was a goner to Miami.
For any limitation he might present, I expect McD to make the best use of his qualities. Smart kid and will learn Bills D quickly i expect

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Mcdermott has compromising photos 

Or a silver tongued Brandon Beane ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I wonder if 3 starting caliber safeties is due to the fact we will either have a rookie, Dodson, or Bernard starting at MLB.

We may see more 5-1-4 looks this year. 

Hmm great point I think Milano and Edmunds were a unique pair.. a different look may be the answer in alignment 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And Poyer couldnt even break into the starting lineup of a 4-12 Browns his entire 4 years with the crappy team.

Not true as Poyer started all 6 games he played in 2016.   Had a Season ending injury in game 6.  He was a starting safety for CLE coming out of camp that year.

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I wonder if 3 starting caliber safeties is due to the fact we will either have a rookie, Dodson, or Bernard starting at MLB.

We may see more 5-1-4 looks this year. 

So playing the vaunted Rex Ryan 10 man D.   

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think that JaQuan Johnson needs to be looking over his shoulder as he is likely the odd man out.  He's smaller than Rapp, and similarly slow.

Jaquan was so worried he signed wIth the Raiders last week!

• Haha (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Another place where I differ is at DL.  We currently have 3 of last year's 4 DL rotation under contract.  We don't have 2 3TDT of starting caliber on the roster, and unless we plan to extend Oliver, we will have 0 on the roster next season.  So it seems like a fairly basic roster need that has yet to be filled.  I don't agree entirely, but Ryan O'Halloran's TBN piece is pretty good:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-bills-have-stood-pat-on-defensive-line-in-free-agency-an-addition-is/article_a736556e-cbf8-11ed-ac35-2b92af8fa11c.html

Crass to follow my own post, but I got news

On Ed Oliver. Beane sounds like he plans on him being here and even mentioned extension:

Also, it's reported Jordan Phillips has been to Buffalo on a FA visit.  Since he knows the facility, I would assume that would be for a physical check and maybe a look at how he's working out, maybe a chat about the defense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Barkley is a QB asst. coach at this point. He might not make it out of camp this year. Unless Josh wants him to stay. 

We have zero DT's signed passed this year. They will draft some. 

I think we'll see a DaQuan Jones extension, and possibly from comments Beane has dropped an Ed Oliver extension.

Beane has made it clear in the past that before FA and the draft, he focuses on renegotiating contracts/extensions only as needed to generate cap.  Then after the draft, he gets busy looking at extensions.

I'm sure they'll draft DL as well, the question is where?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Spotrac gave him a market value of $10M/yr - 3 years. $30M

Did anyone else read McDermott's comments about supporting Damar Hamlin?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/26/bills-sean-mcdermott-vows-total-support-damar-hamlin-comeback

McDermott speaking as though Hamlin may not make up his mind one way or the other until just before the season, which means the team really needs other plans at Safety.  Maybe this signing is a signal that Hamlin is leaning towards "no" at this time, or at least a season off.

My gut feeling is that Hamlin will not play for the Bills again. 

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He has really struggled in coverage in the past, but he is really good around the line of scrimmage. But its functional depth considering both safeties are older. I do trust McDermott when it comes to DBs. Maybe they play some big nickel? That has been a conversation pice on this board for a while here. 

Rapp did play some linebacker in the Ram's nickel sets. If you were, for instance going to draft a Jack Cambell-type linebacker, you might protect him for a year by subbing a guy like Rapp in pass situations. Maybe? I don't know. I like Rapp, good dude, seems like a weird fit with how we play our safeties. But maybe he took less money and just wants to be a part of it. That's a good thing. 

Thanks to both you guys for consistently raising the level of discussion and adding value with every post. There's a few others who do the same and it's those good posters that make wading through all the detritus worth it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Crass to follow my own post, but I got news

On Ed Oliver. Beane sounds like he plans on him being here and even mentioned extension:

Also, it's reported Jordan Phillips has been to Buffalo on a FA visit.  Since he knows the facility, I would assume that would be for a physical check and maybe a look at how he's working out, maybe a chat about the defense?

I’d love to see them re-sign Philips

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Wondering if anyone can find positive fan posts about this guy. From what I’ve read this is an excellent signing. 

Yeah, our safeties are getting older and have shown to not be immune to injury, and our new depth was a starter for a Super Bowl team before a down year on a collapsing cap-crunch team?  Sign me up.

• Agree 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:48 PM, BillsFan130 said:

How did the Bills get him for so cheap?

Serious question 

Really is a great question; have no idea after watching the film on him how he didn’t get grabbed for a lot more.  My only thoughts are maybe they sold him on the reality of Hyde coming off neck surgery, on his last year of this contract , and Poyer is coming off multiple injuries and also could be his last year if the bills would win a SB (PER POYER).   Great chance he gets significant playing time this year and could be the starter the following year and look at the run Hyde/Poyer have had; play well as a vet and he has a shot at starting along with a good chance of extension and stability.  Great tandem to learn from , HC is great with developing defensive backfield talent , plus throw in playing on a team with a franchise qb , and maybe those factors were enough to see a bigger picture for the future and some runs at a SB.  Also , get a chance to go against great QBs conference wide. Just seems we got lucky  on this one. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Really is a great question; have no idea after watching the film on him how he didn’t get grabbed for a lot more.  My only thoughts are maybe they sold him on the reality of Hyde coming off neck surgery, on his last year of this contract , and Poyer is coming off multiple injuries and also could be his last year if the bills would win a SB (PER POYER).   Great chance he gets significant playing time this year and could be the starter the following year and look at the run Hyde/Poyer have had; play well as a vet and he has a shot at starting along with a good chance of extension and stability.  Great tandem to learn from , HC is great with developing defensive backfield talent , plus throw in playing on a team with a franchise qb , and maybe those factors were enough to see a bigger picture for the future and some runs at a SB.  Also , get a chance to go against great QBs conference wide. Just seems we got lucky this on this one. 

I agree. The guy is a solid player. I really like this pick up. I suspect it was a pretty cheap acquisition. The safety market seems pretty dry.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

It was at his pro day and he had an injury, I believe.

Correct. It's been reported he had a hip issue. 

Watch his recent tape. He's speed is fine. Not a burner but it's more than adequate. He's a solid safety. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.