Taylor Rapp Signing with Bills

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

If only we had a coach known for taking DBs who "failed" with other teams, and getting production out of them...

Wondering if anyone can find positive fan posts about this guy. From what I’ve read this is an excellent signing. 

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Why would a kid with his age and draft status sign here?  To sit behind two veterans? Maybe he’s just not good at football?  I mean, we didn’t really know much about Poyer when we signed him and that worked out pretty well, so I guess we’ll see about the RappMan 

Both Safeties are in their 30’s. Poyer coming off multiple injuries and Hyde is coming back from a spinal injury.  He fits our style of play from the position.  I could see more 3 saftey and big nickel with Rapp on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm not understanding why a 2nd round pick in his 5th year, just entering his prime, would sign with a team that's already set at its two starting safety positions.

It must mean he either didn't have better options elsewhere on the market, OR...perhaps this is sort of a one year "let's see if you're the future at this position" type signing. See how he does as the third safety on the field and how he picks up the system, and then maybe he replaces Hyde next season.

Huh. I'm happy to sign safety depth, but a little bit perplexed.

Edit: Or maybe he just stinks. That's definitely a possibility.

He would probably take over for Hyde after this season, unless Micah gets an extension? Rapp is a substantial upgrade over guys like Marlowe, Neal & Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Wondering if anyone can find positive fan posts about this guy. From what I’ve read this is an excellent signing. 

Yes i commented on it very positively at the end of a post about josh running etc.  i stated i came away very excited after i watched ERIC TURNER of cover 1 just post his film breakdown on YouTube on RAPPS great plays from last year.  It’s definitely worth the ten minute breakdown by ERIC , who showed the great tackling ( bills were 31st in missed tackles last year missing over 13%, while RAPP MISSES ABOUT ONLY 6% which is great) , his ability to stop the run, his TEcoverage ability , and his PBU /INT abilities!    This was a great film breakdown , and this guy could easily be a starter and is great insurance if Poyer has injury issues again. He looks like a great tool for mcd to use and i think this is a proven , very good system fit , and up there with the McGovern value. He actually has very positive film, not just a few plays or potential like some wr signings.  Very good acquisition, and no benefit to me by recommending ERIC TURNERS cover 1 YouTube analysis just posted.   If you have questions about RAPP, take 10 min to watch that YouTube post and you will feel more informed and intelligent for having watched it!   

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 5

PFF  comments on Rapp. (and other FA safeties). Like the tackling part.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-safety

Rapp was solid if unspectacular over his rookie contract after the Los Angeles Rams selected him in the second round in 2019, and he earned career-high grades against the run (82.3) and in coverage (72.9) in 2022. Los Angeles was comfortable lining him up all over, and he's one of those players who performs OK in various alignments but is not particularly great at any one thing. One thing that has been consistent: Rapp is a sure tackler, never missing more than 8.7% of potential tackles in a season. His 148 tackles over the past two seasons rank ninth among safeties.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RG Murdock said:

Stop, your making too much sense. Folks here tend to WAY over analyze every Bills move. Bills had no real quality backups to often injured lately P&H. This solves the issue. EZ -PZ ...... 3 paragraphs not needed.  

Sorry... fire everybody! 

1 hour ago, Bills!Win! said:

Is this the guy who proposed to his girlfriend after the Super Bowl victory? 

Yep!

19 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

How did the Bills get him for so cheap?

Serious question 

Honestly the guy hasn’t really peaked yet…if all the offers were equal, McDermott is probably the one you want molding you into the best safety you could be…plus Butler and Danna as really good secondary coaches by all accounts. So its probably about the chance to win and to become the best version of himself. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

How did the Bills get him for so cheap?

Serious question 

Super Bowl contenders, defensive coach who has had success with safeties…plus the safety market was saturated and he lost the game of musical chairs.

Pair that with some patience and perhaps good negotiation skills/good reputation and voila. 

Or maybe just Beane looks super cool in a pair of shades. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Coming out of college, he was regarded as very smart and instinctive.  The thing that limits him is his speed.  He runs the 40 between 4.6 and 4.7 seconds.  That means he's got to keep the play in front of him.  Once a receiver gets by, he doesn't have the ability to catch him.  He's also got to be right about picking angles because he's got less margin for error than a faster DB.  I think his ceiling is probably a backup.  I think that JaQuan Johnson needs to be looking over his shoulder as he is likely the odd man out.  He's smaller than Rapp, and similarly slow.

He ran a 4.78 at the combine 

8 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm not understanding why a 2nd round pick in his 5th year, just entering his prime, would sign with a team that's already set at its two starting safety positions.

It must mean he either didn't have better options elsewhere on the market, OR...perhaps this is sort of a one year "let's see if you're the future at this position" type signing. See how he does as the third safety on the field and how he picks up the system, and then maybe he replaces Hyde next season.

Huh. I'm happy to sign safety depth, but a little bit perplexed.

Edit: Or maybe he just stinks. That's definitely a possibility.

He’s the default #3 with 2 old guys in front of him, both coming off beat up seasons, with a coaching staff that’s made stars out of nobody’s.  I’d take that gamble if I’m him. There’s a strong chance he plays A LOT this year and I feel better about that vs the mess we watched there last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.