Taylor Rapp Signing with Bills

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Averaging 72% completion % against and a passer rating in coverage of over 98 is. 

He is definitely not the best in coverage but these stats can be very misleading. Most safeties will get destroyed in one on one coverage. 

I think McDermott might be the best d back coach in the nfl. I think he will get the best version of Rapp. 

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly can’t say it about all of their additions over the last few years, but I don’t question McD’s ability to identify and get the best out of his corners and safeties. He has a pretty successful track record with those positions and has earned at least that much. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

And yet, the Rams won the 2021 superbowl with Rapp starting 17 games.

Go Figgur how such a stupid team with such bad personnel evaluation that the "average fan" can do better pulled that off.

Honestly, do you ever logically think through what you're posting here?

He's quoting the article, isn't he?

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Weird use of resources considering the holes elsewhere on the team.

Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde are aging, so we need to have a plan after they are gone.

Hyde is also coming back from a neck injury, which is always questionable.

Damar Hamlin has been cleared physically, but you have to wonder about the mental aspect.

Jaquan Johnson signed with the Raiders, and Siran Neal is still a free agent.

Safety was a bigger need than many are giving it credit for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is definitely not the best in coverage but these stats can be very misleading. Most safeties will get destroyed in one on one coverage. 

I think McDermott might be the best d back coach in the nfl. I think he will get the best version of Rapp. 

Trust me with Rapp they have not been deceiving. There have been times where he has been a liability. 

I agree I think the Bills will get more out of him. Talent wise he is streets ahead of Jaquan, Damar, Lewis and Marlowe who all played meaningful snaps in 2022. I like the signing. It is a buy low gamble on natural talent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Weird use of resources considering the holes elsewhere on the team.

Did you not watch the 2022 NFL season? Here’s a recap: Hyde suffered a career-threatening cervical injury, Poyer who started strong but was injured a bunch and was a non-factor late in the season, and a guy who died on the field after making a hit. We need safety depth. It was going to come via FA or early in the draft, but it was bound to come. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Trust me with Rapp they have not been deceiving. There have been times where he has been a liability. 

I agree I think the Bills will get more out of him. Talent wise he is streets ahead of Jaquan, Damar, Lewis and Marlowe who all played meaningful snaps in 2022. I like the signing. It is a buy low gamble on natural talent. 

That’s fair. Loved this guy in college and has played in some big games. At worst, a quality, veteran backup. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And Poyer couldnt even break into the starting lineup of a 4-12 Browns his entire 4 years with the crappy team.

Players develop. Change of scenery and scheme could help.

Just sayin.

People forget that the best safety tandem in the league, even at 31, were just Packer and Brown re-treads. They just happen to be exactly what McDermott needed at safety. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm not understanding why a 2nd round pick in his 5th year, just entering his prime, would sign with a team that's already set at its two starting safety positions.

It must mean he either didn't have better options elsewhere on the market, OR...perhaps this is sort of a one year "let's see if you're the future at this position" type signing. See how he does as the third safety on the field and how he picks up the system, and then maybe he replaces Hyde next season.

Huh. I'm happy to sign safety depth, but a little bit perplexed.

Edit: Or maybe he just stinks. That's definitely a possibility.

I think this a Mitch Trubisky signing.   A guy with talent needs a reset, so he takes a one-year deal in a situation when he can do that.  

Hyde and Poyer won't be her forever, so if he shows he can operate in the system, then he becomes one of the successors at safety.  He won't have started in Buffalo (absent injury), so the other teams won't know how good he is.   That means his price in the open market will be low, just like Trubisky's was.   That means if they like what they see this season, they will be able to lock him up longer term at a relatively low price.  

• Like (+1) 1

PFF sometimes divides safeties like this:  Coverage Free, Match Strong, Box Slot.  They rank safeties in each category.  But there's a fourth category they use:  "All Around."   Here's how they ranked the All Around safeties prior to last season:

image.png.040096bd4118f3f7c4dc035b455ce248.png

They went on to say:  "Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer each fit into this category for the Buffalo Bills and together may form the best safety duo in the league. Each can line up anywhere they are needed within the scheme and playing next to one another is clearly a force multiplier for their success. Buffalo runs a scheme that puts them in position to succeed, but they take advantage of it extremely well on their own."

With Hyde and Poyer showing some fragility, it makes sense to get another safety.  Rapp seems like another All Around guy.  He can play - and has played - Free, Strong, and Box in his career.  If he needs to fill in for Hyde or Poyer, we don't need to change our defense nor do we become more predictable.  

www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-rankings-tiers-2022

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.