California Reparations

Irv

I'm surprised this has not been discussed here by now.  If it has and I missed it, apologies.  On a state level, they are proposing $360K to every African American.  My back of the envelope calculation sets this cost to be about $17.5K per non-African American resident.  I am also reading San Francisco is considering a one-time payment of $5M to each African American plus debt forgiveness, a free condo, and 250 years of guaranteed income.  It's said that it would cost each San Fransisco household $600K. 

I actually think this will make racism worse.  Why would it stop with African Americans?  I could see the same being applied to women, LGBTQ, you name it.  SF won't have a housing crisis anymore because 80% of the population will move.  And for sure, this is coming to other screwed up cities:  Chicago, Seattle, LA, Portland, NY, DC.  

What a mess.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'm surprised this has not been discussed here by now.  If it has and I missed it, apologies.  On a state level, they are proposing $360K to every African American.  My back of the envelope calculation sets this cost to be about $17.5K per non-African American resident.  I am also reading San Francisco is considering a one-time payment of $5M to each African American plus debt forgiveness, a free condo, and 250 years of guaranteed income.  It's said that it would cost each San Fransisco household $600K. 

I actually think this will make racism worse.  Why would it stop with African Americans?  I could see the same being applied to women, LGBTQ, you name it.  SF won't have a housing crisis anymore because 80% of the population will move.  And for sure, this is coming to other screwed up cities:  Chicago, Seattle, LA, Portland, NY, DC.  

What a mess.  

Im extremely hopeful this happens in San Francisco.

The only way to get rid of this level of stupidity is for it to be pursued and then fail miserably.

If sacrificing Pelosi’s backyard is what it takes, even better… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Again, a state that never had slavery giving money to people who were never slaves taken from people who never owned slaves.  That being said, I hope they do it.  SF will go down in flames.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'm curious about the eligibility rules.  Does a person that's half black and half another race other than black get a full share, a 1/2 share, or no share?  Do you need to be genetically verifiable black or can you just "identify" as being black to qualify?

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Again, a state that never had slavery giving money to people who were never slaves taken from people who never owned slaves.  That being said, I hope they do it.  SF will go down in flames.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that probably close to 90% of the people in California do not have family ties dating back anywhere near that far back. So not only did their family not own slaves in California but their family was very likely not even in America in the 1880s or beyond. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm curious about the eligibility rules.  Does a person that's half black and half another race other than black get a full share, a 1/2 share, or no share?  Do you need to be genetically verifiable black or can you just "identify" as being black to qualify?

If they have to ask they ain’t black enough! 

7 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah this is absurd.   I like to hope someone logical will step in to stop it.

Logic left the barn a long time ago in California. The entire train wreck is run on emotion now. The State is an absolute mess on every level! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This is when reasonable strength from the other aisle comes in handy

Unfortunately Ron, we haven’t seen that in a few decades now, and the results are things like the topic of this thread. Balance is a good thing in a representative government…regardless of which party is in the majority.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Im extremely hopeful this happens in San Francisco.

The only way to get rid of this level of stupidity is for it to be pursued and then fail miserably.

If sacrificing Pelosi’s backyard is what it takes, even better… 

This is the way.  

Stop pushing back on stuff like this.  Let them do it.  Then sit back and wait as every other minority starts voting Republican.  

Let them give black people priority over Latinos.  

Let them allow violence and crime in their Asian communities.  

Let them destroy education in Indian communities.  

These are all ethnic groups more socially aligned with Republicans, yet tend to vote split or lean Dem.  Let them experience the policies they truly want for them.  It’s the only way. 

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is the way.  

Stop pushing back on stuff like this.  Let them do it.  Then sit back and wait as every other minority starts voting Republican.  

Let them give black people priority over Latinos.  

Let them allow violence and crime in their Asian communities.  

Let them destroy education in Indian communities.  

These are all ethnic groups more socially aligned with Republicans, yet tend to vote split or lean Dem.  Let them experience the policies they truly want for them.  It’s the only way. 

I'd like to think you're right, but the Radical Left (Keep in mind, I'm saying this as a lifelong liberal Democrat who has been completely demoralized by the current state of our union.  :() has done a number on our kids via the educational system, social media and television.  Go watch the recent Stanford Law School "protest" of the Federalist Society meeting.  That is pretty much how every person in control of the levers of power in academia and government (especially, in California) think and behave these days.  Reason and logic have completely exited the building.  I'm starting to believe the American Cultural Revolution is upon us. 

• Agree 4

51 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'd like to think you're right, but the Radical Left (Keep in mind, I'm saying this as a lifelong liberal Democrat who has been completely demoralized by the current state of our union.  :() has done a number on our kids via the educational system, social media and television.  Go watch the recent Stanford Law School "protest" of the Federalist Society meeting.  That is pretty much how every person in control of the levers of power in academia and government (especially, in California) think and behave these days.  Reason and logic have completely exited the building.  I'm starting to believe the American Cultural Revolution is upon us. 

I completely agree.  I’m a millennial, but we’ve lost the youth.  Conservatives didn’t take seriously the threat posed by activists, culture and technology and here we are. 

…. And when we desperately need principled pushback, we’ll get Trump as the R nominee … not helping anything.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I completely agree.  I’m a millennial, but we’ve lost the youth.  Conservatives didn’t take seriously the threat posed by activists, culture and technology and here we are. 

…. And when we desperately need principled pushback, we’ll get Trump as the R nominee … not helping anything.  

There has always been a looney tunes element percolating on the far left (Marxists, race grifters, anarchists, etc.) just as there has been on the far right (fascists, nazi's, etc.).  Thankfully, the worst of us were kept at bay by a reasonable majority of people who, while they didn't always agree, still viewed each other fundamentally as "Americans" and entitled to their opinions and beliefs.  But Trump's election and presidency, COVID, George Floyd and Jan. 6th were sort of a perfect storm that hardened divisions and drove people to extremes (I somewhat blame Obama too for fanning the flames of racial division in the aftermath of Ferguson and Trayvon).  Now we've reached a point where those of us who would dare call for a return to sanity are quickly decried as racists,  white supremacists, bigots or misogynists (i.e., any Dem that would dare point out the logical fallacies of "Anti-Racism" or criticize the rise of grievance academia) or "cucks" (Republicans who don't support the Trumps, Boberts and MTGs of the world).  For most of us, it's just not worth pushing back and risking the blowback.  Cowardly? Sure.  But, it's just easier to remain silent when you've got something to lose.  It's really disheartening.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This is a really level discussion.  I was saying to some co-workers the other day.  When did our society become so binary?    there has to be some middle ground. but these #######s in DC don't want that.  They just want the teeter totter totally on their side.  This includes Democrats and Republicans.  What a sad mess.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

It's probably not being discussed here because aside from "Josh Allen is pretty good" it might be the one topic you'd actually get consensus on at TBD.

It's an absurdly dumb idea, possibly dangerous and will only serve to continue to divide.

Edited by yall
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1