Scouting Report Daiyan Henley ILB rounds 2-3

PrimeTime101

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

At the College Level

Toughness and speed are words used when talking about Henley. Last Season he had 106 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, broken up pass and an INT. Considered a 3 down starter and runs a 4.54(second best among the top 5 ILBS in draft) at the senior bowl he shined in coverage using his 33" arms(tops among the top 5). We are talking about a football smart ILB that many feel his head is on a swivel while out there. 

Size

6'1

225LBS

33" Arms

Pro's

Explosive first step

Not just fast but quick too

Athletic

Has a good eye in coverage

Athletic

High upside

Explosive Finisher (Flawless victory, Fatality :D )  no, but seriously, this is where I thought we lacked with Edmunds.

Con's

He is not a traditional ILB (loves coverage style defenses more than blitzing)

He needs to learn the art of being a stack ILB

Raw

Needs work with hitting the right gap (Don't panic and think of Edmunds same issue here... this is very common for a young ILB)

Footwork 

Does not read QB's eyes well (this is a good and bad thing) It means he does not jump on plays as much, but it also means he does not bite as much either.

I think this one could fall right into our lap. 2-3 round projections.. as far as I am concerned? winner winner, chicken dinner

So....how does this guy differ from Terrel Bernard other than 2 3/4" more arm length and a 0.05 second faster 40-time?

If we're gonna draft an undersize linebacker in the 2 or 3rd round....didn't we do that last season?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daiyan-henley/32004845-4e46-6212-4f0a-603906125b28

I got to admit I scratch my head a bit at one 6'1, 224 lb guy being described as an "Undersized sub-package nickel linebacker with special-teams value on the next level." while another 6'1", 225 lb guy gets described as "A rambunctious inside linebacker with good speed and toughness"

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so More Polished I agree. Bigger? Faster? Wrong on bigger. 1 inch taller but my man has the longer arms. He may be faster but not quicker. not close

I gotta disagree. Simpson is almost 2 inches taller, 10 lbs heavier, and has bigger hands. Arms are little over half an inch shorter. Henley has a better broad jump, but all the other numbers Simpson has him beat. Simpson is just better on every level. I'm not saying I am against Henley as a pick, but I have Campell, Simpson, Sanders, large gap, Henley, Sewell etc. 

image.thumb.png.523a8286ab7b7ebcf80eb5378c57db2f.png

Just to add, he has Campbell beat on the 40, but the 10 and 20-yard split is exactly the same. So henley has better long speed. Campbell has him beat everywhere else as well. Henley also has longer rams than Campbell. 

image.thumb.png.43530d010258d1c2b8dfdfbf098e4ac1.png

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

His size worries me especially when we already have a small guy in Matt Milano. That said we don't need another Edmunds but like to see a MLB in the 6'3 235 range. I'd also like to see us run a more traditional 4-3 as while Taron Johnson an above average nickel CB am not sure it's best to have smaller guys on the field in potential running plays. 

Then you want Overshown, he's the size you want and is a former safety.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I gotta disagree. Simpson is almost 2 inches taller, 10 lbs heavier, and has bigger hands. Arms are little over half an inch shorter. Henley has a better broad jump, but all the other numbers Simpson has him beat. Simpson is just better on every level. I'm not saying I am against Henley as a pick, but I have Campell, Simpson, Sanders, large gap, Henley, Sewell etc. 

image.thumb.png.523a8286ab7b7ebcf80eb5378c57db2f.png

Just to add, he has Campbell beat on the 40, but the 10 and 20-yard split is exactly the same. So henley has better long speed. Campbell has him beat everywhere else as well. Henley also has longer rams than Campbell. 

image.thumb.png.43530d010258d1c2b8dfdfbf098e4ac1.png

Im going to throw a fourth name into this discussion and it’s Yasir Abdullah from Louisville. He played both on and off the ball at Louisville and was really an exceptional pass rusher for them. But he is small and will be served best if a team takes him under their wing and make him off ball the entire time. 

His RAS is top notch as well:

And watching him, he has shown me a lot of flashes of what you want from your Linebacker. Maybe the most impressive is blanketing a WR on a wheel route for the pick:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx8512w6wUZTinKx_HIWg-esTnSZ6CTU3p

He had himself a game against FSU, blowing up one screen coming from the other side of the field

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLn9kCB_OiotUc4cPDDVWczTP_mfdx6Pt

One screen where he avoided the lineman

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxYnZf9c3C150Jx62v0fhgglaZWo48ARIe

and two interceptions, this one was a bit more impressive watching the QBs eyes:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxKbXim2QpIg6zlTdedDFumv87Mid3kq-9

And was able to chase down the speedy Sean Tucker on a screen pass out of the backfield.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWGZTnythkHIZ0dg0g7VrDpiDsI8r1iEt

I think he may last until day 3 due to his tweener status but he would be a great addition to our LB room, especially if he gets to sit a year to focus on off ball LB. Plus he adds pass rush which is a nice bonus

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Washington State is a small school?  Asking....my knowledge of the college football pecking order is slim.

It's not a small school.  WSU a mid-level school in a power five conference.  Not a team that regularly goes to major bowls, but definitely not a bottom-feeder, either.

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe this isn't fair of me, but I'm done with small front 7 players. Every year in the playoffs our defense gets pushed around by physical offenses. We need more size and physicality in the middle of our defense.

I have had this thought for a while.  I think when they were players themselves, both Beane and McDermott were undersized players who overachieved for their size.  They have also seen the success of players like Kyle Williams.  So I think they are both "it's the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight" type talent evaluators.

And there's something to that.  I'm told on very good authority by a very big man that much more of football than fans think is mental, not physical.

But in the big games, where both teams are very good and willing to play hard and have similar athleticism and skill, the "M" part of the old "F = MA" equation comes into play.  IMO, the Bills OL and DL in the Superbowl years tended towards undersized great players, and was one factor behind the SB losses.

I am concerned that Beane and McDermott overvalue smaller players.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

This is so far from the truth. but you have the right to your opinion.

I freely admit that I do not follow college football, but when I read his draft report it has Edmunds-esque language.  Help my understand how the Edmunds comparison is far from the truth:

"Henley’s playing style can be described as more active than instinctive. His inconsistency in reading keys and anticipating the play flow is mitigated somewhat by his speed and talent to wrap and finish in space. He has excellent range and does a nice job of stepping downhill to challenge blockers and running lanes. There are some eye-catching production totals in the takeaway column and favorable physical elements to his game, but inefficient movement combined with recognition delays could push him toward a backup and core special teams role in the future."

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I will be surprised if Bernard isn't the starter

It would be very odd if the Bills drafted him in the 3rd with no plans to develop him as a starter on D.

Beane certainly sounded as though starting Bernard at MLB might be a consideration. 

And I repeat the question (to the multitudes, not just you) I asked above:

Different language is used in the scouting reports, but how is this guy Daiyan Henley different from Terrel Bernard, except for 2 3/4" longer arms and a 0.05s faster 40 time?

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I honestly don’t know why we’re so down on Bernard? Such a mystery to me.

If there’s no reason to be down on him? Then there’s likely no reason to replace him. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You do not want this player in Buffalo

Pretty sure I do. He’s my number 1 LB I’d want on this team from the rookie class to replace Edmunds. He seems to be the anti-Edmunds which is why I like him so much. Please tell me why I don’t want him. 

59 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Washington State is a small school?  Asking....my knowledge of the college football pecking order is slim.

i don't think it's in the same tier as almost all SEC, B10 schools. there are "smaller" big schools across the country and it is only opinion but i don't consider a school like Washington State to be much different than a MAC school.

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Noah Sewell is the softest big LB I've seen in a long time and he processes terribly. He is not his brother. 

I mean, his brother is an OL at 330lb. So I hope he’s not like his brother. 

from PFF:

HEIGHT

6' 1"

WEIGHT

CLASS

So.

Where he wins: Manhandling

Like his older brother, Penei, Noah is a certified ass-kicker. To look like a man among boys at only 20 years old is not something you see every day. He’s the most powerful linebacker in the class, and it isn’t close.

What’s his role: Blitz-heavy LB/edge?

If you’re not blitzing Sewell five or more times a game, you’re not getting the most out of his skill set. He doesn’t have ideal length, but it’d be interesting to see what his raw power can do at edge rusher, as well.

What can he Improve: Coverage awareness

Sewell gets caught staring at quarterbacks a good bit. Oregon did its best to take him out of a coverage-first role, and the NFL would be wise to do the same.

pretty sure that’s exactly what I want out of a MLB. Exactly everything that Edmunds wasn’t 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I mean, his brother is an OL at 330lb. So I hope he’s not like his brother. 

from PFF:

HEIGHT

6' 1"

WEIGHT

CLASS

So.

Where he wins: Manhandling

Like his older brother, Penei, Noah is a certified ass-kicker. To look like a man among boys at only 20 years old is not something you see every day. He’s the most powerful linebacker in the class, and it isn’t close.

What’s his role: Blitz-heavy LB/edge?

If you’re not blitzing Sewell five or more times a game, you’re not getting the most out of his skill set. He doesn’t have ideal length, but it’d be interesting to see what his raw power can do at edge rusher, as well.

What can he Improve: Coverage awareness

Sewell gets caught staring at quarterbacks a good bit. Oregon did its best to take him out of a coverage-first role, and the NFL would be wise to do the same.

pretty sure that’s exactly what I want out of a MLB. Exactly everything that Edmunds wasn’t 

He's not like his brother when it comes to a certified ass kicker. He's an old school 2 down LB who can't cover, misses too many tackles, and is slow to read and react. His combine was either average or below average compared to his peers. The only area he was upper echelon was bench and this is not a particularly strong LB class to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He's not like his brother when it comes to a certified ass kicker. He's an old school 2 down LB who can't cover, misses too many tackles, and is slow to read and react. His combine was either average or below average compared to his peers. The only area he was upper echelon was bench and this is not a particularly strong LB class to begin with. 

I’ll take longer looks at anyone over 225lbs. Which is like 4 guys in this LB class that are worth a crap. I’d take my chances with Sewell in the 4th or later instead of some undersized guy (Bernard Jr) any earlier. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.