Scouting Report Daiyan Henley ILB rounds 2-3

PrimeTime101

At the College Level

Toughness and speed are words used when talking about Henley. Last Season he had 106 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, broken up pass and an INT. Considered a 3 down starter and runs a 4.54(second best among the top 5 ILBS in draft) at the senior bowl he shined in coverage using his 33" arms(tops among the top 5). We are talking about a football smart ILB that many feel his head is on a swivel while out there. 

Size

6'1

225LBS

33" Arms

Pro's

Explosive first step

Not just fast but quick too

Athletic

Has a good eye in coverage

Athletic

High upside

Explosive Finisher (Flawless victory, Fatality :D )  no, but seriously, this is where I thought we lacked with Edmunds.

Con's

He is not a traditional ILB (loves coverage style defenses more than blitzing)

He needs to learn the art of being a stack ILB

Raw

Needs work with hitting the right gap (Don't panic and think of Edmunds same issue here... this is very common for a young ILB)

Footwork 

Does not read QB's eyes well (this is a good and bad thing) It means he does not jump on plays as much, but it also means he does not bite as much either.

I think this one could fall right into our lap. 2-3 round projections.. as far as I am concerned? winner winner, chicken dinner

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Great discussion/post.

There's a handful of these "undersized" LBs coming out this year, who are athletic but are they fits at MLB in our scheme?

To me, we just drafted a similar player (maybe not as talented) in Bernard LY.   

Big unknown what McDermott is looking to do at this position.  Personally, I'd be surprised if we draft this style of player.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

At the College Level

Toughness and speed are words used when talking about Henley. Last Season he had 106 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, broken up pass and an INT. Considered a 3 down starter and runs a 4.54(second best among the top 5 ILBS in draft) at the senior bowl he shined in coverage using his 33" arms(tops among the top 5). We are talking about a football smart ILB that many feel his head is on a swivel while out there. 

Size

6'1

225LBS

33" Arms

Pro's

Explosive first step

Athletic

Athletic

High upside

Explosive Finisher (Flawless victory, Fatality :D )  no, but seriously, this is where I thought we lacked with Edmunds.

Con's

Raw

Needs work with hitting the right gap (Don't panic and think of Edmunds same issue here... this is very common for a young ILB)

Footwork 

Does not read QB's eyes well (this is a good and bad thing) It means he does not jump on plays as much, but it also means he does not bite as much either.

I think this one could fall right into our lap. 2-3 round projections.. as far as I am concerned? winner winner, chicken dinner

So Henley is a player I've got my eye on as well, and is THE reason I thought that maybe we should consider a NOSE Tackle in this draft.  My concern is his ability to sort through the trash and make the tackle in the run game, and he might not give the needed pass rush ability in down the middle.  Henley will need a GREAT defensive line in front of him, in order for his attributes at MLB to really shine.  He could be exposed a bit if our DL can't hold up against the run, and I'm not sure if he would be effective as a pass rusher in that case as well....

BUT, since this is a pass-happy league, his coverage skills.  Arguably the BEST MLB prospect in that regard.

Henley is my safeguard second rounder if we don't land MLB in round 1 (or in a trade down scenario).  Jack Campbell is the most well rounded (but Henley beats him in coverage).

Edited by Yantha

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

At the College Level

Size

6'1

225LBS

33" Arms

Pro's

Explosive first step

Athletic

Athletic

High upside

Con's

Raw

Footwork 

You might want to mention somewhere in your detailed and informative post the name of the college team for which this prospect played…many here probably have not heard of him.

58 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

At the College Level

Size

6'1

225LBS

33" Arms

Pro's

Explosive first step

Athletic

Athletic

High upside

Con's

Raw

Footwork 

His size worries me especially when we already have a small guy in Matt Milano. That said we don't need another Edmunds but like to see a MLB in the 6'3 235 range. I'd also like to see us run a more traditional 4-3 as while Taron Johnson an above average nickel CB am not sure it's best to have smaller guys on the field in potential running plays. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Washington State. Played previously at Nevada.

A decent bio:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Daiyan-Henley-LB-Nevada

Nice profile, but they don’t mention his DOB.  Looks like he’ll probably be 24 years old before the start of the season.  When combined with his size, that makes him a day-3 guy, I think.

26 minutes ago, wppete said:

Nice breakdown but you did  it let us know what school he is from. 

Un. Nevada

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Appears to be a great athlete who's learning the LB position.

Endured 5 years of that with Edmunds.  Henley as a starter?  Not a chance.  The 2023 Bills can't afford that OTJ training.

I agree. this is a guy you want to bring in to compete. he is not a plug n play ILB round 1 early 2.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.