Bills Draftees Don't Contribute Much

hondo in seattle

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

McDermott’s distrust of rookies has been chronicled before. 

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Josh Allen, Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds, Taron Johnson, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox, Gabe Davis, Gregory Rousseau, and Christian Benford all disagree with you.

Tyler Bass too :) .  You unfortunately can add Cody Ford and Zay Jones to that list who played every game their rookie year.  I believe Spencer Brown played most of his rookie year as a starter.  The deeper your roster is the less you need to rely on rookies as we have the third most wins over the last five seasons.  I will say though the reluctance to give Shakir and Elam more reps last year was frustrating.  Making Elam a healthy scratch at the Pats is still one of the enigmas of last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

When you have a good team. Your rookies ain’t gonna see much time. 

there are so many other ways to acquire and retain  talent that hinder rookie playing time that skew the OP metric

trades, free agent, extending your own players

as far as drafting goes, here's a recap of recent first round picks (not to shabby)

2017 - tre white

2018 - josh allen

2018 - tremaine edmunds

2019 - ed oliver

2021 - greg rousseau

2022 - kaiir elam

16 minutes ago, papazoid said:

there are so many other ways to acquire and retain  talent that hinder rookie playing time that skew the OP metric

trades, free agent, extending your own players

as far as drafting goes, here's a recap of recent first round picks (not to shabby)

2017 - tre white

2018 - josh allen

2018 - tremaine edmunds

2019 - ed oliver

2021 - greg rousseau

2022 - kaiir elam

Now do rounds 2-7

Wow Vegas is a ridiculous outlier. And they have had more than their fair share of first rounders.  Indictment on Mayock and a good lesson on what a media clown is actually capable of.  

as far as the bills I think you have to consider the roster going into the draft.  The bills have not had huge holes I. Recent years. They have a good deep roster so it’s harder for a rookie ti get snaps.  I think will start changing 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Confusing tweet as I'm assuming it's the number of snaps the players we drafted in the last five years played for us.

Tweet seems pretty straightforward to mean the part that is bolded from your statement. The tweet itself says "total snaps".   I am not sure why anyone would read it to mean "during their rookie year", since there is no mention of rookie or first year and the number do not seem to make sense for only rookie years. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Tyler Bass too :) .  You unfortunately can add Cody Ford and Zay Jones to that list who played every game their rookie year.  I believe Spencer Brown played most of his rookie year as a starter.  The deeper your roster is the less you need to rely on rookies as we have the third most wins over the last five seasons.  I will say though the reluctance to give Shakir and Elam more reps last year was frustrating.  Making Elam a healthy scratch at the Pats is still one of the enigmas of last year.

Remember when McD pulled Cook after a fumble at the start and went on to say that he didn't want it to fester on his mind, make him over think/over try and hurt his confidence. He believed it best to work the rookies in slow. I believe that the case with Shakir. I know it sounds backwards, but he's the coach, I am not.

That being said, I think Shakir is gonna be a star for us and have a very high catch vs. target rate. BTW, wasn't Diggs a 5th rd. pick?

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Not surprising. Buffalo has brought in a bunch of players that became mainstays here. Hyde, Poyer, Beasley, Brown, Diggs, Morse. Hughes was already here & played for 4 of those 5 years. 

Looking over tne list one thing is for certain..being in the top 10 or bottom 10 doesn't dictate success or failure. There's a mixed bag in both groups.

Yep.  Goes to show you that the free agency is about equally important!

The under usage of Elam and Cook last year was criminal. Both guys were the best players at their position and neither could see the field. Shakir flashed every-time he got a shot and you forgot he was on the team for most of the season. McDermott is a great Coach Monday through Saturday. On game day, between roster management and in game decision making….he’s below average 

8 hours ago, Yantha said:

Shakir DESERVED way more playing time in his rookie season.

I don’t disagree, Shakir certainly should have been used more, being his competition in the slot position was pretty poor throughout the majority of the season, its hard to get better in game situations when you don’t get a lot of opportunities in game situations…, 

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We rely too much on FA's. Beane needs to draft a lot better this year because we will have to give this year's rookie class a lot more snaps than usual. We also need last year's rookies like Elam, Shakir, Benford to really step up. I think Cook will always be a part time contributor. RB's that aren't good at pounding it up between the Tackles are of limited use. Bernard was just a bad pick.

Cook has never proven to be anything but a role/situational player, I have no idea why we drafted him they with so many other needs.  

There's a lot of implicit criticism of McD in this thread.  IMO this Draft is going to make or break both Beane & McD, maybe not immediately, but re: their next contacts anyway if Pegula can't pull the plug.  

Here's the thing, besides Allen, they don't have a single pick that has even approached consistently stepping up come playoff time.  Not one.  That's a huge problem.  

Davis is the biggest one, and even some of McBeane's most ardent supporters are ready to throw him overboard.  

The division is tightening up, all it's going to take for a barrage of criticism to befall McD & Beane is a 2nd place finish in the division, or getting booted from the playoffs again in the Wild Card or D rounds.  

I'd take a 9-8 finish with a wild-card berth and a Super Bowl win over 17-0 season and a Divisional round loss anytime.  

We seem to be overly focused on regular season performance regardless of playoff outcomes.  

5 hours ago, par73 said:

If the Bills want to maintain their standing in the league, they are going to have to start drafting really well. Far too many misses-- especially on the DL.

The playoff performances of our drafted DL players in particular is heavily problematic.  

Im not sure this stat means a whole lot for all reasons already listed. I think maybe it does show that Beane is not infallable. He has hits and misses. 

As for Shakir he deserved more time simply because McKenzie should never have been out there, ever... I digress.

I like Shakir and his potential and am rooting for him but hes a check down guy at this point. He has not shown any significant ability to get seperation yet. Sure he can sit in a soft zone as the 3rd checkdown, but I wonder how that would change if we had to rely on him as an every down slot guy. He'll be rotational again this year too.

Go Bills!

Edited by babulator

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.