Your choice as of today, for Pick #27, limited to players who are likely available to select?

Chaos

Among these players who would be your pick at #27  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Among these players who would be your pick at #27

• Anton Harrison OT
    • Darnell Wright OT
    • Dawand Jones OT
    • Jalin Hyatt WR
    • Josh Downs WR
    • Zay Flowers WR
    • O'Cyrus Torrence G
    • Drew Sanders LB
    • Trenton Simpson LB
    • Jack Campbell LB
    • Best Defensive Lineman or Cornerback available.
    • Dalton Kincaid TE
    • Michael Mayer TE
    • Will McDonald IV Edge
    • Bijan Johnson
    • Brian Branch, S/CB
    • Joey Porter CB

It isn't that difficult of a decision, to me at least... and its a few choices.  Most have already said them.

You can either use 27 on shoring up the RT problem or get Edmunds replacement.  on the former, Wright or Harrison should work. Both spent time before last season working on weak points.  Wright worked on his footwork, Harrison on his core strength.  Both showed improvement. Unless you are 95% sure that Brown is going to be vastly improved, you need to fix the position.  Simply saying, "He'll be better", isn't enough.

The other direction is finding Edmunds replacement.  Campbell is the obvious choice. He makes up for being a tick slower over 40 yards by diagnosing a play earlier.  I strongly doubt he's slower over 20 yards, which is where 95% of his play will come.  That's the only starter missing from the 2022 defense.  And that is getting Hyde back.

If you take a RT first, there are a few choices, like Overshown, Henley or Dorian Willams, who could be good but need work.

If you take a LB first, Bergeron from Syracuse is going to be one of the few choices left.  He looked good at the Senior Bowl and some think he could be a better guard.  The BIlls were working him out at his Pro Day.  after that...idk. If they don't get one of those 3 at RT, it will be a wasted opportunity.

But most importantly, you have to ignore those tired cliches, such as:

-you don't draft a RT in the 1st round (makes no sense for a variety of reasons);

-you don't take a 2nd round prospect in the 1st (more likely than not, you WILL be taking a 2nd round prospect in the 1st round);

-I like him in the 2nd, but not the 1st (see above);

-we can find one in the later round (maybe at LB, but the chances aren't good at tackle, the chances of finding, say a WR who can contribute are better in the later rounds).

And most importantly, don't overthink it.  The holes to fill are far less than in the past.  Fix them...first. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, mrags said:

No TEs to choose from out of the bunch? Not a single one? There’s no way that Meyer, Kincaid, Washington, and Musgrove all went prior to 27. 

As the original post mentions, the top four posiitions identified as targets were WR, G, OT and LB.  Only 3% identifed TE as a need (and it was a multiple choice question). That is why TEs are not included. Sometimes when building a consensus, you don't get your way. 

image.thumb.png.9f2ed54e632e62c067c4e4d53f668be8.png

I'm also on the protect Josh at all costs train ...

Anton Harrison - Played LT all the way thru both HS and college, could he switch to RT ? ...maybe, but if not Dawkins would have to be moved

Dawand Jones - RT only prospect ? ... Could he beat out Brown as a starter ? ... A first round pick on a swing Tackle is a bit high.

Darnell Wright  - has played LT and RT at Tennessee moving him to the top of my list, I just don't believe he'll be there at #27.

Cook, Harris and Hines running behind O'Cyrus Torrence could be fun to watch as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is Brooks top 5 by position: 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-top-five-2023-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position-2-0-qb-hooker-above-r

I voted for OT Wright, who he describes as follows: 

"At 6-5 and 333 pounds, Wright is a big edge blocker with heavy hands and a nasty temperament. The Tennessee product mauls opponents at the point of attack while flashing enough balance and body control to be effective as a road grader or pass protector on the quarterback's front side."

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I think if we talk about overall priorities  on this team, our number 1 overall is Josh Allen.  We should aim to have the best line in the NFL blocking for Allen before we do anything else.  In addition, not worth reaching in first round for a guard.  Answer has to be the best tackle in the draft for our RT spot.

Wright is the right answer.

Could just be me but I don’t care who it is, as long as they actually play the guy all season long, a first rounder who isn’t starting is a wasted pick. 

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t wanna get pigeonholed into drafting a linebacker in the first round

Would much rather go after ol

It seems clear that no consensus is likely to develop among TBD posters.   Bills seem to be in an awkward situtation.   

At this point either trading up to 11-15, in an effort to get one of the top 3 OTs or any trade down scenario seems preferable to staying at 27.  Sadly, the Bills can't really control this. 

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Almost 100% agree, because in the right trade, it seems you could still get one of those three and something else. I prefer Campbell to Simpson though. 

Campbell isn't as talented as Simpson and is less of a fit in this defense. I know some people hope they change the defensive scheme. I don't. That isn't the problem. Doesn't mean I hate Campbell. If they traded back and took him I'd support that I think.... but probably less so if Simpson was on the board.

The poll itself is something of an indication of the difficulty of the choice.  There's really no slam dunk pick that is likely to be available.  I picked Darnell Wright because he had a strong combine.  He's a fairly athletic OT and the Bils may want to hedge their bet on the right tackles they already have (Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle).  I didn't pick Jack Campbell because I think he's a reach at #27.  I wouldn't expect him to get drafted much before the middle of round 2, but that's just me.    I don't want to draft another smallish WR to come in and compete at what I think is already a decent group at slot receiver. So I'm not going to pick Flowers or Downs.  Hyatt is a bit bigger and I wouldn't mind him  I think he'd be comfortable inside or outside.  I also wouldn't mind Simpson or Sanders, though Simpson has slipped in recent weeks.  He may be more of a second rounder at this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a lot else. I just don't see them in anyone else either. It's a ***** draft.

Yeah I agree.  That’s why I think getting the best pass blocker in the draft makes more sense than anything.  I think Hyatt is really hit or miss.  While harrison isn’t a sure thing, I think , at worst, he’s an average pass blocker…. Which is 100x better than Spencer Brown.  There’s still hope for brown…. But I think going with brown and quess will end our season prematurely and is a really stupid move.  

Although I think Darnell should be the pick, I think Beane is still going to hold onto hope that Spencer takes a big step...which is def possible.

Ideal world (current players):

1. RT: Brown steps up, and becomes our future.

2. WR: Shakir becomes our defacto #2, from the slot, and Harty/Sherfield play above their contract.

3. MLB: Bernard surprises and is ready to be a good, not great, starter

4. OG: Connor plays to his contract, David or Bates solidifies the RG position.

5. DT: Ed has a huge year, in a contract season, and Daquan shows out again.  Settle brings more pass rush juice, aka Healthy Phillips

If we look at above and say what is least likely to occur/becomes our biggest concern:

1. MLB

2. RT

3. WR

4. DT

5. OG

As of now, that is likely our focus areas to align value/need in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.