Calais Campbell *update beane said no visit scheduled

Reed83HOF

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Perfect mentor for Groot - same body type.

This. Groot could learn a lot from him about how to maximize leverage and set up pass rushing moves with reach. Epenesa at 6’5” could probably learn some things too. If Campbell is willing to be a mentor this could be a boon going forward for the younger pass rushers. 

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He’s too old… AJ Epinesa had more sacks than he did last season.  Unless Campbell signs the vet minimum I will passs

Campbell wouldn't be brought in primarily for his pass rush. Epenesa is irrelevant to this discussion.

15 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yea idk why people are talking about him as a DE. He’d be a moveable chess piece for sure but he’d slot as a 3T here 

Yes, Baltimore plays a base 3-4 defense. Campbell would likely play inside on passing downs. He has 57 passes defensed and 9 blocked field goals in his career. He effectively blocks passing lanes.

What Campbell brings to the table at this point is leadership, toughness and a high football IQ.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

This. Groot could learn a lot from him about how to maximize leverage and set up pass rushing moves with reach. Epenesa at 6’5” could probably learn some things too. If Campbell is willing to be a mentor this could be a boon going forward for the younger pass rushers. 

Don't we already have an older experienced vet on the roster, to mentor the younger pass rushers?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

What Campbell brings to the table at this point is leadership, toughness and a high football IQ.

What I need a a great player besides von on this dl and we don't have that. I don't need an older vet, I need a legit great football player 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

What I need a a great player besides von on this dl and we don't have that. I don't need an older vet, I need a legit great football player 

Yes, I'm lukewarm at best about Campbell.

However, one thing that hasn't come up in these hundreds of pages of free agent conversations is that there is a legit point to be made for "incremental improvement." Of course everyone wants the splash signing for a "difference maker."

I understand that signings like the Bills have done so far don't move the needle but what happens if a team like the Bills is successful at improving 4-5 positions during one offseason?

• Agree 1

The way to look at a Calais Campbell signing is whether he's a better value and has a greater impact than Shaq Lawson.

1 minute ago, Billsfanatixs said:

The meeting was terrible, his wife hates the area and his kids said the school looks dingy

And to top it off he was rushed to the hospital for an emergency surgery which was unsuccessful.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.