Calais Campbell *update beane said no visit scheduled

Reed83HOF

On 3/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, Beck Water said:

Don't we already have an older experienced vet on the roster, to mentor the younger pass rushers?

Yup, a 6’ 3” 250 pound future HOFer whose pass rushing moves don’t directly translate to Rouseau’s body type and physical tool kit. I’m all for an extra vet that can help younger guys improve, particularly if they come at a low ring chasing price and can effectively fill the same role in McDermotts rotation. If you prefer Jonathan, Shaq or a rookie to fill that role I understand…. I just don’t have the faith in Eric Washington to expect improvements there. 🤷‍♂️ 

14 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Campbell has been Rousseau's mentor for a while. Since at least college. 

Didn’t know that

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agree with the top part.

the bottom part is crap-  I’m probably Jerry’s biggest fanboy on the site and I’ve never said he was dominant.   He’s a good pass rusher-  much better than anyone we have not named Miller and Rousseau.  Not dominant. Good.  

who has said he’s dominant?  Or are you exaggerating?

Settle down lil bro. It was a comment in general.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Campbell, 36, was released by the Baltimore Ravens this offseason after making 14 starts with the team in 2022. Last season, the defensive lineman recorded 36 total tackles (4 TFL), 5.5 sacks, 14 QB hits, two passes defensed and two forced fumbles. If signed by the Bills, the 3-time All-Pro would not count against the Bills in terms of 2024 compensatory picks.

Those numbers ai't bad for an old guy. For a low cost, I liked him as depth and a mentor to Groot.

The bolded numbers above need context. Therefore, for my value added contribution of the day I present:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CampCa99.htm

After averaging about 80% of snaps in his first 8 seasons, Campbell has averaged about 61% of snaps in his last 3 seasons.

22 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

"The meeting broke into fisticuffs, voodoo blood curses, and a released a zombie plague that threatens all of humanity.  Other than that, it went well."

Then what happened?

22 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

How many mentors do they need?

According to Pro Football Focus, for the average 8 person defensive line group, there should be 1.7 to 2.3 mentors.

21 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Most school teachers I had sucked …

So now that the smoke has cleared on the mentor vs teacher discussion, what is the moral of the story?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, Process said:

He'll be 37 when the season starts

Every once in a while there are those generational talents that come along & age doesn't slow them much & the wisdom they acquire while developing their craft allows them to do extraordinary things well into a later age like Brady, Miller, & Campbell is another one of those extraordinary athletes .

I would love to see him teamed up with Von on the Bills D !! 

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Every once in a while there are those generational talents that come along & age doesn't slow them much & the wisdom they acquire while developing their craft allows them to do extraordinary things well into a later age like Brady, Miller, & Campbell is another one of those extraordinary athletes .

I would love to see him teamed up with Von on the Bills D !! 

PFFFT!  Yeah right🙄    Signed Bruce Smith

57 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I would say Von was working out quite well, until the ACL.  

I thought Von was phenomenal, and had the potential to transform this team much like Diggs. However, the story of Von in Buffalo has yet to be written. That acquisition didn’t achieve what Beane hoped. Miller was brought in to win a title, and he wasn’t even on the field in the playoffs. Now we have a 34 year old coming off an ACL injury. It’s yet to be seen if he’s the same player. I didn’t mind adding Miller, but it’s worth pointing out the terrible luck Beane has with signing veteran players. We need to draft better. Allen should be surrounded with teammates who can be around for a future title run, personally I’d be done with thirty something former superstars. 

8 minutes ago, nosejob said:

PFFFT!  Yeah right🙄    Signed Bruce Smith

I think comparing Bruce Smith and Reggie White type players with Calais Campbell is a bit of a reach though. I’ve seen Campbell compared to several Hall of Fame guys here. They were players with a much different style. Campbell isn’t going to transform this defense imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I thought Von was phenomenal, and had the potential to transform this team much like Diggs. However, the story of Von in Buffalo has yet to be written. That acquisition didn’t achieve what Beane hoped. Miller was brought in to win a title, and he wasn’t even on the field in the playoffs. Now we have a 34 year old coming off an ACL injury. It’s yet to be seen if he’s the same player. I didn’t mind adding Miller, but it’s worth pointing out the terrible luck Beane has with signing veteran players. We need to draft better. Allen should be surrounded with teammates who can be around for a future title run, personally I’d be done with thirty something former superstars. 

I think comparing Bruce Smith and Reggie White type players with Calais Campbell is a bit of a reach though. I’ve seen Campbell compared to several Hall of Fame guys here. They were players with a much different style. Campbell isn’t going to transform this defense imo. 

PFFFFT 😂 He'd be better than Ed Oliver even at 36 just saying ...

Edited by T master

On 3/25/2023 at 7:52 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Scary thing is that we are still 2-3 months away from Peak Offseason…

Imo this is the depths of the off-season.  It’s always sad for me when Bills season is over, and a little sad when NFL is over.  Moving back the draft one month to April makes sense in that it bridges the two NFL seasons.

April draft, May OTAS, June training Camp, July and August preseason - then it’s on in September!

The draft kicks off massive player movement. Trades and cuts galore, and more cuts, and more cuts.

Beane will be dialing in this roster all along.  Bills off-season is about to get really interesting(and it has since FA).

Bills Mafia will have plenty to discus.  2023-2024 will be Buffalo’s year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I actually enjoy this part of the offseason (maybe a bit too much).  It' an exciting time!  FA and the draft are fun to watch unfold.  I watch the draft like it's a "playoff tournament".  

And then ...  we wait....  It's a long wait.

What day is the visit?

Personally I'm leaning towards signing Campbell and trading Oliver.  It's an upgrade despite Campbell's age, and if we can get some draft capital from an Oliver trade (or a new starting RT for example.... ), I think it's worth it.  Seems that Oliver isn't in the long term plans for the organization?  Or is that just opinion...

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Beane needs to lose the obsession with old guys. It hasn’t worked out for us once.

Other than Von, who are the "old guys" who didn't work out? If the age cutoff is 33 (Von's age last year), there's not really anyone who was signed for serious money with an expectation of a making a serious contribution. Lorenzo Alexander was 33 when we signed him, and we certainly got our money's worth. Rodger Saffold? Josh Norman? I don't think expectations were high with those two, and they lived down to those expectations. If Campbell signs anywhere the money he gets will reflect his age and expected limited playing time.

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Other than Von, who are the "old guys" who didn't work out? If the age cutoff is 33 (Von's age last year), there's not really anyone who was signed for serious money with an expectation of a making a serious contribution. Lorenzo Alexander was 33 when we signed him, and we certainly got our money's worth. Rodger Saffold? Josh Norman? I don't think expectations were high with those two, and they lived down to those expectations. If Campbell signs anywhere the money he gets will reflect his age and expected limited playing time.

That’s fair, but I wasn’t necessarily thinking of guys who were big time signings, I was just thinking of veteran players signed by Beane. Guys like Anquan Boldin and Vontae Davis. I understand they weren’t expected to be superstars, but they were supposed to be a veteran presence, instead they were epic busts. I know those guys didn’t cost much, but it’s a road I’d prefer not to travel going forward. I’ll take the Sherfield signing everyday over a mediocre veteran with name recognition. Campbell is obviously a step above many of the rest, but the price would have to be a bargain for me to have any interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.