Calais Campbell *update beane said no visit scheduled

Reed83HOF

55 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He’s too old… AJ Epinesa had more sacks than he did last season.  Unless Campbell signs the vet minimum I will passs

isnt AJ an end ?

and Campbell an inside guy ?

But yes, I got the humor :)

Edited by 3rdand12

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The way to look at a Calais Campbell signing is whether he's a better value and has a greater impact than Jordan Phillips

Fixed it. And although I love Phillips when healthy, I think the coliseum would be a welcome addition to our front if the price is right 

19 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, I'm lukewarm at best about Campbell.

However, one thing that hasn't come up in these hundreds of pages of free agent conversations is that there is a legit point to be made for "incremental improvement." Of course everyone wants the splash signing for a "difference maker."

I understand that signings like the Bills have done so far don't move the needle but what happens if a team like the Bills is successful at improving 4-5 positions during one offseason?

I mean it depends on the positions we are talking about. I'm taking a guess here, but the 2 biggest issues are OL and WR. I think on the OL all that can be expected is incremental improvement and I think we achieved that. If a guy on the OL misses a few games, can we survive it? I think so, we did last season and the season before...I do like a RT in the draft a lot. A small improvement at OG play will make Morse and the OTs look a lot better.

What does incremental improvement at the WR position look like? First i think you have to look at our WRs - if Diggs had to miss time what do we have? We have the same offense when the defense takes him away, but it would be even worse because they wouldn't be doubling a player who isn't playing and would roll the coverage elsewhere. Incremental improvement in the WR room, is basically the 2 signings we made so far replacing Kumerow and Lil Dirty. Much like Beane has done in the past is look for WRs out there, who look like they could have more production if they get more touches, but with the exception of Diggs, who cost a 1st, there is a limit as to what you can get out of them. Greg Cosell indicated this offseason and he is 100% correct, we need a 3 level WR who can run a full route tree to take pressure off of Stef - these 2 guys aren't it. Gabe cannot run a full tree and as Peterson Said they knew where our WRs were going - how much is scheme vs Player skillset limitations. Incremental Improvement in this area, doesn't really solve a lot of those problems. I think a difference maker is needed here...

So to make this response work well in this thread, DL is the same way. Once Von went out, most of the line were JAGS. The next most valuable player was Daquan Jones, everyone else was replacement level. They need 1 more impact DT IMO, incremental improvement here makes how much of a difference - a slightly better Oliver, Lawson, Philips, Settle, Epenesa, Basham and even Rousseau tailed off after Von went out, he might be our only hope for development there.

We place a base 2 LB set and we have 1 all-pro, not sold on our other options on our team starting there, but I don't need 2 LBs who are $30 mil a season. We can find someone who will be acceptable enough to replace Edmunds; likely draft

I don't see us needing impact DBs, but we do need to start looking at incrementally improve saftey depth and have a plan there. Just remember our 2 awesome safeties were 2 other teams trash - I'm not worried about big different makers yet. 

So yeah, I see 2 positions where we need a splash - DL and WR...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I mean it depends on the positions we are talking about. I'm taking a guess here, but the 2 biggest issues are OL and WR. I think on the OL all that can be expected is incremental improvement and I think we achieved that. If a guy on the OL misses a few games, can we survive it? I think so, we did last season and the season before...I do like a RT in the draft a lot...

What does incremental improvement at the WR position look like? First i think you have to look at our WRs - if Diggs had to miss time what do we have? We have the same offense when the defense takes him away, but it would be even worse because they wouldn't be doubling a player who isn't playing and would roll the coverage elsewhere. Incremental improvement in the WR room, is basically the 2 signings we made so far replacing Kumerow and Lil Dirty. Much like Beane has done in the past is look for WRs out there, who look like they could have more production if they get more touches, but with the exception of Diggs, who cost a 1st, there is a limit as to what you can get out of them. Greg Cosell indicated this offseason and he is 100% correct, we need a 3 level WR who can run a full route tree to take pressure off of Stef - these 2 guys aren't it. Gabe cannot run a full tree and as Peterson Said they knew where our WRs were going - how much is scheme vs Player skillset limitations. Incremental Improvement in this area, doesn't really solve a lot of those problems. I think a difference maker is needed here...

So to make this response work well in this thread, DL is the same way. Once Von went out, most of the line were JAGS. The next most valuable player was Daquan Jones, everyone else was replacement level. They need 1 more impact DT IMO, incremental improvement here makes how much of a difference - a slightly better Oliver, Lawson, Philips, Settle, Epenesa, Basham and even Rousseau tailed off after Von went out, he might be our only hope for development there.

We place a base 2 LB set and we have 1 all-pro, not sold on our other options on our team starting there, but I don't need 2 LBs who are $30 mil a season. We can find someone who will be acceptable enough to replace Edmunds; likely draft

I don't see us needing impact DBs, but we do need to start looking at incrementally improve saftey depth and have a plan there. Just remember our 2 awesome safeties were 2 other teams trash - I'm not worried about big different makers yet. 

So yeah, I see 2 positions where we need a splash - DL and WR...

I agree with you but you've made the discussion "incrementally" more complex by introducing the idea of injuries to specific players.

I think very few teams can absorb the loss of players like Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, Travis Kelce, Aaron Donald, etc, etc, etc.

Assuming Diggs and Miller remain healthy I think the receiving corps is stronger than last years and will be fine... as long as Dorsey improves. 

I do wish we had another pass rusher to mix in with Miller and Rousseau.

• Agree 1

Is this Plan B if we don't trade for DHop? How are we going to pay for guys like this? They may settle for less than what they've been making, but Beane said we only had $9 million left and he doesn't want to mortgage the future.

Campbell and DHop still have something left in the tank. I guess I'll just wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I agree with you but you've made the discussion "incrementally" more complex by introducing the idea of injuries to specific players.

I think very few teams can absorb the loss of players like Stefon Diggs, Von Miller, Travis Kelce, Aaron Donald, etc, etc, etc.

Assuming Diggs and Miller remain healthy I think the receiving corps is stronger than last years and will be fine... as long as Dorsey improves. 

I do wish we had another pass rusher to mix in with Miller and Rousseau.

LOL that I did. There are a few positions that really standout more than others. Perhaps I should have simply said that when Diggs was taken away, our offense struggled mightily and our DL fell apart without Von. Our LB would fall apart without both of the 2 LBs . I still discount the overall defense a bit and would say our DL would have been fine as it was after Von getting hurt if we had that WR1B as we could still score and not stall out. Why do I say this - see the superbowl.  It's my own foolish want for a more impactful DT guy

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Still good against the run, 5.5 sacks and 14 QB hits. Not sure why anyone would be a opposed to bringing him in cheap for a year. 

Yeah, 37 doesn't bother me. Reggie White played at a high level at 39. Sign him to a 1 yr/ 1M deal. Let him rotate in. Besides it's doubtful Von jumps in week1.  Hopefully next year there will be better DT's available in the draft.  Ed us likely gone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’d be a DT here…

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yea idk why people are talking about him as a DE. He’d be a moveable chess piece for sure but he’d slot as a 3T here 

That settles it. Oliver is gone. They are planning for life without him. Wooooooooooooo, we got Deandre Hopkins. 

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

Interesting, I see him being a really good rotational piece. He's a guy who can play inside on passing downs and outside on running downs. Jacksonville used him in this fashion. He has enough in the tank for a rotational guy. Leadership and experience. Like it.   

Also a mentor for Groot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.