Bills Sign OG David Edwards

MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He's only got 1 more year in the league than Edwards and Bates (26 1/2 next fall) and 2 more than Connor McGovern (26 next fall).  Does calendar age really make that much difference for an OLman?

Good point. The only reason I bring it up is that he has such little experience so far, so just thinking long-term trajectory he isn't the best investment. All three of those guys are 2ish years younger and have significantly more experience both in the league and in college. Just doesn't seem like the most worthy investment of effort and time. But for depth, for sure. 

On 3/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

i like the signing, makes a ton of sense, but is it just me or does giving up 6 sacks and being good enough for 6th best, sound like a lot???

yeah, someone in the analytics department must have read something wrong.  Maybe tied for 6th highest among guards.  But nowhere close to being 6th best among all OL. 

More important..in his "good" year, 2021, he gave up around 35 pressures, which is about what Saffold gave up last year.  McGovern is a little better in pass pro, but not much of a run blocker. 

I don't really hate the signing, except if it is used as a reason why we "fixed" the IOL and then wait until the later rounds to draft anyone. 

He doesn't really improve anything. 

The good news is Beane was able to bring in two interesting IOL prospects to compete in camp, and hopefully contribute. And there was not a lot of talent available, so good on him. Bad news is that even after adding Edwards and McGovern, pretty much nobody currently on the IOL is a bona-fide stud, unless someone is really sandbagging. 

47 minutes ago, In Summary said:

The Bills deserve a dominant inside OL player. That player is still not on the team. 

Pretty sure it’s been said a bunch of times but the majority of NFL teams don’t have that player

Maybe we get lucky in the draft but in free agency, those players cost a ton

I am not convinced that any of the free agents this year were that player

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Pretty sure it’s been said a bunch of times but the majority of NFL teams don’t have that player

Maybe we get lucky in the draft but in free agency, those players cost a ton

I am not convinced that any of the free agents this year were that player

Seumalo was that guy

Highly rated at both pass pro and run blocking by numerous analysts, a proven commodity

The Bills are paying McGovern more cash up front and the same 8mil per for 3 years 

Bills will also have a higher dead cap hit (6mil) if they let him go after a year.

Seumalo should have been the target but the word is that McGovern was their target all along.

Judging by the offensive line additions the last few years that does not surprise me. 

33 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Seumalo was that guy

Highly rated at both pass pro and run blocking by numerous analysts, a proven commodity

The Bills are paying McGovern more cash up front and the same 8mil per for 3 years 

Bills will also have a higher dead cap hit (6mil) if they let him go after a year.

Seumalo should have been the target but the word is that McGovern was their target all along.

Judging by the offensive line additions the last few years that does not surprise me. 

If he truly was that guy, he would’ve been signed at the start of free agency and got big money

The question you really should be asking is why didn’t he? People are a lot smarter than you and me would know whether he’s not he’s worth that money.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

If he truly was that guy, he would’ve been signed at the start of free agency and got big money

The question you really should be asking is why didn’t he? People are a lot smarter than you and me would know whether he’s not he’s worth that money.

Time will tell

I think he is and will be the far better player 

He probably started out asking for a lot and settled for less

My point is that the Bills weren't aiming that high and overpaid instead of getting the bargain on the better player. The line needs more talent, plain and simple; not more let's bring in some jags and hope for the best. 

Edited by Turk71

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Time will tell

My point is that the Bills weren't aiming that high and overpaid instant of getting the bargain on the better player. The line needs more talent, plain and simple; not more let's bring in some jags and hope for the best. 

If he was the best guard on the market, he wouldn’t of had to worry about asking for too much teams would’ve been falling over themselves to give it to him because it’s so hard to find good guards

you’re right Time will tell my prediction is the production of McGovern and this guy will be almost identical in the passing game and then the running game that’s schemed anyway

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If he was the best guard on the market, he wouldn’t of had to worry about asking for too much teams would’ve been falling over themselves to give it to him because it’s so hard to find good guards

you’re right Time will tell my prediction is the production of McGovern and this guy will be almost identical in the passing game and then the running game that’s schemed anyway

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I like that Kramer was likely involved in recruiting.  Hopefully Bates can be moved next to LT where he has played better and Edwards is RG.  if RT is injured he may be able to move to RT and already being  on right side with help him.

Where are you playing McGovern?

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Seumalo was that guy

Yea while I am higher on McGovern than you, Seumalo was the ideal guy for me. Best guard on the market. I actually like McGovern and Edwards, they are both good players (I think both are upgrades on our guard play last year) but I don't expect either to be in the conversation for a top 10 guard in the league whereas I think Seumalo could be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think there’s gonna be a competition, and there is a chance that bates ends up becoming the first guard center  off the bench

Yes, I agree with that.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea while I am higher on McGovern than you, Seumalo was the ideal guy for me. Best guard on the market. I actually like McGovern and Edwards, they are both good players (I think both are upgrades on our guard play last year) but I don't expect either to be in the conversation for a top 10 guard in the league whereas I think Seumalo could be.

I'd like to know why we targeted McGovern and were not apparently a player for Seumalo.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo News article (may be behind paywall) where McVay has some nice things to say about Edwards:
https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/new-bills-offensive-lineman-david-edwards-was-critical-factor-for-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-said/article_96141a2c-ce83-11ed-b1eb-8bce2010a129.html

A couple highlights:

“Aaron Kromer was instrumental in his development,” McVay said. “And so, I know he's really excited to be able to get him back with him.”

“He's been a critical factor at the left guard spot for us for a long period of time,” McVay said. “(The Bills are) getting a great player, great person, great athleticism, for the size that he plays with, on the inside.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 3/25/2023 at 7:33 AM, Dr. Who said:

I'd like to know why we targeted McGovern and were not apparently a player for Seumalo.

My guess is age......he's 30.......plus the fact that he's had some injuries and was really only close to this level of player in his walk year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:35 AM, Turk71 said:

Time will tell

My point is that the Bills weren't aiming that high and overpaid instead of getting the bargain on the better player. The line needs more talent, plain and simple; not more let's bring in some jags and hope for the best. 

Seomalu was part of a line with arguably the best C and RT in football, and a very good LG. They also had a running QB and were a run heavy team.

As someone in tune with the Eagles due to my location, this guy may very well have been a product of the system and the talent around him. I believe the Eagles didn't try to hold onto him in part to that belief. 

I wouldn't have paid him as a top flight IOL based off of what was really one standout season, and it appears many other teams had the same reservations.

Time will ultimately tell, but I think there was enough there to pump the brakes on the guy

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Seomalu was part of a line with arguably the best C and RT in football, and a very good LG. They also had a running QB and were a run heavy team.

As someone in tune with the Eagles due to my location, this guy may very well have been a product of the system and the talent around him. I believe the Eagles didn't try to hold onto him in part to that belief. 

I wouldn't have paid him as a top flight IOL based off of what was really one standout season, and it appears many other teams had the same reservations.

Time will ultimately tell, but I think there was enough there to pump the brakes on the guy

I followed him pretty closely after the middle of this past season.........and I didn't see the system hiding weaknesses in Seomalu.    He just looked great.   The metrics that had him ranked as the top pass blocking guard in the NFL from the midway point thru the Super Bowl itself passed the eye test.    He was killing it.  I do think the big question is sustainability.   He made a HUGE leap last year after a long run of mediocrity and injury and now he's in his 30's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.