Bills Sign OG David Edwards

MAJBobby

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I would say that if he had to sign cheaper, why not with an OL coach you like and a SB contender?

I like the signing, just trying to answer Einstein's question. I'm still waiting for his current thoughts on quantum theory. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well "fast to process" is one immediate difference to Edmunds. Haha. 

Edmunds is what I consider a latetal linebacker. He is at his best going sideline to sideline. Campbell is a vertical linebacker. He is at his best attacking the line of scrimmage. He is more like a younger, more athletic AJ Klein to me. 

Just scheme the defense accordingly. Bills were over dependent upon Edmunds skill set and likely compensated for his slow reads and commit to the gap.
 would rather have a guy at MLB who could stack and shed and pick the correct leverage. then move into the proper lane to INITIATE contact lol

Cheers Bill !

I’m not sure if this is right but with a QB like Josh aren’t the guards and the center more important than the tackles?  He can help neutralize the edge rushers with his feet. I really think Browny will improve this year, but I think it’s the guard play that we needed reinforcement. 

Edited by Marlton Bills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think if we trade for DeAndre Hopkins, Jack Campbell becomes the favorite for our 1st round pick. His fit with us makes too much sense. No one should complain if that happens. We'll have spent the entire free agency period up to that point upgrading the offense. We've signed zero defensive players.

That was my line of thinking as well. Size wise, Campbell is a clone of Edmunds and while not as fast over the 40, he has  comparable athleticism in other areas. He just seems like a McD kind of player and we certainly have a need now that Tremaine is in Chicago. 

Other than TE, we have addressed every positional group on the O side of the ball. Now a lot can happen between now and the draft, but at the moment the signs are pointing at defense yet again for our first round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

I’m not sure if this is right but with a QB like Josh aren’t the guards and the center more important than the tackles?  He can help neutralize the she rushers with his feet. I really think Browny will improve this year, but I think it’s the guard play that we needed reinforcement. 

Agree totally with the G/C comment.  LT is the blind spot so it's important.  A lot of Josh's fumbles come from the blindside.

I do feel if the line is good with those 4, the least important is the RT.  Josh has a knacked to move around that DE.

It's the guys in his face that cause the most disruption to him IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Another backup OL? We have more backup OL than any other team, including the ones we give starting jobs to. I guess with our salary cap situation and the other holes on our roster, we'll have to wait until at least 2024 to get this OL up to speed. I think having a former DC as HC has given OBD the attitude that you can win a SB with a bad OL if your QB is good at running for his life. I just wonder how much better Josh would look if we had a good OL and run game. I just think this 'not the very worst is good enough' attitude is going to hold us back.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Another backup OL? We have more backup OL than any other team, including the ones we give starting jobs to. I guess with our salary cap situation and the other holes on our roster, we'll have to wait until at least 2024 to get this OL up to speed. I think having a former DC as HC has given OBD the attitude that you can win a SB with a bad OL if your QB is good at running for his life. I just wonder how much better Josh would look if we had a good OL and run game. I just think this 'not the very worst is good enough' attitude is going to hold us back.

lol the guy was a starter for 4 years for LA

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think if we trade for DeAndre Hopkins, Jack Campbell becomes the favorite for our 1st round pick. His fit with us makes too much sense. No one should complain if that happens. We'll have spent the entire free agency period up to that point upgrading the offense. We've signed zero defensive players.

Sorry, but no. We haven't upgraded the offense or the defense for that matter. We've added depth players other than Poyer and Harris, but Poyer was already with us and Harris is no better than Singletary. So even with those 2 signings, it's a wash. With the possible exception of Harty, the rest are castoffs, backups.
Beane has missed on too many high (Day 1 & 2) picks and now we're paying for it -- Basham, Brown, Ford, Oliver, Cook, Bernard, Epenesa, Moss, Singletary, Harrison Phillips. All of these guys are bad, underperforming or no longer on the roster. Cook has a chance to be good, but only in a limited role. Brown has yet to develop, if he ever will.
Beane can't possibly fix that in 1 draft weekend. That bill has come due and restructuring more contracts just adds to future salary cap problems. It will take another offseason or 2 to fix this and that assumes that Beane gets red hot and makes all the right moves.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

If Buffalo drafts an offensive lineman in April at this point it should be someone who is position versatile, someone who can play on the inside or outside.  That rules out O'Cyrus Torrence, who is a guard only.

Matthew Bergeron. Could get him in the second.

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Sorry, but no. We haven't upgraded the offense or the defense for that matter. We've added depth players other than Poyer and Harris, but Poyer was already with us and Harris is no better than Singletary. So even with those 2 signings, it's a wash. With the possible exception of Harty, the rest are castoffs, backups.
Beane has missed on too many high (Day 1 & 2) picks and now we're paying for it -- Basham, Brown, Ford, Oliver, Cook, Bernard, Epenesa, Moss, Singletary, Harrison Phillips. All of these guys are bad, underperforming or no longer on the roster. Cook has a chance to be good, but only in a limited role. Brown has yet to develop, if he ever will.
Beane can't possibly fix that in 1 draft weekend. That bill has come due and restructuring more contracts just adds to future salary cap problems. It will take another offseason or 2 to fix this and that assumes that Beane gets red hot and makes all the right moves.

We currently do not have a middle linebacker starter on the roster

It’s gonna have to come from somewhere

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.