If the draft we're today...

I'd say this teams biggest needs as of today are (no particular order): 

True #2 WR - I know there are a lot of Gabe Davis fans out there, but to me the Bills need more than Gabe Davis.  No doubt about it, he's solid, but teams last year showed how to stop the Bills: Double Diggs, put their best #1 CB on Gabe Davis = shut us down.  It's probably wishful thinking, but send Ed Oliver and a 3rd or 4th to either Tampa or Arizona for Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins.  Make a splash Buffalo.  Teams in our division are.  Miami, the Jets, all are make legit strong pushes to take over the division.  Stop trying to build through the draft every year and go after a legit day 1 impact player.

MLB:  Bobby Wagner on a 1 year deal here makes so much sense.  Granted I know our CAP space is tight, but there's ways to work around this. This draft isn't loaded with great MLB's.  

Dominant DT - Right now I think we have Oliver, Settle, and Jones on the roster?  We need a stud run stuffer in the middle.  Someone 320+, not another 280lb DT like Ed.  If we could get a 3rd or 4th out of Oliver, I'd do it in a heart beat. 

Right Tackle - Someone has to come in and compete with Spencer Brown.  He has ranked near the bottom in his two years in the NFL.  I know Beane gave him some praise at the end of year presser, but you can't tell me they're satisfied with what he's shown.  He and Saffold were hands down the two worse players on our Oline last year.  

Backup QB - I think the Bills are going to try and draft a late round QB to compete with Barkley for the backup spot.  A backup QB would cost a lot less than signing a veteran and we've seen in the league the last couple years several late round QB's become decent quality QB's.

So this would mean WR, MLB, DT, and RT are all our biggest needs.  Looking at PFF's Big Board

WR: 5 ranked inside the top 30/ 2 inside the top 11

DT: 3 inside the top 30/ 2 inside the top 13

RT: 4 inside the top 30/ 2 inside top 20

MLB: 0 inside the top 30/ 4 from 37 to 66

Obviously their rankings don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things and most NFL teams could look a lot different, but just for reference it does show which positions are strong in the early rounds.  

Unless the Bills do the unthinkable and send a pick for a Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins, I'd say the likeliest choice at 27 will be WR or RT.  Flowers, Addison, Downs, or Harrison, Jones (Georgia), or Jones (OSU).  

Whoever it is needs to be a day 1 impact starter.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Are you forgetting the Bills signed Kyle Allen? They aren't drafting a "backup quarterback " this year. Maybe an undrafted arm for camp.

Forget the Hopkins fatasy; I just don't think Beane can raise much more money via restructures. Can't assume another team wants Oliver, but if you DO trade him,you create another roster hole.

And....if you SIGN WAGNER fine,for THIS year. But then,where would you DRAFT the eventual MLB? Would you wait until next year?

Edited by Herb Nightly
Add Oliver trade
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’ve seen so many lists like this. It’s impossible for me to believe that as things stand right now their biggest hole isn’t at MLB. They literally don’t have one. This isn’t to say that it’ll be the top draft pick or a free agent pick up…but as of this minute they are NOT going into the new season with what they have in the proverbial stock room. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

This is a reasonable list, but I agree with the previous post that the #1 glaring hole, right now, is MLB.  There is nobody on the current roster who can adequatlely fill that role.  I think that they need to both sign a veteran and also draft one.  Where in the draft you select one will depend on who they sign in FA before the draft.

More OL help, a #2 WR and a backup safety are also on the list.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

This is a reasonable list, but I agree with the previous post that the #1 glaring hole, right now, is MLB.  There is nobody on the current roster who can adequatlely fill that role.  I think that they need to both sign a veteran and also draft one.  Where in the draft you select one will depend on who they sign in FA before the draft.

More OL help, a #2 WR and a backup safety are also on the list.

My question is...if, for example,you sign Wagner,why would you invest a high pick on another MLB, that would be sitting on the  bench? 

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

The Edwards signing boosts the IOL so, for better or worse, I think they're about done there.

R1 - LB/OT

R2 - OT/LB

R3 - WR/DL

R4 - DL/WR

R5 - S/TE

R6 - TE/S

Problem with this is based on several different big boards, not many LB's ranked high.  Most have shown early 2nd rounds for the highest rated LB's.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Problem with this is based on several different big boards, not many LB's ranked high.  Most have shown early 2nd rounds for the highest rated LB's.

Either get Campbell in the 2nd rd or Sewell in the 3rd or 4th

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The Edwards signing boosts the IOL so, for better or worse, I think they're about done there.

R1 - LB/OT

R2 - OT/LB

R3 - WR/DL

R4 - DL/WR

R5 - S/TE

R6 - TE/S

Agree. It’s looking more and more like a high draft pick on IOL isn’t going to happen. Maybe someone like Vorhees in the 4th or later. 

47 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve seen so many lists like this. It’s impossible for me to believe that as things stand right now their biggest hole isn’t at MLB. They literally don’t have one. This isn’t to say that it’ll be the top draft pick or a free agent pick up…but as of this minute they are NOT going into the new season with what they have in the proverbial stock room. 

Wrong. They do have one. They drafted bernard last year with a day 2 pick as insurance in losing edmunds. They need to develop him and make it work. Can’t keep dumping into the d and ignoring the offense with premium picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.