2024 comp pick update

HappyDays

It's less about focusing on getting comp picks than it is being able to sign guys who can contribute so that they don't affect getting a comp pick.  If you told me the Bills could get a possible pair of starting OGs, a 3rd WR and a RB who scored 15 TDs for under $1.8M, I'd have said no way.

Actually the NFL ranks Tremaine as the 61st best player in the league, as per his new contract, thus potentially the top tier 3rd round comp, noting any FA signed after the April/May draft doesn't count, nor any FA signings under 2.5M, so G Edwards also didn't count, not Harris or Sherfield

However a DL Calais C FA signing might negate the 3rd round comp

jc 

11 minutes ago, wilcoam said:

Actually the NFL ranks Tremaine as the 61st best player in the league, as per his new contract, thus potentially the top tier 3rd round comp, noting any FA signed after the April/May draft doesn't count, nor any FA signings under 2.5M, so G Edwards also didn't count, not Harris or Sherfield

However a DL Calais C FA signing might negate the 3rd round comp

jc 

I believe Campbell was released and so that wouldn’t affect comp picks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So many experts. So little time.

In summary - 

As noted above, not all players count. Only unrestricted free agents (that includes RFA and ERFA candidates who are not tendered) whose contracts expired on the last day of the league year, and whose new contracts fall inside the top 35% of all player contracts count (currently around $2.5 - $3.0 mil). Players who were released before the start of "free agency" do not count. Also, tagged players whose tag was rescinded count. The deadline for signed players to count in the formula is 4:00 PM eastern on the Monday following the draft (May 1st this year).

If a player initially counts and is then cut, he generally doesn't count any more. But he could still count if the amount of money earned before being cut still puts him inside the top 35% of all contracts. But the value would of course then be lowered depending on where his earnings eventually fit in. That's why the official list isn't released until after the season.

The contract figure used considers the entire contract salary, bonuses and incentives, including likely to be earned and not likely to be earned, divided by the number of years in the signed contract. It is also adjusted after the season to adjust for these factors, and is also a reason why the official list isn't released until after the season.

The formula used to be a secret - or at least was never made public. Since the signing of the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement (when some of the rules were tweaked) however, the exact formula and all its rules have been available to anyone who wants to take the time to read and understand them. It's listed in the CBA as Appendix V, and starts on page 399.

But for most of us, the OTC site does a pretty good job with their predictions. Some picks, of course, are adjusted during and at the end of the season for reasons listed above. But those are usually the bottom of the 7th round choices. For example, there are generally 32 picks given each year under the formula. Adjusting of contracts after the season can easily result in a player who would normally fall at say, 39 (no pick) to jump up to 31 (a 7th), or something similar, and vice-versa. 

Signed, Specifically yours,

Cliff Claven

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/24/2023 at 10:32 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

I know this is like a common joke here, but nobody is going to help NE anymore. Theta re just another average franchise now 

It's not about "helping" anyone. There are very clearly defined rules to this, no real surprises why a team does or doesn't get comp picks.

It's not like they just randomly assign these to teams.

I'm simply of the opinion there should not be any comp picks. There was a time they helped balance things now they are simply unnecessary and teams game the system.

Edited by Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So many experts. So little time.

In summary - 

As noted above, not all players count. Only unrestricted free agents (that includes RFA and ERFA candidates who are not tendered) whose contracts expired on the last day of the league year, and whose new contracts fall inside the top 35% of all player contracts count (currently around $2.5 - $3.0 mil). Players who were released before the start of "free agency" do not count. Also, tagged players whose tag was rescinded count. The deadline for signed players to count in the formula is 4:00 PM eastern on the Monday following the draft (May 1st this year).

If a player initially counts and is then cut, he generally doesn't count any more. But he could still count if the amount of money earned before being cut still puts him inside the top 35% of all contracts. But the value would of course then be lowered depending on where his earnings eventually fit in. That's why the official list isn't released until after the season.

The contract figure used considers the entire contract salary, bonuses and incentives, including likely to be earned and not likely to be earned, divided by the number of years in the signed contract. It is also adjusted after the season to adjust for these factors, and is also a reason why the official list isn't released until after the season.

The formula used to be a secret - or at least was never made public. Since the signing of the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement (when some of the rules were tweaked) however, the exact formula and all its rules have been available to anyone who wants to take the time to read and understand them. It's listed in the CBA as Appendix V, and starts on page 399.

But for most of us, the OTC site does a pretty good job with their predictions. Some picks, of course, are adjusted during and at the end of the season for reasons listed above. But those are usually the bottom of the 7th round choices. For example, there are generally 32 picks given each year under the formula. Adjusting of contracts after the season can easily result in a player who would normally fall at say, 39 (no pick) to jump up to 31 (a 7th), or something similar, and vice-versa. 

Signed, Specifically yours,

Cliff Claven

Nice write up. 

I'm too busy to look it up so I will just ask you. 

I've never heard of the top 35% rule. I know that only UFA are eligible to be counted. I thought the size of the contract only mattered in determining the round that the comp pick is awarded. I thought all you needed to be is net negative in the number of free agents signed/lost. Is the 35% rule by position? Because it doesn't make a lot of sense as obviously QB, LT, WR, and DE make so much more than other positions. Also what period of time is used for the 35%. The entire contract? That,makes no sense as there are so many bonuses included in contracts in the later years. 

The year they lost out on a Gilmore comp pick the scrubs that they signed could not have had contracts in the top 35%. They were all street level free agents there were just too many of them. 

Any how, at this point I must assume Beane knows the rules and if he blows it again he should really explain what the hell. Like this safety they just signed. Could that not have waited until after the draft when you say the counting stops??

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Nice write up. 

I'm too busy to look it up so I will just ask you. 

I've never heard of the top 35% rule. I know that only UFA are eligible to be counted. I thought the size of the contract only mattered in determining the round that the comp pick is awarded. I thought all you needed to be is net negative in the number of free agents signed/lost. Is the 35% rule by position? Because it doesn't make a lot of sense as obviously QB, LT, WR, and DE make so much more than other positions. Also what period of time is used for the 35%. The entire contract? That,makes no sense as there are so many bonuses included in contracts in the later years. 

The year they lost out on a Gilmore comp pick the scrubs that they signed could not have had contracts in the top 35%. They were all street level free agents there were just too many of them. 

Any how, at this point I must assume Beane knows the rules and if he blows it again he should really explain what the hell. Like this safety they just signed. Could that not have waited until after the draft when you say the counting stops??

The reason we lost out on Gilmore by signing scrubs was because it used to be any player in the top 50% counted. And it's possible there was a time when all FAs signed counted (which is why a lot of people still think it is), I can't say for sure there. But it's not that way any more. With teams signing 90 players, the majority of whom are very low contracts, it's not hard to fall into the top 50%. This year the top 35% is somewhere in the $2.5-$3.0 mil range. At 50%, like I'm pretty sure it used to be when we lost out on a pick for Gilmore, the figure would of course be much lower, and a lot more so-called scrubs would be figured into the formula. It was changed to 35% with the 2020 CBA.

And the top 35% is not just the first year, it's the average per year of the total contract, figured as I explained above. You take the total of all salary and bonuses and divide by the number of years in the contract. So even if a guy has only a $2 mil salary in his first year, but a $20 mil signing bonus plus a huge salary in year 4 plus a huge roster bonus in year 2, it all adds up and is divided by the number of years in the contract. So the guy might only have a $2 million base salary for the first year, but if his contract is for a total of $40 million over 4 years, then he goes into the formula at $10 mil per year, while every other player in the league's contract (for the purposes of comp picks) is also figured the same. If the player's contract falls inside the top 35% he counts, and if it's outside he doesn't. 

Edited by Tuco

After the money is computed, it is transferred to a point system.

Then the following is used to come up with the total points for each player.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/appendix/V

All players shall be assigned additional points based on honors or participation, as follows:

Selected 1st Team ALL NFL by PFWA or 1st Team ALL PRO by AP: 20 points.

Selected All Conference by PFWA (except if selected ALL NFL or ALL PRO above): 5 points.

One point for each percent of the total offensive/defensive plays in which the player participated (excluding special teams) provided that the player participated in a minimum of 25% of the offensive/ defensive plays (excluding special teams). For example: 67% participation equals 67 points, 0% to 24.99% participation equals no points. Exception: in the case of punters and place-kickers, 1 point will be awarded for each punt attempted and 1 point for each punt inside the 20-yard line during the regular season for the punters, and 2 points for each field goal attempted and 1 point for each field goal made during the regular season for place-kickers.

The sum of the numerical values in (a) and (b) above shall represent each player’s Final Numerical Value.

Each CFA’s Final Numerical Value shall be measured in percentile terms against all players’ Final Numerical Values to determine the position of a Club’s Compensatory Draft Selection, if any.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

See some people where completely wrong about how the comp pick formula works Beane himself said he’s been doing these type of signings to keep that 3rd rounder. 
So if they add to the roster it’s going to be someone who is cut or traded I wonder who might be traded 🤔

Um...Hopkins?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.